Search the Site:
Loading...
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    The Overlord is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Who gets paid more American voice actors or Japanese Voice actors?

    Like This Thread!

    Who earns more money on average American (and by extension Canadian) voice actors or Japanese voice actors?

    We can do this on different levels, comparing both non union and union voice work pay rates in both countries, comparing anime dubbers with Japanese voice actors and comparing pre-lay voice actors with Japanese voice actors.

  2. #2
    GWOtaku's Avatar
    GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    16,827
    Blog Entries
    45
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know the answer, although I'd note that there's more than salary to consider here. In order to really answer this question, we also have to account for the standard of living in both countries.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson
    ______________________
    Vote in the TZ Forums' "Battle of the Brackets" Action Cartoon Tournament!

  3. #3
    ThePRPD's Avatar
    ThePRPD is offline The one with the nose.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,743
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When it comes to dubbing work it depends on the dubbing company. I don't know when it comes to the Japanese.
    Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's bad.
    The Cleveland Show
    is Mike Henry's idea. All Seth MacFarlane did was help get it running.

    It would be a wonderful thing if "abridgers" would start coming up with their own titles.

  4. #4
    Rud's Avatar
    Rud
    Rud is online now Nine Arts Dragon
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,069
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, im going to assume (based on absolutely nothing) that since in Japan there is so much more media requiring voice actors than there is in america (like how their animation industry is way more huge), that voice actors are more important over there in comparison (and more in demand), therefore they would be paid more over there than here in America.

    (i repeat, the above is based on absolutely nothing)
    "I will turn your name into a synonym for weakness"

    "Politics always takes vengeance on those that belittle it"

  5. #5
    rubberchicken's Avatar
    rubberchicken is offline The biggest thing since WWIII
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Voice actors get paid?

  6. #6
    cohenmarioman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Japanese get paid more overall because they train to be VAs. They not only voice anime, but dub many movies from many countries. The American VA get paid, but not enough to only voice act, they do other things, but so do the Japanese, just the Japanese make more money from the VA alone.

    Union and nonunion dubs make no difference, since Japan makes more no matter what. Also, what makes it such a good thing to be a union VA, I always thought unions were a bad thing.

  7. #7
    bleachj0j's Avatar
    bleachj0j is offline Demon Slayer in training
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    1,929
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post
    Japanese get paid more overall because they train to be VAs. They not only voice anime, but dub many movies from many countries. The American VA get paid, but not enough to only voice act, they do other things, but so do the Japanese, just the Japanese make more money from the VA alone.

    Union and nonunion dubs make no difference, since Japan makes more no matter what. Also, what makes it such a good thing to be a union VA, I always thought unions were a bad thing.
    Union dub usually get paid more that's why some voice actors only voice in union dub i.e Steve Blum. Crisppin Freeman etc

  8. #8
    The Overlord is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post
    Japanese get paid more overall because they train to be VAs. They not only voice anime, but dub many movies from many countries. The American VA get paid, but not enough to only voice act, they do other things, but so do the Japanese, just the Japanese make more money from the VA alone.

    Union and nonunion dubs make no difference, since Japan makes more no matter what. Also, what makes it such a good thing to be a union VA, I always thought unions were a bad thing.
    In most non English countries, they have voice actors that dub American voices, I'm not sure they amke more money then voice actors in the English speaking world.

    Well there a difference between union and non union dubbing in terms of pay rates. Not to mention pre lay acting tends to pay more then anime dubbing (Josh Seth made more money in some minor role in the SpongeBob movie then in most of his anime roles put together).

    Tara strong for example, makes a pretty good living just as a voice actor, she has a pretty big house too. Does she make money compare to that of a Japanese VA?

  9. #9
    Taekmkm is offline Ribbit
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    American pre-lay->Japanese VA pre-lay->Japanese post-lay->food for scraps->American post-lay.
    Hit list:
    Lose =/= Loose
    Canon =/= Cannon

  10. #10
    solomon is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    US of A
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberchicken View Post
    Voice actors get paid?

    My sentiments exactly. (joke of course).

  11. #11
    cohenmarioman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    In most non English countries, they have voice actors that dub American voices, I'm not sure they amke more money then voice actors in the English speaking world.

    Well there a difference between union and non union dubbing in terms of pay rates. Not to mention pre lay acting tends to pay more then anime dubbing (Josh Seth made more money in some minor role in the SpongeBob movie then in most of his anime roles put together).

    Tara strong for example, makes a pretty good living just as a voice actor, she has a pretty big house too. Does she make money compare to that of a Japanese VA?
    Like I said, it doesn't matter if it is union or non-union, they still don't compare to the Japanese Seiyu pay.

    Quote Originally Posted by bleachj0j View Post
    Union dub usually get paid more that's why some voice actors only voice in union dub i.e Steve Blum. Crisppin Freeman etc

    What are some things that are considered union dub companies, and what are the shows that are dubbed by them?

    Also, what is pre-lay and post-lay?

  12. #12
    Daxdiv's Avatar
    Daxdiv is offline Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Unova, AKA Pokémon's NY
    Posts
    9,723
    Blog Entries
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post

    Also, what is pre-lay and post-lay?
    Pre-lay is recording the dialogue before animation process has even started or before the final product is complete. Most of which are usually American Cartoons.

    Post-lay is recording dialogue after the animation has been finished and finalized. Most of which is when dubbing a product from a foreign country, like Japan or France.

  13. #13
    The Overlord is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post
    Like I said, it doesn't matter if it is union or non-union, they still don't compare to the Japanese Seiyu pay.
    Maybe when you compare union or non union dubbing to Japanese voice work, then the different is irrelevant.

    However comparing pre-lay American voice work to Japanese voic work would likely make a huge dfference.


    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post
    What are some things that are considered union dub companies, and what are the shows that are dubbed by them?.
    There are no companies that have union dubs all the time, but some companies work with unions some time, like Viz when they dubbed Naruto, while companies like Funi and 4Kids never work with unions.

    Unionized work pays more then non-unionized work, but doesn't make it better quality, it just means you will get paided more for doing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post
    Also, what is pre-lay and post-lay?
    In American cartoons voices are recorded first and then the characters are animated, so doing voice work for American cartoons is called pre-lay voice work. Pre-lay voice work pays a lot more then anime dubbing, so I think its possible that people who do pre-lay voice work could amke as much or some cases more the Japanese voice actors.

    Now of course most money in voice acting is made in commericals, so another question would be who pays more for commerical voice work, American or Japanese companies.

    Now Tara strong only does pre-lay work, that's her only job and she seems to pretty comfortable, she has a pretty big house. Now I'm wondering if she would make less, more or the same amount as Japanese voice actor like Romi Paku, when you take inflation and different living standards into account.

    Also you there are different levels of pre-lay work, doing the voice of sat morning cartoon character, doesn't pay as much as doing the voice of a Prime Time American cartoon, which pays a lot. The Simpsons voice actors are the highest paid voice actors in the world by far (they make 400,000 dollars an episode), except maybe for Seth Macfarlane, but that's because he writes for his show as well.

    And well I'm not going to count them, I should note, that most feature film animation hires celebs to do the voices and pays them a pretty penny to do the voices of the characters.

  14. #14
    Gonzales is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    1,510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    These endless voice actor threads are getting old.

    Japanese seiyu get paid much more money than any Western voice actor on any given day. Period, end of story.

  15. #15
    cohenmarioman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hatfield View Post
    These endless voice actor threads are getting old.

    Japanese seiyu get paid much more money than any Western voice actor on any given day. Period, end of story.
    Yeah, created by the same person to push the union dubs, which I still don't care for. Nonunion dubs are better dubs overall, because they use many other components to make the dub. Funimation doesn't use unions, but their dubs are much better that any union dub, even Viz, if OP is correct is saying they are a union dub using company.

    Yeah, Overlord, stop pushing the union dubs, they might pay more, but they still are inferior to a 4kids dub.

  16. #16
    The Overlord is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hatfield View Post
    These endless voice actor threads are getting old.

    Japanese seiyu get paid much more money than any Western voice actor on any given day. Period, end of story.
    There's no rule saying I can't post these types of threads. If you don't like the thread, don't post on it, simple as that.

    Also do you proof that a Japanese voice actor makes more then American one, on average. If you have some proof, I would be interested in seeing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by cohenmarioman View Post
    Yeah, created by the same person to push the union dubs, which I still don't care for. Nonunion dubs are better dubs overall, because they use many other components to make the dub. Funimation doesn't use unions, but their dubs are much better that any union dub, even Viz, if OP is correct is saying they are a union dub using company.

    Yeah, Overlord, stop pushing the union dubs, they might pay more, but they still are inferior to a 4kids dub.
    I'm not pushing union dubs, I don't care, I just said I presonally work on on unionized project because it pays more, not because it is better quality, where did I ever say it was better quality? If I were voice actor I would rather make more money then less, that doens't mean it its a better product. I also would much rather do pre-lay work, then any sort of dub because even more and its way easier to do and in general pre-lay sounds better, IMO.

    Again I wish people would not put words in my mouth, I never pushed for union dubs of anything, I don't care, I just care about how much money I would make on project, indvidually.

  17. #17
    Taekmkm is offline Ribbit
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Japanese seiyu get paid much more money than any Western voice actor on any given day. Period, end of story.
    That is the worst "fact" I ever read.
    Hit list:
    Lose =/= Loose
    Canon =/= Cannon

  18. #18
    cohenmarioman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekmkm View Post
    That is the worst "fact" I ever read.
    Yet it is a fact, and no Pre-lay VA gets more. They act in person to suffice, or do music, like Isaac Hays did.

    And Overlord, when you bring up Union dubs in every VA thread you start, you are kinda pushing them.

  19. #19
    Taekmkm is offline Ribbit
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,708
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please point me the japanese equivalent of a Simpsons salary. Or even a Family Guy salary. Heck, even a Disney or other major company movie.
    Hit list:
    Lose =/= Loose
    Canon =/= Cannon

  20. #20
    cohenmarioman is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekmkm View Post
    Please point me the japanese equivalent of a Simpsons salary. Or even a Family Guy salary. Heck, even a Disney or other major company movie.
    NAS, Konami, Nintendo, Disney Japan, etc. All give lots of money. Disney doesn't really give the VA a lot of money to be honest.

    Bleach and Narato can be seen as Famliy Guy and Simpsons. What the Japanese don't have is a South Park like salary, because the show only takes a week to make.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO