Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Overlord is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who gets paid more American voice actors or Japanese Voice actors?

Like This Thread!
    Who earns more money on average American (and by extension Canadian) voice actors or Japanese voice actors?

We can do this on different levels, comparing both non union and union voice work pay rates in both countries, comparing anime dubbers with Japanese voice actors and comparing pre-lay voice actors with Japanese voice actors.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't know the answer, although I'd note that there's more than salary to consider here. In order to really answer this question, we also have to account for the standard of living in both countries.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

ThePRPD is offline The one with the nose.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When it comes to dubbing work it depends on the dubbing company. I don't know when it comes to the Japanese.
    Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad.
    The Cleveland Show
    is Mike Henry's idea. All Seth MacFarlane did was help get it running.

It would be a wonderful thing if "abridgers" would start coming up with their own titles.

Rud
    Rud is offline Nine Arts Dragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, im going to assume (based on absolutely nothing) that since in Japan there is so much more media requiring voice actors than there is in america (like how their animation industry is way more huge), that voice actors are more important over there in comparison (and more in demand), therefore they would be paid more over there than here in America.

(i repeat, the above is based on absolutely nothing)
    "I will turn your name into a synonym for weakness"

"Politics always takes vengeance on those that belittle it"

rubberchicken is offline The biggest thing since WWIII
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Voice actors get paid?

cohenmarioman is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Japanese get paid more overall because they train to be VAs. They not only voice anime, but dub many movies from many countries. The American VA get paid, but not enough to only voice act, they do other things, but so do the Japanese, just the Japanese make more money from the VA alone.

Union and nonunion dubs make no difference, since Japan makes more no matter what. Also, what makes it such a good thing to be a union VA, I always thought unions were a bad thing.

bleachj0j is offline Demon Slayer in training
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post
    Japanese get paid more overall because they train to be VAs. They not only voice anime, but dub many movies from many countries. The American VA get paid, but not enough to only voice act, they do other things, but so do the Japanese, just the Japanese make more money from the VA alone.

Union and nonunion dubs make no difference, since Japan makes more no matter what. Also, what makes it such a good thing to be a union VA, I always thought unions were a bad thing.
    Union dub usually get paid more that's why some voice actors only voice in union dub i.e Steve Blum. Crisppin Freeman etc

The Overlord is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post

In most non English countries, they have voice actors that dub American voices, I'm not sure they amke more money then voice actors in the English speaking world.

Well there a difference between union and non union dubbing in terms of pay rates. Not to mention pre lay acting tends to pay more then anime dubbing (Josh Seth made more money in some minor role in the SpongeBob movie then in most of his anime roles put together).

Tara strong for example, makes a pretty good living just as a voice actor, she has a pretty big house too. Does she make money compare to that of a Japanese VA?

Taekmkm is offline Ribbit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    American pre-lay->Japanese VA pre-lay->Japanese post-lay->food for scraps->American post-lay.
    Hit list:
    Lose =/= Loose
    Canon =/= Cannon

solomon is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberchicken View Post
    Voice actors get paid?

My sentiments exactly. (joke of course).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast