Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Toon Zone Talkback - "Kiddy Grade": Much More Than Fanservice

Like This Thread!
    This is the talkback thread for "Kiddy Grade": Much More Than Fanservice.

It's been a couple years since I last watched Kiddy Grade, but I remember liking it. But it was missing that special something to find a place in my all-time favorites list.

Oh well, at least the animation stayed consistent throughout. This was back before Gonzo got swamped in projects and their quality suffered a tad.

Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Eclair is just a joy to watch, and that's not just because of her character design.

I didn't mind her second form too much (though it took some getting used to), but her third form just lacks the usual Eclair hotness.
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Forgot to mention this before, but Kiddy Grade's orchestral soundtrack (by Shiroh Hamaguchi) is still one of my favorites. There are a lot of memorable tunes in there for all kinds of moods.

Trivia: Apparently Shiroh did the music for One Piece too.

PeppeRaskell1 is offline Roaster of Bad Piggies!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Second form? I was wondering why the two girls looked different in later episodes of Kiddy Grade! Why did they change their appearances? I rather liked Eclair's little red dress.

Guess I missed more than one episode...
    "Legends never die. Networks kill them..."

"Crimefighters...don't cry...(HONK!)"

"あなたの弾丸は私に害を与えることができない。私の翼は鋼鉄の盾のようである!"

"This is my childhood. Don't mess with my childhood..."

"You just became part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet..."

AstroNerdBoy is offline ANB-sama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first third of the series was fun and episodic. It rather reminded me of Dirty Pair with the two of them being sent on missions to various planets, only without Mughi). The second third of the series was something I really got into as the series shifted from episodic to serial. The final third was "plot twist's 'r' us" because man, if there was a plot twist, it was thrown out there. I thought they went a bit overboard in that aspect.

Otherwise, I did enjoy the series and should another come out, I'll (eventually) watch that as well.

purplehairedwonder is offline No woman should suffer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been debating whether or not to check this series out for awhile now. Sounds like it would be worthwhile to, so I might just have to.

TZ's resident fangirl queen

Find me:
    AO3 | Tumblr | Twitter | Hypable

ReWatchable Podcast: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppeRaskell1 View Post
    Second form? I was wondering why the two girls looked different in later episodes of Kiddy Grade! Why did they change their appearances? I rather liked Eclair's little red dress.

Guess I missed more than one episode...
    It's explained in one of the later episodes, but you know how in some sci-fi shows the one non-organic character will upgrade to a new form for whatever reason? It's kinda like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
    Otherwise, I did enjoy the series and should another come out, I'll (eventually) watch that as well.
    I dunno if it's already been shown, but I believe a Kiddy Grade 2 was being made and its assumed FUNi is negotiating for licensing rights.
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

Shiroi Hane Guest
    It hasn't aired and no-one knows yet when it will, but the sequel is planned and FUNi has indicated that they are aware of it and are interested.

A year ago people, me included, were predicting it would be released after the three digest movies finished showing. Now the original series is being re-released again as two box sets which could again be taken as advance promotion of the sequel (or, more cynically, as trying to cash in on Aya's recent popularity...)

I'm expecting an October release (gímik seem to like October, although admittedly that is based on only two prior examples). I really hope it will be October 2008, not 2009 as again, I was saying much the same thing a year ago..

HellCat is online now Old man in a young man's body
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    With a UK release on the horizon, I've spent the week watching the full series. Obviously don't want to go too much in detail because of that but I am keen to share a few thoughts.

Whilst I overall enjoyed it, I think the show really suffers from the recent Japanese tradition of locking answers away in reference books and such. The show raises quite a few mysteries and questions and whilst it kinda answers them and seems to show a surprising amount of respect for what ideas modern viewers will be familiar with, alot of the stuff is very vaguely touched or given very easy to miss short, one line answers. I don't mind a series expecting me to think but often it seemed like they got a bit too excited with what they could hint at and forgot to explain it. Likewise, the second act of the show comes off as kind of pointless given there's not really any lasting effects. It's a bit like having a finale arc midway through the show and then after a brief spell saying 'And then everyone was friends again'.

Also as a nitpick- how did those tiny masks fool anyone?