Search the Site:
Loading...
Follow Us:
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    zoombie's Avatar
    zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    11,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Crayon Shin Chan: Vitello / Phuuz dubs

    Like This Thread!

    Who has seen the Vitello and / or Phuuz dub of Crayon Shin Chan? What are you opinions on the dubs?

    I have only seen one episode from Vitello, and it was awful. They butchered the show with edits, and is DIC dub of Sailor Moon bad. The music is all gone, the sound effect when they change scenes is gone, the opening title cards and closing tags are gone.

    FUNimation does heavily edit the diologue, I wish they stay more true to the script, but overal it is still the same classic Shin that the majority of the world sees. Except for a few occasions most of the time the music is there, the title cards are there, etc.

    But I digrise, this is about Vitello and Phuuz. I think the Vitello opening theme is excellent and on paper their cast is super talented. Though I can't imagine Kath Souce with that suddcutive female vocie she does for woman do a accurate Misae Nohara. I have no comment on Phuuz dub because I have never seen it.

    Another example of IMO butchered editing, while I have never seen this episode English dub which I believe was dubbed by Phuuz, the episode description for the classic episode Himawara Gets Drunk is edited to the point that is a joke. According to the episode description I read on tv.com, they changed Himawara (Diasy in the dub) from drinking beer to energy drink. I seen the episode and the end Himawara has a hang over and through baby talk which they translate via subtitle rambling like a drunk. That won't happen from a energy drink, so they look stupid by chaning that.

    For our friends in the UK, have you seen these dubs? Do you think they did a good job overal? I find it hard to believe it is better the classic Japanese version, but I have only seen one episode.

    I only seen one episode (actully not a whole episode, just one episode segemnt) so I am don't feel it is fair to completely bash it, but from what I seen didn't look good. I guess TV Asahi didn't like it, as they took the rights to Shin Chan away from Vitello and Phuuz after one season for each.
    Last edited by zoombie; 07-07-2008 at 05:59 PM.

  2. #2
    livingfruitvirus's Avatar
    livingfruitvirus is offline No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Glendale, CA
    Posts
    8,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    phuuz entertainment's dub came afterwards, and had another cast with Diane Michelle playing Shin. I think it's pretty much the same thing in terms of concept and intended audience, except with a new cast, and Media Concepts editing the show without those transitional animation wipes. I've never seen it either.

  3. #3
    zoombie's Avatar
    zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    11,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livingfruitvirus View Post
    phuuz entertainment's dub came afterwards, and had another cast with Diane Michelle playing Shin. I think it's pretty much the same thing in terms of concept and intended audience, except with a new cast, and Media Concepts editing the show without those transitional animation wipes. I've never seen it either.
    I know that, I never seen an episode of that dub also, so I acknowlege Vitello and Phuuz are seperate. Vitello also didn't have the traditional animation wipes, the episode I saw the animation wipes were replaced with a shot of Shin showing his butt.

    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a difference on screen was Vitello was Shin as a only child, and Phuuz was with Himawara (known as Daisy in the dub). I don't know if any of them dubbed Himawara's birth.

  4. #4
    Space Cadet's Avatar
    Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    16,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My question about the Phuuz dub(since I guess its the newer one): Is this dub still going on or did it stop?

  5. #5
    zoombie's Avatar
    zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    11,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    My question about the Phuuz dub(since I guess its the newer one): Is this dub still going on or did it stop?
    As far as production and making new episodes they have stopped. FUNimation dubs the show now, so there is no way another company can dub the show into English as well.

    As far as airing at all, I don't know, you have to ask somebody in England or any other country that aired it. Last I heard they aired episodes as fillers for movies that don't fill up enough time on Jetix UK.

  6. #6
    Space Cadet's Avatar
    Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    16,410
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    As far as production and making new episodes they have stopped. FUNimation dubs the show now, so there is no way another company can dub the show into English as well.
    It depends. Some shows can have more than one dub airing at the same time. I know DBZ was one case, where the FUNi episodes aired in the US and Australia and the Ocean dub aired in Canada, U.K. and Holland.

    I know One Piece has an English dub produced by Odex.

  7. #7
    zoombie's Avatar
    zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    11,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    It depends. Some shows can have more than one dub airing at the same time. I know DBZ was one case, where the FUNi episodes aired in the US and Australia and the Ocean dub aired in Canada, U.K. and Holland.

    I know One Piece has an English dub produced by Odex.
    Okay but in Shin Chan's case the Phuuz dub is over. There are no more first run episodes, if it is at all still airs, and from what I have heard, it does not air regularly at all on Jetix.

  8. #8
    voidis Guest

    love them

    hey guys i love the vitello dubs of shin chan does anyone know where i can get them iv looked everywhere O_o

  9. #9
    PirateBeck's Avatar
    PirateBeck is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The United Kingdom
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    It depends. Some shows can have more than one dub airing at the same time. I know DBZ was one case, where the FUNi episodes aired in the US and Australia and the Ocean dub aired in Canada, U.K. and Holland.

    I know One Piece has an English dub produced by Odex.
    Well, the Odex dub was produced for Singapore, a country in Asian region, so different liscening was applied. It was started in 2003 and ended in 2005/6 with 104 episodes dubbed, so its not continuing. I should know, I have interviewed the actors involved XD

    An episode of the Shin Chan was released on DVD through a newspaper, the Sun or something like that. I think that episode is on Youtube but I could upload it if I got enough requests if it isn't on there anymore...

  10. #10
    J!!!'s Avatar
    J!!! is offline You're such a little kid~
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    3,049
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen it before and I have to say the humor was better than the Funi version.
    Crazy Crazy Rainbow Star~~~

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Konoha Village
    Posts
    1,451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateBeck View Post
    Well, the Odex dub was produced for Singapore, a country in Asian region, so different liscening was applied. It was started in 2003 and ended in 2005/6 with 104 episodes dubbed, so its not continuing. I should know, I have interviewed the actors involved XD

    An episode of the Shin Chan was released on DVD through a newspaper, the Sun or something like that. I think that episode is on Youtube but I could upload it if I got enough requests if it isn't on there anymore...

    The singapore dub was shameful, for a dub, and for one piece, it was quite failsauce.

    Quote Originally Posted by J!!! View Post
    I've seen it before and I have to say the humor was better than the Funi version.
    Agreed, funi's shin chan completly zoomed off the path that shin chan is as a comedy.

  12. #12
    Gonzales is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    1,510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember seeing some episodes of this. The comedy was kind of funny, if childish. And it was funny hearing Kath Soucie as Shin.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toledo, U.S.A.
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateBeck View Post
    Well, the Odex dub was produced for Singapore, a country in Asian region, so different liscening was applied. It was started in 2003 and ended in 2005/6 with 104 episodes dubbed, so its not continuing. I should know, I have interviewed the actors involved XD

    An episode of the Shin Chan was released on DVD through a newspaper, the Sun or something like that. I think that episode is on Youtube but I could upload it if I got enough requests if it isn't on there anymore...
    I think it's gone now, but I wouldn't mind if someone would put it up someplace, now that the creator of the series just bit the dust recently.
    FREE CARTOONS ARE A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT!

  14. #14
    tinlunlau is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The English dubbing history of Crayon Shinchan sounded pretty chaotic. Funi's version did an okay job at bringing a similar style of humor to the original series. I'm just glad that I had the Cantonese dub (from ATV) to rely on over the years. They did a pretty good job on dubbing the series.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toledo, U.S.A.
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinlunlau View Post
    The English dubbing history of Crayon Shinchan sounded pretty chaotic. Funi's version did an okay job at bringing a similar style of humor to the original series. I'm just glad that I had the Cantonese dub (from ATV) to rely on over the years. They did a pretty good job on dubbing the series.
    Unlike here where it felt like we had to play catch-up with it, though I often felt a lot of details were left out in the process. It's interesting that people do like the FUNi dub of the series though at times it does get on my nerves a bit that it's so over-the-top. Not sure if they're planning a third season as Adult Swim's rights to air it expired over a month ago. I've heard the Vitello Productions dub but not the phuuz version personally.
    FREE CARTOONS ARE A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT!

  16. #16
    tinlunlau is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    627
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Donut View Post
    Unlike here where it felt like we had to play catch-up with it, though I often felt a lot of details were left out in the process. It's interesting that people do like the FUNi dub of the series though at times it does get on my nerves a bit that it's so over-the-top. Not sure if they're planning a third season as Adult Swim's rights to air it expired over a month ago. I've heard the Vitello Productions dub but not the phuuz version personally.

    I think ATV's a little behind on the Cantonese dub episodes. Cuz there were "new" (as ATV claims) episodes that were previously aired on Cartoon Network (in the US). But as far as the manga goes in Hong Kong and Taiwan, the tankouban's pretty much come out on the same time and day as Japan.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO