Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Umino is offline Honey Flash?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Censored Pokemon cards?

Like This Thread!
    Here's something I've been meaning to ask for awhile. Does anyone have a list of Pokemon cards that were "censored" or "changed" for the American release? I know there was the infamous Kasumi/Misty's Tears, which originally had a picture of Misty nude. I remeber there were some others, but I can't remeber.

Can anyone help?

King is offline I'M GOING TO JAPAN!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wait, what? Nude Misty?!? O_o?
    "This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGER SWORD!"- G Gundam

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Umino View Post
    Here's something I've been meaning to ask for awhile. Does anyone have a list of Pokemon cards that were "censored" or "changed" for the American release? I know there was the infamous Kasumi/Misty's Tears, which originally had a picture of Misty nude. I remeber there were some others, but I can't remeber.

Can anyone help?
    http://www.theescapist.com/pokemon5.htm

ChibiGoku is offline Something Not Quite Right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    Wait, what? Nude Misty?!? O_o?
    The card in question, Kasumi is completely nude, which you can see here (nsfw, moderator may wish to remove link). However, when you compare the card with how Kasumi was portrayed in the Manga, this one's more innocent and harmless, more so a piece of art. Something I think is lost in the US card. The censorship is understandable (due to cultural differences), but I think it's a shame the original design was completely changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have that card, traded it and put it behind some card in a binder, never found it again.
    Still its not as bad as yugioh cards, water omotics?
    http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Image:W...pg#filehistory

Not posting japanese one, you can find it on that website though

King is offline I'M GOING TO JAPAN!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
    The card in question, Kasumi is completely nude, which you can see here (nsfw, moderator may wish to remove link). However, when you compare the card with how Kasumi was portrayed in the Manga, this one's more innocent and harmless, more so a piece of art. Something I think is lost in the US card. The censorship is understandable (due to cultural differences), but I think it's a shame the original design was completely changed.
    Oh, “THAT” card. I got tons of that card back then.
    "This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! It's burning grip tells me to defeat you! Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGER SWORD!"- G Gundam

D Dubbs is offline Wish Upon A Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VenerableViper View Post
    I have that card, traded it and put it behind some card in a binder, never found it again.

Yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh! cards tend to be pretty edited. Lots of religion, nudity, and gruesome images. But my favorite edit has to be this:

Spoiler:
    "If some have learned something that is fine. If others have learned nothing that is fine as well, more importantly...it was fun, right?"
    - Master Norb

Undrave is offline Forever Burning Heart!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VenerableViper View Post

Water Omotics, the Harpy family, Thunder Nyan Nyan, Gemini Elf, Dark Magician Girl, Dian Keto (good thing on that one) etc etc. plenty of 'em.

"People who meddle with secret identities get their memories erased."
    -------------
    "You murdered your own alter ego? Sounds socially awkward."

Tash is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Team Rocket edition Grimer was censored, too. The original version's eyes were peeping up the the girl's skirt, but the US edition has him looking forward.

sdp
    sdp is offline God
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Team Rocket set Grimer was looking at a girls skirt and one of his eyeballs was changed in direction and makes him look crosseyed.

Gym Heroes Misty's Tear had completely different artwork.

Gym Challenges Koga's ummm something has a right faced swastika which they didn't want the american public to confuse it with the counter-clockwise Nazi swastika so changed to a generic symbol.

Neo Genesis Moo-Moo milk also had different artwork, the original had a pokemon drinking from utters while the american just showed two glass cases of milk.

I'm pretty sure thats all of the edits up to the current set, so either they have more restrictions to be America friendly or just plan things out better. And yes the game is still going with new sets since I know someone is going to ask.

I think there was also a muk that was changed since it seemed like he was flipping you off but that might have been from another Pokemon thing and not the TCG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast