Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast
    GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Crunchyroll is definitely dominating the way English-speakers consume new anime in Japan, and they have by far the best system in every way. I'm always so happy to see this number shoot up like this. Double the number of subscribers in half a year? That's pretty damn good.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am surprised this was not bigger news. It certainly flew under my radar. Since this is just one large group buying out another's shares I don't think we have much to worry about, though.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nope, nothing to worry about I'd say. I'd call it a good sign in fact, the biggest news since the TV Tokyo investment. Crunchyroll is on a trajectory to expand its offerings and its reach ever further, which is in no way inconsistent with its ongoing dominance when it comes to streaming anime.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mandouga is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know. This really begs the question: did Crunchyroll sell out? Personally, I can't tell. The article said something about this new group about "expanding" CR's offerings. That part really worries. If they start acquiring non-Asian shows (or worse yet American shows that can be seen on any website or TV network), I am going to scream (not literally, mind you, but you get the idea). I won't be playing the "Psycho strings" yet, but in any case, I really hope this doesn't lead to "website decay". Okay, so this is the worst case scenario, but still.

In the meantime, I'll at least give CR the benefit of the doubt and continue to support them (that is, since I know they really have gone legit). That said however, one of the worst things than a website (or any other "media" project, for that matter) that promotes piracy, is one that sells out and becomes just like all the other "general entertainment" TV networks and websites. If CR is somehow reading this, they had better not let everyone down...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Selling out to what? More money and exposure? Why not acquire non-Asian shows? Are the people coming to Crunchyroll for animation right now going to stop watching for the animation, but for the non-Asian stuff?

Wounded_Dragon is offline Beast in the Machine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I suppose the fear is that it'll be the online version of network decay where they become no different from Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon.
    Playing: DC Universe Online(PS3)
    Watching: *Netflix backlog*

At least 15 percent of the moviegoing audience experiences headache and eyestrain during 3-D movies. I'm one of them. And no, I don't need corrective eyewear.

Gold Guy is online now This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'd rather they stick to stuff from other countries. Like, if they were to stream Adventure Time or something, that wouldn't be cool at all.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    According to a Crunchyroll employee here they have about 300,000 subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymooo
    Still, though, do the math--300,000 paying subscribers, all paying between $5 and $12 a month, averages out to about $8.50 a person for every membership, which turns into roughly $2,550,000. I'll let you figure out where the rest comes from.
    Assuming I haven't misread his intention, at least.

EDIT: Oh, I'm the stupid. This was mentioned previously on Variety.
    Last edited by Jacob T. Paschal; 03-24-2014 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added another link.

River26 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    CR picks up some more. Quotes from ANN

Hero Bank
    Media distribution service Crunchyroll announced on Sunday that it will stream Sega's game-based Hero Bank anime series. Streaming will begin on Monday, April 7 at 6:30 a.m. ET. The streams will be available to premium members worldwide, except in Asia. They will also be available to free members in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden.

The anime centers around Kaito, an elementary school boy who is suddenly burdened with 10 billion yen (about US$100 million) in debt one day. The only way he can pay off the debt is to master "Hero-Gi" (downloaded off the net) and win matches in "Hero Battle," a new-generation cyber sport. The tagline of the game "Change your money with justice!"
    Crunchyroll to Stream Sega's Game-Based HeroBank Anime - News - Anime News Network

---

Oreca Battle & Dragon Collection
    Media distribution service Crunchyroll announced on Sunday that it will stream the Oreca Battle and Dragon Collection anime series. Oreca Battle and Dragon Collection will both stream on Mondays at 6:30 a.m. ET beginning on April 7.

Oreca Battle and Dragon Collection will be available to premium members worldwide, except in Asia. They will also be available to free members in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden.

Oreca Battle is based on Konami's Monster Retsuden Oreca Battle (Monster Chronicles Oreca Battle) arcade card game. Crunchyroll describes the story:
    The anime adaptation revolves around a young boy named Faiya Orega who loves Oreca competitions. One day, he is granted the power to summon real Oreca monsters due to the mysterious powers of the treasure chest Pandora. To protect the peace of the Oreca world, Faiya must fight the demon king who threatens the land.

---
    Dragon Collection
    Konami's social game Dragon Collection debuted on the GREE mobile phone platform in Japan in 2010, and it already inspired Muneyuki Kaneshiro and Kyōta Shibano's Dragon Collection: Ryū o Suberu Mono manga from 2011 to 2012. It also spawned a trading card arcade game last year. Crunchyroll describes the story:

Through an unexpected turn of events, an ordinary elementary school student, Hiro Enryu, finds himself in the world of the "Dragon Collection" game. This is a world called Dragon Earth, where gods, humans, and monsters exist side by side. Those who roam this world using a magic book, called a Grimoire, and cards to summon monsters and search for treasures that bear the powers of dragons are called Dracolle Battlers. Despite his bewilderment, Hiro becomes a Dracolle Battler and, together with the friends he meets there, begins his adventure to become a legendary Dragon Master!
    Zeta26's DA Profile (yoroshiku!) ^^

Join in the PS4 discussions ^^ http://www.toonzone.net/forums/video...ulation-5.html

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Crunchyroll continuing to the best thing to ever happen to international fans, it seems.

I hope they can convince Walt Disney Japan to stream Disk Wars: Avengers.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, it sure beats watching "joke" and unreliable fansubs.

Join in the PS4 discussions ^^ http://www.toonzone.net/forums/video...ulation-5.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually watched all three of those "Hey kids, get your parents to buy our toys!" shows today. That was rough. Good to see them get stuff that usually gets passed over, though, even if most of us don't have much interest in them.

I've already watched the Comic Artist as well, and while it wasn't something I'm a big fan of, it wasn't too bad either.

Nice to see Crunchyroll get Black Bullet. That looks like it could be pretty good.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ann

No Game No Life
    crunchyroll announced on tuesday that it will stream the television anime of yuu kamiya's no game, no life light novel series. The series will stream every wednesday for members beginning april 9 at 8:30 a.m. Pdt, and each episode will be available for free the following week. The stream will be available in the united states, canada, the united kingdom, ireland, australia, new zealand, south africa, and latin america. The story of no game, no life centers around sora and shiro, a brother and sister whose reputations as brilliant neet (not in education, employment, or training) hikikomori (shut-in) gamers have spawned urban legends all over the internet. These two gamers even consider the real world as just another "crappy game." one day, they are summoned by a boy named "god" to an alternate world. There, god has prohibited war and declared this to be a world where "everything is decided by games" — even national borders. Humanity has been driven back into one remaining city by the other races. Will sora and shiro, the good-for-nothing brother and sister, become the "saviors of humanity" on this alternate world? "well, let's start playing."

atsuko ishizuka is directing the anime at madhouse with series scripts supervised by jukki hanada. kōji Ōdate is designing the characters and serving as animation director. Kayano (as her character shiro) sings the ending theme song "orashion."

---

If Her Flag Breaks
    media distribution service crunchyroll announced on tuesday that it will stream the anime of touka takei's kanojo ga flag o oraretara (if her flag breaks) light novel series. The series will stream every wednesday for members beginning april 9 at 3:00 p.m. Et. The stream will be available in the united states, canada, the united kingdom, ireland, south africa, australia, new zealand, denmark, finland, norway, sweden, and latin america (central and south america, caribbean).

Takei's original romantic comedy light novel series revolves around sōta hatate, a boy who has the unique ability to see "flags" above the heads of other people. The "flags" mark critical crossroads in people's lives — when the choices they make will determine love, friendship, victory, and even death. He transfers into tokyo's elite hatagaya academy, but instead of living by himself in the boys' dormitory, he ends up living with five beautiful girls under one roof.

---

Chaika: The Coffin Princess
    media distribution service crunchyroll announced on tuesday that it will stream the anime of ichiro sakaki's chaika the coffin princess (hitsugi no chaika) fantasy light novels. The series will stream every wednesday for members beginning wednesday, april 9 at 2:00 p.m. Et. Free members able to watch one week later.

The streams will be available in the united states, canada, the united kingdom, ireland, south africa, finland, norway, sweden, denmark, netherlands, turkey, latin america (central and south america including caribbean), europe (excluding german speaking territories), the arab league, and the middle east.

The story centers around toru acura, a 20-year-old retired soldier meandering through life now that the war has ended. He encounters chaika trabant, a 14-year-old sorceress carrying a coffin and follows her in hopes of finding meaning to his life again. The two travel with toru's adopted sister, akari, the employed member of the group and thus toru's source of income.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No Game No Life and Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara are definitely two of the big ones left. The latter is obviously delayed, but it also wasn't announced by anyone before now, so it's good to have it at all. The former is generally tagged as ecchi where I've seen it, but I've also heard very good things, so we'll see.

Looks like they're packing on a few more than I expected for tomorrow. Cool, I have time. I don't know much about this, but it looks worth checking out enough.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ANN

Dai-Shogun: Great Revolution
    Crunchyroll announced on Wednesday that it will stream the Dai-Shogun – Great Revolution (Fūun Ishin Dai Shogun) anime. The episodes will stream for members on Wednesdays at 11:30 a.m. PDT beginning on April 9, and will be available for free the following week. The stream will be available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Turkey, Latin America (Central and South America including Caribbean), Europe (excluding German speaking territories), the Arab League, and the Middle East.

The action romance anime will feature giant robots in a parallel-world Japan in which the Meiji Restoration never happened. ILCA's Kazuya Sasahara (The Animated Series) planned the project, and Takashi Watanabe (Shakugan no Shana, Slayers) is directing it at J.C. Staff and A.C.G.T.

In the late Edo period, Japan faced an unprecedented crisis with the arrival of black ships from overseas. However, Japan drove away the black ships thanks to Onigami, giant robots that have existed in Japan since the ancient times. The country has remained in self-imposed seclusion from foreigners ever since. The story begins in this Japan that never experienced the Meiji Restoration.

Project-D is credited with the original story, and Dai Sato (Eureka Seven, Freedom, episodes of Cowboy Bebop) is in charge of the series scripts. Hiroya Iijima is adapting Shunya Yamashita's original character designs for animation. Makoto Ishiwata of Nitroplus is handling mecha designs.
    Crunchyroll to Stream Dai-Shogun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by River26 View Post
    More for today! Awesome.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, they have a knack for picking things up fast . Here's more

Is the Order a Rabbit?
    Crunchyroll announced on Wednesday that it will stream the anime adaptation of Koi's Gochūmon wa Usagi Desu ka? (Is the order a rabbit?) manga. The episodes will stream for members on Thursdays at 7:30 a.m. PDT beginning on April 10, and will be available free the following week. The stream will be available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Turkey, Latin America, France and DOM/TOM, Belgium, Switzerland, Andorra, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Romania, the Middle East and the Arab League.

In the four-panel manga, the main character Cocoa (a pun of “hot cocoa”) arrives at the cafe Rabbit House one day, excited for rabbits. She actually all but lives in that caf. She meets lots of different girls there, including a tiny and cool girl named Chino (from “cappucino”), a tough and soldier-esque girl named Rize (“Th des Alizs” tea), a spacey and quintessentially Japanese girl named Chiya (“Uji matcha” tea), and the ordinary but dignified Sharo (“Kilimanjaro” coffee).

Hiroyuki Hashimoto (Angel Beats!, The Devil is a Part-Timer! episode director) will be directing the anime at the studio White Fox (Steins;Gate, The Devil is a Part-Timer!). Kazuyuki Fudeyasu (Hetalia The Beautiful World, Miss Monochrome, Walkure Romanze) is in charge of the series scripts. Yousuke Okuda (Sword Art Online, Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home animation director) is designing the characters. The singing unit Petit Rabbit's, composed of the main cast, is performing the opening theme song "Daydream Caf."
    Crunchyroll Adds Is the Order a Rabbit? - News - Anime News Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, they have a knack for picking things up fast . Here's more

Is the Order a Rabbit?

Crunchyroll Adds Is the Order a Rabbit? - News - Anime News Network
    I figured this would be soon. I'd be a lot more excited for a White Fox show if last season didn't happen, but that doesn't mean it'll be bad by any means either. Just a wait and see like any other.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another update

Nanana's Buried Treasure
    Media streaming service Crunchyroll announced on Wednesday that it will stream the Nanana's Buried Treasure anime as it airs in Japan. The streaming will begin on Thursday, April 10 at 2:30 p.m. ET for subscripton members, and it will begin for free members one week later. The streams will be available in North and South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the Middle East, the Arab League, and Europe excluding UK, France, Switzerland, Belgium, Algeria, Monaco, Tunisia, Germany, Luxembourg, Austria, Liechtenstein, and Italy.

The anime is based on Kazuma Ōtorino's original novel. The story centers around the treasure of Nanana, a ghost who was once a beautiful but NEET (Not in Education, Employment or Training) girl. A boy named Jūgo was disowned by his father and forced to transfer to a high school on the "Special Student Zone," an artificial island. With only 40,000 yen (about US$400) a month to live on, Jūgo chooses a low-rent apartment that happens to be haunted by Nanana. Jūgo and members of the school's adventure club join a "treasure hunt royale" on the island for the Nanana Collection, a treasure that possesses a mysterious power.

The voice cast includes:

Rui Tanabe as Nanana Ryūgajō
    Yuuki Ono as Jūgo Yama
    Kana Asumi as Tensai Ikkyū
    Kana Hanazawa as Daruku Hoshino
    Kazuyuki Okitsu as Isshin Yūga
    Eri Suzuki as Yū Ibara
    Mamiko Noto as Yukihime Fugi
    Kousuke Toriumi as Shū Todomatsu
    Yumi Uchiyama as Shiki Mahoro
    Kanae Itō as Yurika Yumeji
    Harumi Sakurai as Sansa Kurosu
    Yoshimasa Hosoya as Tetsunoshin Tsujimi
    Misaki Kuno as Saki Yoshino
    Yuuki Hayashi as Kagetora Tozen

Kanta Kamei
    (Bunny Drop, Tales of Vesperia ~The First Strike~, Oreshura) is directing the series, and Hideyuki Kurata (Read or Die, Samurai Flamenco, Oreimo) is in charge of the series scripts. Additionally, Tetsuya Kawakami (chief animation director and sub-character design for Sword Art Online) is adapting Akaringo's novel illustrations for animation, and Keigo Hoashi (Dusk maiden of Amnesia) and monaca (Star Driver, Wagnaria!!, Aikatsu!) are handling the music. Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku performs the opening theme song "Butterfly Effect." A-1 Pictures is animating the series.

Aniplex of America announced last month that it has acquired the series, and Daisuki announced on Monday that it will stream the series starting one month after its Japanese broadcast.
    Crunchyroll to Stream Nanana's Buried Treasure Anime - News - Anime News Network

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So with Mekakucity Actors still to come and 3 boxes left to store that and probably the only one anime series really unaccounted for (Atelier Escha & Logy), it seems we can basically count on everything most would care about being handled by either Crunchyroll or FUNimation (or both), as well as quite a few that most probably don't care about. I think the same was true of last season, but for a big season like spring, this is still very good to see.

Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 LastLast