Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    HellCat is offline Travelling hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Still no option to order the Blu-ray on Amazon UK, nor has the episode been added to PSN here, despite reports it's on Xbox Live.

Boo.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Episode #5 will be released in May. Beware...
    Spoiler:
    the Kuroi Unicorn!
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not as bad as I expected.

Spoiler:
    Every episode so far has loosely explored a theme and here it seemed to be bloodlines. This doesn't really help the mystery of Laplace much though. Riddhe was starting to appear to be a decent loose ally to Banagher but after this episode I'm not keen on him at all. First he comes off as creepy by asking Audrey to marry him, then he apparently blames Banagher for whatever terrible secret links their families. I find it especially ironic he gets so nasty with Banagher for not killing Loni, when Riddhe himself basically kidnapped Audrey and deserted.

Loni herself was a dissapointment. I'm informed the animation has changed her alot, from a young girl who tries to stop her father using the Shamblo on a pointless massacre to yet another Cyber Newtype damsel who thirsts for said massacre. The result is that the Shamblo comes off as little more then something for a big action sequence and the resolution of killing Loni is far too obvious to any long term fan. Why was the more interesting character dynamic scrapped to repeat old ideas?

Banagher's relationship with the Zeon is interesting. After what happened last time I really didn't expect to see him ally with them but it led to some confusing if good scenes. As the conversation in the diner also shows, Unicorn is at it's best when it's taking time to have the characters calmly sit down and debate the highs and lows of human society. Bonus points here for Banagher pointing out how far fetched the idea of a unified Earth Federation would seem to those in 'the past', smoothing over a bit of general audience disbelief. Some of the charm is lost once the captain claims he was just buttering Banagher up to get him on their side, but I wonder how true that is. I appreciate Banagher's stance on not closing your heart simply due to all the crap in the world and acting on your emotions to make a better tomorrow, but for a young man who spent the first half of this episode admitting he basically had no answers it was at times a bit pretentious.

The Marida stuff was painful to watch but I was blown away by that cliffhanger. Showing off the plans of a new unit has become a Gundam tradition, but I totally wasn't expecting the Banshee to drop out of the sky like that. Things can only get worse from here, especially with the heavy hint the Federation is now out to actively seperate Banagher and the Unicorn.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That development with Ensign Riddhe sounds very forced...perhaps it will make more sense to me in context.

Loni seems to have been made into a composite character. In the novel she piloted the Shamblo alongside two siblings,and in the animation she is what she is while Yonem (the Zeon remnant leader) is a surrogate replacing her already-dead father. I suppose an argument can be made that she's there to illustrate a different aspect of the Zeon perspective...Full Frontal embodies their ideals and their hopes while these folks illustrate the ol' cycle of hate and embody the more revenge-driven side occupied by people like Anavel Gato.

Definitely can't wait to see it for myself. Just one year until the whole thing is finally done.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    That development with Ensign Riddhe sounds very forced...perhaps it will make more sense to me in context.
    Basically
    Spoiler:
    it's revealed that Riddhe's family are long time allies of the Vist, their mutual success tied to the dark secret of Laplace. The specifics of this are discussed off screen but straight after Riddhe goes to Audrey's room, tells her his father intends to kill her to protect the secret and that if he marries her into the family maybe he'll let her live. This and a line of dialogue from his father suggest Riddhe has fallen hopelessly in love with Audrey and a combination of her genuine attraction to Banagher and the horrible secret he's learned about the Vist's now makes him hate the boy.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HellCat View Post

Spoiler:
    Banagher's relationship with the Zeon is interesting. After what happened last time I really didn't expect to see him ally with them but it led to some confusing if good scenes. As the conversation in the diner also shows, Unicorn is at it's best when it's taking time to have the characters calmly sit down and debate the highs and lows of human society. Bonus points here for Banagher pointing out how far fetched the idea of a unified Earth Federation would seem to those in 'the past', smoothing over a bit of general audience disbelief. Some of the charm is lost once the captain claims he was just buttering Banagher up to get him on their side, but I wonder how true that is. I appreciate Banagher's stance on not closing your heart simply due to all the crap in the world and acting on your emotions to make a better tomorrow, but for a young man who spent the first half of this episode admitting he basically had no answers it was at times a bit pretentious.
    Spoiler:
    Oh, I can definently tell that the Captain was just lying to Banagher. That was probably the one scene where Banagher's pretentiousness wasn't annoying. Say what you will about other UC leads, but at least they went out and knew they had to fight. I haven't been impressed by anything Banagher has said or done, which really hurts him as a character for me.

I don't remember episode #3 at all, but I was still very engaged in this episode. O.o I swear, I could only think "Gundam Unicorn Episode #4: The Ghost of Jerid" when watching the Byalant. Riddhe's a bit clingy himself, but at least he took action.

The acting this episode was great. Narita Ken is probably the best we'll get from a replacement for Bright. It's his first outing, but he's proven himself. I loved seeing how Bright's modesty bounced off of the other characters in the story, too. Seeing Bright again really brought back a sense of "this is home."
    Last edited by Jacob T. Paschal; 11-22-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Episode 4 continues to impress and takes on a very somber and melodramatic tone compared to the others. With Loni and Ensign Riddhe we've got this theme about cursed blood ties, on a meta scale we have familiar ruminations about the proverbial cycle of hatred and how mankind got itself into its current state where Earth and space are at odds with each other. Even Banagher's overwhelmed with frustration for awhile over his situation and his feeling that he hasn't really done much good piloting the Gundam.

When he tries to act on his idealism and mitigate the conflict again during the climax, I think the way the show contrasted his mindset against Riddhe's resignation and despair was super effective. That great "beast" or "inner god" of possibility Cardeas Vist believed in is something Riddhe doesn't believe one can bet on. He's not happy about it in the least, but he's noticeably burdened by the weight of the world and the way he thinks it is.

Loni certainly did the job of complementing the message and theme of the episode, though I think there's no denying that the conflict here carries less weight than when Banagher dueled Marida. Those two built up a connection, whereas Banagher and Loni meet precisely one time shortly before the big battle.

In contrast, the crowning scene was definitely Banagher's argument with Suberoa Zinnerman, which this episode built up to.

Spoiler:

First of all, Zinnerman was not lying. The claim about buttering up Banagher certainly was not the whole truth. Seriously: if that had been 100% true would Banagher really have been allowed to launch in the end? Hell no. That man has a heart and to a huge extent, Banagher read him like a book.

The great element of that argument is that Banagher doesn't just shout platitudes. He not only doesn't back down, he fights back, and he kicks Zinnerman's ass! He owns this guy! You guys, that's awesome. How many other Gundam pilots have acted that way? Banagher Links is simultaneously one of the most empathetic and kickass Gundam pilots to ever exist, folks. That's quite a combination. I also loved how the bridge crew nonchalantly declined to help out Zinnerman. That was quite a laugh-worthy moment.

The final act is gripping stuff with a killer cliffhanger. Our boy has his work cut out for him; the road forward from here isn't going to be getting any easier.

Also, mark my words, Alberto's being set up to go rogue at some point.

Captain Bright was Bright. I liked how he smacked down Riddhe for presuming that he might single him out for special treatment because of his status. That's classic Bright. Needless to say, I hope we see much more of him.

This had some major mecha fanservice too. Many, many different types of MS showed up for this one.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm glad to see someone else pick up on the idea of Riddhe denying possibility. I've seen alot of folks comment on his conflict with Banagher but surprisingly few seem to pick up on that key line of dialogue. The whole 'humans have a god and that god is possibility' was one of the most intriguing elements of the first episode for me and although it hasn't quite made the most of it I was glad to see it revisited here.

DustoMan is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With the Bandai Ent store closing at the end of the month, how are we going to be able to buy the Ep 5 Blu Ray in the US?!?!?

GingaDaiuchuu is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
    With the Bandai Ent store closing at the end of the month, how are we going to be able to buy the Ep 5 Blu Ray in the US?!?!?
    Right Stuf.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
    They will likely announce their new selling methods down the road.
    Last edited by Jacob T. Paschal; 12-02-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Fixed redundant wording. :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    They will likely announce their new selling methods down the road.
    Even with Bandai Store as the "exclusive" retailer, Right Stuf ships them first.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Probably the same way they tell us European fans- "Your Amazon stores".

Really, I'm amazed Sunrise let their own US web store go. Seems exactly one of the levels of control they love.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We're 2/3 into the story now and I'm seeing alot of talk about things people think Unicorn is doing wrong. But what do you think it's doing right?

Ideology- This has been one of the greatest elements for me, characters engaging in sensible discussions about humanity, war and the UC. This element has always been present in Gundam but it's usually either been lip service or characters screaming hate and woe in the middle of a battle. Unicorn has gone out of its way to have characters debate the major UC elements from a more mature and realistic perspective. It's fair to say this is because it's a hindsight work, released nearly 20 years after the stories it's analysing, but it's still effective and welcome. Especially involving a sensible civillian perspective, something that is often missing from even the more modern series.

Marida and Audrey- Two really enjoyable characters who are being handled markedly better then this franchise usually treats women. In particular, it's nice to see them be of Zeon origin yet not loyal nutters. Audrey is a very interesting case of the last surviving Zabi trying desperately to stop the cycle of hatred her family began without falling into the trap of needing a male to support her. There's definitely something there between her and Banagher but she's fully capable of taking care of herself.
    Marida may very well be one of the best explorations of a clone character I've ever seen. Usually such characters are defined by that one element but Marida stands so strongly that it is simply her origin, not her character and she truley has proven to have her own identity.

Mecha designs- I've been a fan of Katoki since I first started out and he's doing a really good job here. I may not be rushing after the models but the mecha designs for Unicorn have that 'sensible' nature we've come to expect from UC. The Unicorn in itself is a particular triumphant, even if the CG transformations are sometimes clunky.

Zim_Graruru is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would echo your comments about ideology. In Unicorn we not only see the ideologies of Zeon fleshed out in a far more mature, indepth way than previous Tomino-fare, but we also get a variety of perspectives from people who would usually only exist in Gundam to have a colony dropped on them. That scene in the Diner has become one of my favourite in all of Gundam.

One thing I have to praise Unicorn for is the direction. More so than any other UC work, Unicorn feels cinematic to me. There's a sense of importance to everything that's happening in the story. In that sense, Unicorn has been what I always wanted Char's Counterattack to be(which I found extremely dissapointing, probably due to my dislike of Tomino) A grandiose culmination of the Early UC plot-lines, which endeavours to provide a satisfying conclusion to the newtype-question and the Earth-Federation/Zeon conflict. I just hope the ending delivers, but so far I have no reason to doubt Furuhashi.

Most of Unicorns issues, especially in episode 4, have to do with pacing. Its ridiculous to me that the highest selling OAV of all time had to rush through two books of content in one episode, when they were CLEARLY biting off more than they could chew. Why Sunrise couldn't of given them another episode to cover it properly is beyond me. Still, I'm less worried about time-issues for the rest of the series, as Harutoshi Fukui's comments at Ep4's premiere makes me pretty confident we'll be getting a movie to finish of the series.

The whole Loni sub-plot in Ep4 was handled horribly. I hope we don't see more plot-lines like that in the OAV's conclusion.

Scirel is offline WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It really just fell on me that this WOULD be the last chapter of the conflict between the federation and zeon, since late UC stuff moves on to other conflicts. I have been getting a distinct feeling of finality building up.

The news that there will be a movie (presumably "Over the Rainbow 1 +2") after episode 6 to finish the series really makes me happy, especially since the animation is already pretty much movie quality already.

I personally loved the first episode, throught 2 and 3 dragged a bit, but loved the freaking HELL out of 4. The philosophies here really hit home for me, and at the risk of sounding like a complete otaku, made me tear up both times I watched the movie. Though I may be biased, since the key lines pretty much line up exactly with my own beliefs. ^_^;;
    I am the squid of the vapor surrounding your dreams, sorrow, nightmares, and bootie pants. So watch out about that.

- Raocow

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Our very first trailer for episode 5. That's apparently Kai Shiden at 0:15.

On another front the English version of the website has some content related to the next installment, including on the "Black Unicorn":

Spoiler:

RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee (Unicorn mode)
    The second unit of the RX-0 Unicorn Gundam, which was designed to fight against psycommu-equipped mobile suits as a core component of the UC Project. It has already undergone final adjustments, including operating tests under gravity, and has been given specially designed psycho-frame equipment known as "armed armor." As a result, although it is of the same type as the first unit, its level of completeness is far higher.
    RX-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee (Destroy Mode)
    The Destroy Mode of the Banshee, which appears when its NT-D (Newtype Destroyer) system is activated, dramatically increasing its performance. The golden glow of its exposed psycho-frame shines from the gaps in its black armor, and it becomes a hunting machine that can carry out the original objective of the UC Project.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Good signs for the continued international distribution of Gundam Unicorn: there's an episode 5 synopsis on the official site's story page and Amazon now has a product listing. For some bizarre reason it's listed as costing $128, a clear mistake that's not going to last. But the product info is there, including confirmation of English dubbing.

The Amazon page includes a product description that's a more spoilerific version of the summary, being more open about a handful of details and characters that will appear in episode 5.

Spoiler:
    Having destroyed the Shamblo, Riddhe and Banagher are now confronted by the jet-black Unicorn Gundam 02, Banshee . In its cockpit is Marida, who has been reconditioned on the orders of Martha, the acting head of the Vist Foundation.

Banagher is captured by the Banshee and transferred to the Ra Cailum, flagship of the Londo Bell unit, but he refuses to reveal the new coordinate data disclosed by the La+ Program. In order to make him talk, the exasperated Martha puts Mineva aboard the Garuda aircraft that is coming to collect the Unicorn Gundam.

Meanwhile Bright, the captain of the Ra Cailum, senses the future in Banagher's strong will and decides to grant his wish to save Mineva. Via his friends Beltorchika Irma and Kai Shiden, Bright secretly calls in the Garencieres team to attack the Garuda and rescue Mineva...

All I'll say is, I like that Bright is in this story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haha yeah, I don't think so. Let's get that price right back down to correct amount. I'm really looking forward to this, but obviously I'm not going to pay anywhere near that for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really hope that price is an error, I'm pretty sure you can import the Japanese one for cheaper. I half wonder if that's Sunrise's plan- set the US release at a ridiculous price so people go "I'll buy the Japanese version, it's half the price!". Would be consistent with their lack of respect and money grubbing.

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast