Quantcast
Page 58 of 68 FirstFirst ... 84849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
    With the Bandai Ent store closing at the end of the month, how are we going to be able to buy the Ep 5 Blu Ray in the US?!?!?
    They will likely announce their new selling methods down the road.
    Last edited by Jacob T. Paschal; 12-02-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Fixed redundant wording. :p
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    They will likely announce their new selling methods down the road.
    Even with Bandai Store as the "exclusive" retailer, Right Stuf ships them first.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

HellCat is offline Chuchumy!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Probably the same way they tell us European fans- "Your Amazon stores".

Really, I'm amazed Sunrise let their own US web store go. Seems exactly one of the levels of control they love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We're 2/3 into the story now and I'm seeing alot of talk about things people think Unicorn is doing wrong. But what do you think it's doing right?

Ideology- This has been one of the greatest elements for me, characters engaging in sensible discussions about humanity, war and the UC. This element has always been present in Gundam but it's usually either been lip service or characters screaming hate and woe in the middle of a battle. Unicorn has gone out of its way to have characters debate the major UC elements from a more mature and realistic perspective. It's fair to say this is because it's a hindsight work, released nearly 20 years after the stories it's analysing, but it's still effective and welcome. Especially involving a sensible civillian perspective, something that is often missing from even the more modern series.

Marida and Audrey- Two really enjoyable characters who are being handled markedly better then this franchise usually treats women. In particular, it's nice to see them be of Zeon origin yet not loyal nutters. Audrey is a very interesting case of the last surviving Zabi trying desperately to stop the cycle of hatred her family began without falling into the trap of needing a male to support her. There's definitely something there between her and Banagher but she's fully capable of taking care of herself.
    Marida may very well be one of the best explorations of a clone character I've ever seen. Usually such characters are defined by that one element but Marida stands so strongly that it is simply her origin, not her character and she truley has proven to have her own identity.

Mecha designs- I've been a fan of Katoki since I first started out and he's doing a really good job here. I may not be rushing after the models but the mecha designs for Unicorn have that 'sensible' nature we've come to expect from UC. The Unicorn in itself is a particular triumphant, even if the CG transformations are sometimes clunky.

Zim_Graruru is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would echo your comments about ideology. In Unicorn we not only see the ideologies of Zeon fleshed out in a far more mature, indepth way than previous Tomino-fare, but we also get a variety of perspectives from people who would usually only exist in Gundam to have a colony dropped on them. That scene in the Diner has become one of my favourite in all of Gundam.

One thing I have to praise Unicorn for is the direction. More so than any other UC work, Unicorn feels cinematic to me. There's a sense of importance to everything that's happening in the story. In that sense, Unicorn has been what I always wanted Char's Counterattack to be(which I found extremely dissapointing, probably due to my dislike of Tomino) A grandiose culmination of the Early UC plot-lines, which endeavours to provide a satisfying conclusion to the newtype-question and the Earth-Federation/Zeon conflict. I just hope the ending delivers, but so far I have no reason to doubt Furuhashi.

Most of Unicorns issues, especially in episode 4, have to do with pacing. Its ridiculous to me that the highest selling OAV of all time had to rush through two books of content in one episode, when they were CLEARLY biting off more than they could chew. Why Sunrise couldn't of given them another episode to cover it properly is beyond me. Still, I'm less worried about time-issues for the rest of the series, as Harutoshi Fukui's comments at Ep4's premiere makes me pretty confident we'll be getting a movie to finish of the series.

The whole Loni sub-plot in Ep4 was handled horribly. I hope we don't see more plot-lines like that in the OAV's conclusion.

Scirel is online now WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It really just fell on me that this WOULD be the last chapter of the conflict between the federation and zeon, since late UC stuff moves on to other conflicts. I have been getting a distinct feeling of finality building up.

The news that there will be a movie (presumably "Over the Rainbow 1 +2") after episode 6 to finish the series really makes me happy, especially since the animation is already pretty much movie quality already.

I personally loved the first episode, throught 2 and 3 dragged a bit, but loved the freaking HELL out of 4. The philosophies here really hit home for me, and at the risk of sounding like a complete otaku, made me tear up both times I watched the movie. Though I may be biased, since the key lines pretty much line up exactly with my own beliefs. ^_^;;
    I am the squid of the vapor surrounding your dreams, sorrow, nightmares, and bootie pants. So watch out about that.

- Raocow

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Our very first trailer for episode 5. That's apparently Kai Shiden at 0:15.

On another front the English version of the website has some content related to the next installment, including on the "Black Unicorn":

Spoiler:

RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee (Unicorn mode)
    The second unit of the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam, which was designed to fight against psycommu-equipped mobile suits as a core component of the UC Project. It has already undergone final adjustments, including operating tests under gravity, and has been given specially designed psycho-frame equipment known as "armed armor." As a result, although it is of the same type as the first unit, its level of completeness is far higher.
    RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee (Destroy Mode)
    The Destroy Mode of the Banshee, which appears when its NT-D (Newtype Destroyer) system is activated, dramatically increasing its performance. The golden glow of its exposed psycho-frame shines from the gaps in its black armor, and it becomes a hunting machine that can carry out the original objective of the UC Project.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Good signs for the continued international distribution of Gundam Unicorn: there's an episode 5 synopsis on the official site's story page and Amazon now has a product listing. For some bizarre reason it's listed as costing $128, a clear mistake that's not going to last. But the product info is there, including confirmation of English dubbing.

The Amazon page includes a product description that's a more spoilerific version of the summary, being more open about a handful of details and characters that will appear in episode 5.

Spoiler:
    Having destroyed the Shamblo, Riddhe and Banagher are now confronted by the jet-black Unicorn Gundam 02, Banshee . In its cockpit is Marida, who has been reconditioned on the orders of Martha, the acting head of the Vist Foundation.

Banagher is captured by the Banshee and transferred to the Ra Cailum, flagship of the Londo Bell unit, but he refuses to reveal the new coordinate data disclosed by the La+ Program. In order to make him talk, the exasperated Martha puts Mineva aboard the Garuda aircraft that is coming to collect the Unicorn Gundam.

Meanwhile Bright, the captain of the Ra Cailum, senses the future in Banagher's strong will and decides to grant his wish to save Mineva. Via his friends Beltorchika Irma and Kai Shiden, Bright secretly calls in the Garencieres team to attack the Garuda and rescue Mineva...

All I'll say is, I like that Bright is in this story.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Haha yeah, I don't think so. Let's get that price right back down to correct amount. I'm really looking forward to this, but obviously I'm not going to pay anywhere near that for it.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really hope that price is an error, I'm pretty sure you can import the Japanese one for cheaper. I half wonder if that's Sunrise's plan- set the US release at a ridiculous price so people go "I'll buy the Japanese version, it's half the price!". Would be consistent with their lack of respect and money grubbing.