Cover Page: So the mini arc ends (yeah didn't expect this to be the ending but again pretty sure I've let it be known I haven't been able to predict this one at all) with the reveal that yes the Grandma knew that Carribou wasn't actually her son but thinks he's actually just as nice and thinks of him fondly. So she either found out or she's just a nice old lady who had a feel that maybe deep down Carribou isn't quite as horrible as he seems which was the thing he needed to actually do something nice for once. Kind of touching and kind of funny at the same time. Oh well I think this cover story was good since hey even if I didn't really know where it was going the entire time it kept my interest and in the end did tell a full story. Plus instead of just being in jail having Carribou with X Drake will lead to some interesting twists down the road... whatever those wind up being.
Review: Before we talk about the big reveal at the very end, here are my thoughts on the other moments of this chapter.
- Despite knowing he was ordered to die and having been lied to over and over, Bellamy can't get over his admiration for Doflamingo. I'm pretty sure that's going to build to something with Dof either doing something so horrible even Bellamy will loose all respect for the guy no matter how powerful he is, or this will actually go in a darker direction showing the fall of a man who refused to let go in his believes, even knowing how futile they honestly were. A story that in the end, sometimes foolish incredibly thick trust in one whose faith you should not gun for is all you feel you deserve, and that there are some who are so in deep to their philosphies they can't be changed... I'm guessing this will go for the former not the later but eh doesn't hurt to lay it out. And you know in most manga
the idea that Bellamy is still loyal to Doflamingo could be considered annoying but I don't know, something about it here does sort of work for me.
- I guess it was obvious that once we found out that Bartolameo was the ultimate Straw Hat fanboy he'd be trying to get the flame flame fruit to give to Luffy. And though I sort of like his dedication to Bellamy just because the two sort of fought together and I'm guessing trying to follow the philosphies of Straw Hat, I wonder again if this is the right direction for this sort of thing. Again we already have a fan character who gets all super embarrassed and is ultra defensive about Luffy so I wonder why have another? Actually you know what'd be funny: if they had a mix with Bartalameo being this giant bloodlust savage eel jerk who enjoys causing others misery but did have this huge dedication and fixation on Luffy and his crew. I think that's what Oda intended to go for but it's not really being shown well here. Maybe like have him try to be protective but mess it up and wind up hurting Bellamy and him not caring about that. I don't know I just think that's funnier.
- Speaking of comedy I will say there were some good jokes that worked here. Mostly the disguises Zoro Kinemon and Luffy had on and being thought of as toys as well as Usopp declaring the little girl will be his opponent (and if he is going to try frightening her into unconciousness, to quote Mr. Toomey Usopp's goal is "scaring the little GIRL" ... lady), as well as Franky's battle do. I also guess the SOP tagline was suppose to be a joke but never really came through at least in the version I read to really count as one so eh what are you going to do?
- Hmmm you know I had a feeling that the little girl would of been the one in charge of turning people into toys. I mean not only is she the only member of the Donquoixte pirates whose name we didn't know about (till now. Apparently she's sugar sugar. Cause she's the Donquoixte candy girl... honey honey) but also there had to be a reason why she apparently hasn't aged in 10 years since that flashback. I don't know how an ability to turn people into toys make you last eternally but eh maybe it's just one of those side effects you sometimes get when you eat a devil fruit. Like Alvida's made her not only all slippery but loose weight and actually be considered attractive. Also seems like the fight at the factory will involve her, Lao G, Delinger and her protector and one of Doflamingo's top men Trebol. So that should be an interesting set of fights especially since that actually puts the odds more in the enemy's favor since I have a feeling those army of dwarves aren't really going to be attacking the 4 main family members.
- You know I do wish Oda actually developed more time actually showing what's happening with Rebecca's fight. I mean now that it's really in the air who will ultimately win if Luffy isn't involved at all, I really want to see more of her in the actual collessium. Though interesting twist with her teaming up with... the only other female combatant I think. will Rebecca just wind up betrayed or will this woman lose to give Rebecca more of a chance? I don't know but I want to see more come of it then well the page we got.
- I actually had to recheck the Fishman Island arc because I could of sworn I thought Koala died. But then I remembered in that flashback she didn't die: the town just sold out Fisher Tiger and he died but I guess she didn't. And nice to see her actually do something with her life becoming a member of the Revolutionary army and to honor fishman apparently using Fishman karate. Hope she actually does something if she's around.
- I also note that apparently she became friends with Robin during Nico's time with the revolutionaries. Hmmm why does that sound familiar?
originally posted by me over 3 years ago.
. As for Robin we actually see her sailing with someone to Amazon Lily as she asks the person how he knows Luffy is there. He responds that he knows Luffy better then her and has a "special sense" about this sort of thing implying some sort of special devil fruit or power. And at the very end of the chapter we see it's Sabo now one of the leaders of the revolutionary army.
Well like a lot of things that I thought would happen in the series that didn't quite wind up happening. Still though this is by far the biggest thing and probably for some the only thing that people are going to be talking about with this one: that yup Sabo IS a member of the revolutonaries and comes face to face with Luffy and that's what got Straw Hat all choked up. Part of me wants to think it's a trick but if it wasn't the real Sabo, would Oda have just a page showing Luffy's reaction at that? No, you only do that if the reaciton is so big and important because the event is so big and important, and that can only be the case if Sabo is actually alive. And yeah I know a lot of people are going to say "oh in the data books Oda said he died" but first off the data book information isn't always correct and honestly that may of just been a tease. I mean there was a reason that right before the flashback in the Goa Kingdom ended you saw someone being carried away by the revolutonaries. There had to be some reason there was an image of an adult Sabo. And in the ending title pages, SOMEONE refilled the drinks on Ace and Whitebeard's graves. So yeah Sabo is back and actually this was a very cool and very awesome way of doing it. You show it enough to actually make you gasp without hinting enough about it right beforehand to make it seems too obvious. Plus unlike Mr. 2 who really was in a predictment where he should of died yet lived, Sabo always did have that margin of 'he could of made it" error. Plus hey it'd make sense why he'd be here though I'm not sure why he didn't compete. Maybe he knew Luffy was and is now going to take his place while Luffy does other things I don't know but still awesome reveal.
So overall really good chapter. A lot of set up and moving people into positions but outside of Thunderous Solider of Rage laying out the plan (and even that had a good empowering bit about rising to freedom and again some good comedy bits) it was all well done character stuff or had awesome reveals you didn't see coming yet don't feel out of place. In fact this just adds more elements to the mix that actually show just how much legs this arc has. I can easily see Dressrosa going into 2015 and hope if it does so it continues having more stuff like this in it. Well you know also some more battles as well since we should be seeing more action then it just getting teased.