Search the Site:
Loading...
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    FinnMacCool's Avatar
    FinnMacCool is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Longest battle in anime/manga history

    Like This Thread!

    Action oriented manga and anime are notorious for stretching out fights for a long time. But what's the longest fight in the entire history of Japanese comic books and animation (in terms of how many pages/episodes it ran for, not length of time that actually elapsed in the story)? I've got a feeling it's probably something from Dragonball, but I'm by no means confident.

  2. #2
    veemonjosh's Avatar
    veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Grid
    Posts
    13,066
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In before the obligatory "Goku vs Freeza" post.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

  3. #3
    Rud's Avatar
    Rud
    Rud is online now Nine Arts Dragon
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mays Landing, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    In before the obligatory "Goku vs Freeza" post.

    in the manga, that battle wasnt very long, the anime just draged it out too much (probably for the same reason they drag out the story in naruto shippuden)

  4. #4
    Harlan_Phoenix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dr. Manhattan's New World
    Posts
    2,255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember the Dartz battle in YGO going longer than any card game should.

  5. #5
    Joe's Avatar
    Joe
    Joe is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
    Action oriented manga and anime are notorious for stretching out fights for a long time. But what's the longest fight in the entire history of Japanese comic books and animation (in terms of how many pages/episodes it ran for, not length of time that actually elapsed in the story)? I've got a feeling it's probably something from Dragonball, but I'm by no means confident.
    For the anime, I think Goku's battle with Freeza in Dragonball Z is one of the longest. It was about 17 episodes long

    Manga-wise, I'm not quite sure...

  6. #6
    veemonjosh's Avatar
    veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Grid
    Posts
    13,066
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hehey View Post
    in the manga, that battle wasnt very long, the anime just draged it out too much (probably for the same reason they drag out the story in naruto shippuden)
    I know, I meant anime-wise.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

  7. #7
    Neo Ultra Mike's Avatar
    Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East Northport
    Posts
    6,836
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Originally posted byHarlan_Phoneix
    I remember the Dartz battle in YGO going longer than any card game should.
    I think that was eight episodes long (if you count the full Dartz duel) which is pretty bad. Not as bad as DBZ though...

    Originally posted by Joe
    For the anime, I think Goku's battle with Freeza in Dragonball Z is one of the longest. It was about 17 episodes long
    Which if you count the full battle is actually 20 episodes long. There are some pauses but for the most part it's full of battle in some form all the way through.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

    ...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

    .... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

  8. #8
    macattack's Avatar
    macattack is offline I see you!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yusuke vs. Togoro in the Dark Tournament took quite a few episodes if my memory's straight . . . certainly wasn't Goku vs. Frieza but I still liked it, because progress was actually made in the episodes, compared to how Goku and Frieza was "artifically lengthened".
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

  9. #9
    asphaltviking64's Avatar
    asphaltviking64 is offline High Inquisitor of soup
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    behind my virtual boy
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Probably Goku vs Freeza, I should check although it is pretty infamous for the longevity of the fight and it was all in 5 minutes, though how long was the Gohan vs Cell final fight?
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    If Death Note is a teen dark comedy then Monty Python And The Holy Grail is a serious drama faithful to Arthurian legend.

  10. #10
    Mr. Anime is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you considered it one long continuous battle like I do, the final battle with Majin Buu which started with Gotenks vs Super Majin Buu to Goku blowing Kid Majin Buu away with the Spirit Bomb was longer than all the other DBZ battles in the Anime and Manga.

  11. #11
    FatFree is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    Yusuke vs. Togoro in the Dark Tournament took quite a few episodes if my memory's straight . . . certainly wasn't Goku vs. Frieza but I still liked it, because progress was actually made in the episodes, compared to how Goku and Frieza was "artifically lengthened".
    It was only three or four episodes, if I remember right. Nowhere near the length of the Goku vs. Frieza battle.

  12. #12
    rubberchicken's Avatar
    rubberchicken is offline The biggest thing since WWIII
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    2,006
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The final battle of Victory Gundam holds the franchise record, I think, stretching out over about ten episodes. Not a shounen fighting series, but meh.

  13. #13
    Duke's Avatar
    Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    25,553
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anytime a battle takes up an entire boxset, you know you've got problems. I'll go into more detail on my review, but the Freeza fight is just one, long, gigantic pain in the ass.
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

  14. #14
    RAINMAN's Avatar
    RAINMAN is offline Kikoutei Densetsu
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Bayou
    Posts
    4,810
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The goku vs freeza battle was long cause it was supposed to be the last battle in DB. But AT kept it going cause the series was so freaking populare. I think the fight got better when goku finally became a super sayain.

  15. #15
    HellCat's Avatar
    HellCat is offline Travelling hero
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Bedford, England
    Posts
    20,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Anytime a battle takes up an entire boxset, you know you've got problems. I'll go into more detail on my review, but the Freeza fight is just one, long, gigantic pain in the ass.
    The jokes about his homoerotic dub personality write themselves!

  16. #16
    Duke's Avatar
    Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    25,553
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAINMAN View Post
    The goku vs freeza battle was long cause it was supposed to be the last battle in DB. But AT kept it going cause the series was so freaking populare. I think the fight got better when goku finally became a super sayain.
    It did get somewhat better, but the anime version was still stretched out way too much. I mean, you could junkat least 3 of the episodes and condense about 6 of the others into 3 and the story wouldn't have changed at all.

    It also didn't help that the animation for the second half of the Freeza saga really, really sucked.
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

  17. #17
    Eddy's Avatar
    Eddy is offline there's a chicken on my head
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    4,871
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like everyone else is saying, it has to be Goku vs. Frieza. That went on for far, far too long

    Five minutes indeed.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    23,798
    Blog Entries
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    Like everyone else is saying, it has to be Goku vs. Frieza. That went on for far, far too long

    Five minutes indeed.
    I must be the only guy who doesn't care about its length.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

  19. #19
    GWOtaku's Avatar
    GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    16,819
    Blog Entries
    45
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Its not longer than the Namek thing, but in Street Fighter II V the fight against Bison lasts for five episodes. Five long, horribly drawn out episodes.

    *Ryu charges Hadoken*
    Ken: DO IT, RYU!
    Bison: YES, DO IT RYU! MWHAHAHA!
    *Ryu charges Hadoken some more*

    And it goes on, and on, and on, and on, and....

  20. #20
    Zeonic Freak's Avatar
    Zeonic Freak is offline The Heartbeat of America...
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    "Silent Hill" SC...
    Posts
    3,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubberchicken View Post
    The final battle of Victory Gundam holds the franchise record, I think, stretching out over about ten episodes. Not a shounen fighting series, but meh.
    Yea, but that was just the last ten episodes of the Zanscare Empire, and Uso and the gang did other things up in space than fight one person for 10 episode likes what everyone else has been saying "Goku vs Freeza".

    Well, its been a while since ive seen Victory, might have to go back and recheck...
    Part of a podcast that likes old school anime, but will find something to dislike about it. And we talk about other stuff.
    The Anime of Yesteryear Podcast

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO