Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Magus is offline Badguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by SKDarkDragon View Post
    I definitely don't watch as much as I used to. In fact, I don't think I'm currently watching any new anime series. I still love my favorites. I was a KidsWB! girl back in like 2002, and watching YuGiOh and Pokemon. Moved over to CN and watched Toonami's Ruruoni Kenshin and YuYu Hakusho, and then moved on into Adult Swim and watched Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Witch Hunter Robin, and Wolf's Rain. Then I started watching stuff on the Anime on Demand channel, and getting DVDs of ADV series like Saiyuki.

After YuYu Hakusho ended on DVD, I think I kind of cooled off anime. I started watching Bleach, but it was just too long and dragged out for me. I never actually saw the end of YuGiOh, which is always a killer for me cause I was such a big fan. I watched Death Note and Bacanno! but those have been the most recent anime for me. I guess I feel like I've seen a lot of stuff, and nothing feels particularly engaging or fresh. If something else new and different comes along that piques my interest, though, I'll be sure to watch it.
    This is pretty much where I'm at as well. I still watch my favorites, and am currently looking for things to check out but nothing has been perking my interest and unfortunately this has been going on for several months now and my interest in anime has deteriorated quite a bit. Sure, you have a few sleepers out there like Hakuoki and Claymore that'll jump at me once in a while but there's been nothing else for me.

But at the same time I've also been doing a lot of procrastinating as well. There've been a few shows (Darker Than Black being one of them) I've been saying I'd check out but have never gotten around to doing so. Also, I'm just as picky as ever, if not more since the first type of anime I'm always looking for is action. Samurai action to be more specific. I may try to branch out once in a while (long while), and sometimes it work out (Death Note) but other times it's like a kick in the face and I end up regretting trying out something I shouldn't have given a chance to begin with (Highschool of the Dead, Evangelion).

Someone mentioned something about watching anime online. If there's a plus in that it's that I've become more opened to that now than I was back then since I never liked the idea of sitting in front of a computer for hours watching anime. (Truthfully, I still don't support it even though I do it) I share this computer with 3 other people so yeah, and nothing beats watching stuff on the big screen in your own room or whatever. (I tend to watch this tv alone nowdays since my folks talk a lot) I haven't really spent money on anime either since right now (or rather, for the longest) I haven't been in a position where I had the resources to spend money on anime (or I'd spend it on a game) so I tend to wait for it to air on tv or on demand but unfortunately, no luck there either. So yeah, I'm gradually losing interest.
    If you're going to light the fire, you better be prepared to put out the flame. ~Lex Luthor~

Ragebot is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaping Larry Jojo View Post
    I actually think my becoming something of a film-history nerd on the side has actually cemented my long term appreciation for anime. Although so-called "cinephiles" and anime fans rarely ever intersect, I think anime is just as broad, inventive, and vast an artform as "real" film and I've been pretty vocal about this when interacting with my local film community. I'd have no qualms about pairing a marathon run of a show like "Princess Tutu" with "The Red Shoes" and "The Turning Point." in a ballet-themed film retrospective.
    On this I wholeheartedly agree. One of my recent "a-ha!" moments was watching Frank Capra's It Happened One Night and realizing that the marriage shinanigans in the last two episodes of Ouran High School Host Club really hold up to the greats. (I'd probably say that series is essential viewing for lovers of golden age romantic comedy.)

Oh, and Millennium Actress is better than Rashomon.
    "You're fired. You're fired for costing this company millions of pounds. You're fired for insubordination. You're fired for lack of character!"
    "Very good. Happy Christmas!"

St. John Powell and Lane Pryce. Mad Men.

HellCat is offline Sincere charlatan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watch less, due to a mix of a lack of time, money and resources. It used to be that I didn't have the spare cash to risk on shows I hadn't tried before. Streams would ideally kill that issue but then they carry the problem of near everything I'm interested in being blocked here. Perfect example, I wanted to watch Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, but had to wait so long for a legal stream that my interest just died.
    I know people who are watching several shows by various means (some less than legal) and it amazes me. Also hasn't helped that it seems each year we're just seeing the same stuff repeated, only getting more and more creepy. Plot and characters are the deciding factors for me, so it does alot to drive me away when each season we just seem to have more creepy mild voyeur shows or 'House Full of Tsunderes'.

Keiichi is offline Prof Lurker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djm912 View Post
    I was just thinking earlier today about watching Gundam Wing again and seeing if it stands the test of time, and than seeing if Tekkaman Blade (Teknoman) holds up.
    I recently sat down and finished watching Tekkaman and I think he holds up pretty well. Anyway, this thread has turned out more interesting than I thought it would. Some good reads and many thoughts reflect my way of thinking now. I remember how when I first started I thought I'd never tire of anime and whould always remain "hardcore". Now I look at my present self and wonder what my past self would think of me.

Mr. Anime is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funny enough, I really haven't change that much in trems of my tastes towards anime and manga. Most of the stuff I liked back then I still like now. Although I supose I have been expanding my horizons by watching and reading a lot more of the less mainstream series and I find myself gravitating towards watching the sub over the English dub. I think it rather depressing to know that quite a few people here are losing interest.

Luna is offline Daydreamer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I started out,I was more into "magical girl" series (Sailor Moon,Magic Knight Rayearth,and a bit later Card Captor Sakura) and shoujo like Fushigi Yuugi,but now I'm more into shonen (Fullmetal Alchemist and Yu Yu Hakusho are my current faves)....

I have to say,I'm not as into anime as I was...There's been less new series I want to see (about the only series I'm looking forward to getting the DVDs for are the rest of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Inuyasha the Final Act),and I haven't been watching any anime on TV (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood hasn't aired new episodes yet,and I've given up on Bleach for the time being due to annoyances I have with Studio Pierrot/the fandom)...

I buy less manga,too,but I still pick up works by my favorite mangaka (Rumiko Takahashi,Yuu Watase,CLAMP,Arina Tanemura),and other series I really enjoy (Otomen,Kimi no Todeke,The Wallflower,Naruto,Bleach,Lucky Star)...I also really love the "Haruhi Suzumiya" novels...they're a fun read,and the pacing in them is good...
    "Yeah,well,I've got a dream too.But it's about singing and dancing and making people happy.That's the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with.And well,I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream.And it kind of makes us like a family." -Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Movie)

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sitting here watching my DVR tapping of Naruto Shippuden I've been pondering how much I've changed as a fan. My blog (link below) actually goes very into depth about this (I still have to finish my thoughts but the overall gist is still there).

But I think my watching habits have evolved and changed as anime's exposure in America has expanded and declined. My fandom began waaaaaaay back (1995) when Rumiko Takahashi was Viz's cash cow as opposed to the Shonen Jump line. Back then I put anime on a pedestal, like most fans tend to do, over American animation. But over time I began to see the strengths and flaws in both Western and Eastern animation and these days I tend to be interested in stories with good pacing, well done character development, and original concepts no matter where it comes from.

I still watch lots of anime but after ADV and Geneon overloaded the industry with so much sophomoric drivel I tend to stay with certain popular shows, the Shonen Trinity, Gainax, and stuff that has good word of mouth.

I think my interests aren't going to dwindle anytime soon (if ever) since I do balance out my interests in anime with other things and tend to be more critical of what series I do invest time into.

That...and One Piece isn't going to end anytime soon...

...if ever...

O-chan
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragebot View Post
    On this I wholeheartedly agree. One of my recent "a-ha!" moments was watching Frank Capra's It Happened One Night and realizing that the marriage shinanigans in the last two episodes of Ouran High School Host Club really hold up to the greats. (I'd probably say that series is essential viewing for lovers of golden age romantic comedy.)

Oh, and Millennium Actress is better than Rashomon.
    You know, you may have a point there about Ouran. In fact, a lot of anime in general has humour more akin to the screwball nature of Hollywood 1940s and 50s. Maybe the dialogue may not have the same punch for english language viewers, but the pacing, comedic timing and situations are quite comparable. Some people find that kind of comedy corny or unhip, but as a fan of old-school comedy, I do appreciate it.

As for Rashomon and Millennium Actress, it is my opinion that both directors have done better.

airfighter is offline The End of the Beginning.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watch a lot less anime and spend less time actively seeking out new shows or even participating in online discussions, but that's just one of the many predictable consequences of growing up. It's only natural to assume additional responsibilities and lose a fair amount of the free time I used to have for all my hobbies. Unfortunately, anime isn't going to be the exception.

At the same time, I've become a bit more analytical and versatile than outright critical or forgiving. I believe different shows can be appreciated on different levels and will consciously adjust my expectations if necessary, but this doesn't mean I won't try to consider their positives and negatives. For example, I don't particularly care for fanservice, one way or another, at this point in time....which means it's not going to significantly impact my viewing experience, if at all possible, but any given show really needs a lot more than that if it intends to keep my attention or earn any sort of respect.

On a related note, I've also realized that agreeing with either popular or critical opinion is far from an obligation. I'm willing to hear what others have to say, read reviews and participate in debates but this doesn't mean everyone will ever appreciate or dislike the same things. Respecting this diversity is far more important than imposing one's personal opinions on others. Nevertheless, exchanging views can be both fun and frustrating.

In addition, I've changed from not doing any research whatsoever to noticing at least some of the creative staff involved in any particular show and, if the information is available, look into what happens behind the scenes. It can be rather enlightening, depressing or at least entertaining, depending on the circumstances. Or perhaps all of the above.

In terms of the anime I watch...I've slowly but surely moved away from predominantly enjoying shounen series like Saint Seiya or Dragon Ball Z to also appreciating shoujo and a few other genres. I've even tried to pick up and read a few more manga or light novels instead of uniformly relying on whatever happens to be on TV or is otherwise readily available.
    In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same. - Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Apples and oranges...different but still tasty.

DonkeyKongSong is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    First I only watched stuff on broadcast TV. Then I branched now. Now, I'm down to only Pokémon and Deltora Quest. I still like the others, there's just no time for them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast