Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mr. Anime is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was the Goku vs Frieza battle in DBZ really that dragged out?

Like This Thread!

Was the Goku vs Frieza battle in DBZ really that dragged out? Becuase I have been rewatching my DBZ videos and I have just finished the entire Goku vs Frieza yesteday and I remembear that lots of people here said that this battle went on for too long.

NickWhiz1 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Need we remind you of the phrase "five minutes"?

...I've got nothing.

Dark Fact is offline Preaching evil since '04
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You wanna know a funny thing? Had Frieza mentioned that planet Namek would explode in five hours instead of five minutes, we would've all had let the dragged out fight slide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Highwind
    "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST--Here comes a new challenger, we're gonna get one hell of a show! Which one of these fighters will walk away a champion?!"

Beat is offline Retired
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Longest five minutes in the history of the universe.
    If I've ever offended anyone because I've said something that was crass, offensive, or just plain stupid personally, I apologize profusely.
    If I've ever offended someone because of my opinion concerning cartoons- Is that really something to be enraged about?

Nin-Nin69 is offline [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's Toei's fault. Nobody ever blames Toei.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nin-Nin69
    It's Toei's fault. Nobody ever blames Toei.
    Yeah, considering how much more quickly that fight went in the manga. Since probably a bit long, but nowhere near the ten episodes Toei bestowed upon us.
    With multiple forms of Grim, its clear he's a dragon ball z character in his powered down state. DONT GET HIM ANGRY!

-MrAngryFace, GA Forums, Thread "So, what exactly is the Grimace?"

"You can't end a good party without someone on the floor." -Yusuke Urameshi

Fresh V is offline Stand By Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seriously, what the hell was Toei thinking when they did that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh V
    Seriously, what the hell was Toei thinking when they did that?
    It probably just depends on where Toei had animated up to at that point against what chapter Toriyama had finished at the time. It's possible they got far too close to where Toriyama was in the manga and needed to give him time to get more chapters done, so they improvised. Unfortunately they improvised at probably the wrong time and we got a lot more drag on scenes than probably intended.

I'll give them this though, despite all the filler the Dragonball series is one of the most faithful manga to anime adaptions that I have ever seen.
    With multiple forms of Grim, its clear he's a dragon ball z character in his powered down state. DONT GET HIM ANGRY!

-MrAngryFace, GA Forums, Thread "So, what exactly is the Grimace?"

"You can't end a good party without someone on the floor." -Yusuke Urameshi

Fresh V is offline Stand By Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I know they had to drag it out to avoid catching up to the manga. But damn, they could have at least took out the 5 minutes thing or made it 5 hours like Dark Fact said, instead of having a ridiculously long 5 minutes.

Grenzer is offline Well, he's almost a pony...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Toei dragged the fight out because at the time Toriyama was dead set on ending Dragonball after the Frieza Saga ended. While editors at SJ were persuading Toriyama to continue (in the form of a huge cash bonus), Toei needed to prevent the anime from going off the air in order to keep its time slot, so they did what they could to extent the story arc as long as they could. I am sure if Toei could have avoided it they would have, but the threat of losing their cash cow drove them to do some very stupid things.
    My Fanfic: Tastes great, less filling! (Not the Actual Title) Updated 9/17

Nin-Nin69 is offline [CUE SQUEALING FANGIRLS]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenzer
    ... the threat of losing their cash cow drove them to do some very stupid things.
    Like DBGT for example.

Timmay is offline 100th cup of coffee.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember saying to myself "Wow! 5 minutes! the fight is sure to end tomorrow!"

2 weeks went by.

Zeonic Freak is offline The Heartbeat of America...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike JD Silva
    It probably just depends on where Toei had animated up to at that point against what chapter Toriyama had finished at the time. It's possible they got far too close to where Toriyama was in the manga and needed to give him time to get more chapters done, so they improvised. Unfortunately they improvised at probably the wrong time and we got a lot more drag on scenes than probably intended.

I'll give them this though, despite all the filler the Dragonball series is one of the most faithful manga to anime adaptions that I have ever seen.
    yea, what you said. Well for Initial D the manga and the Fourth Stage went basicly side by side, but the episodes came out like 2 or so months apart. The longest in Fourth Stage was probably the last race which both spaned to 4 episodes. So i just pray that its a couple of years and more books before new ID comes out.

Sorry to sound off topic, but wanted to find something to compare too.

Thats why i always think its a bad idea for manga and tv to go next togeather...

TimmayI remember saying to myself "Wow! 5 minutes! the fight is sure to end tomorrow!"

2 weeks went by.11-21-2006 11:57 AM
    Thats something i would say... but your absolutly right and i LAWLed when i saw that.
    Part of a podcast that likes old school anime, but will find something to dislike about it. And we talk about other stuff.
    The Anime of Yesteryear Podcast

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The whole five minutes turning into like 10 episodes was ridiculous. The only possible explanation could be that Goku and Frieza were really fighting faster than it seemed, but it was shown slower for the viewers. Remember how during the Cell Games, the audience couldn't see a lot of the fighting because of how fast it was? Of course even by that rule, it is impossible for that fight to be only 5 minutes, considering all the events that happened during the fight.

Dark Fact is offline Preaching evil since '04
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Toriyama's original plan for the ending was to have
    Spoiler:
    Goku die on planet Namek?

It does make sense when you consider it from Toriyama's point of view. I don't think he ever intended for the Androids to had ever existed as well as Dr. Gear-O.

Spoiler:
    With the Red Ribbon army completely obliterated singlehandedly by Goku, there shouldn't be any more underlings left but they had to go and add Dr. Gear-O who was incognito previously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Highwind
    "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST--Here comes a new challenger, we're gonna get one hell of a show! Which one of these fighters will walk away a champion?!"

Lutochris is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never thought it was very dragged out. I thought the long number of episodes made the fight seem that much more epic. I mean prior to that you'd never see those long multi-episode fights going on in anime/manga. I think the whole "5 minutes" was just Frieza assuming that the planet would explode in 5 minutes. But he probably underestimated his own strength as he had spent a lot of his energy already fighting Goku.

Grenzer is offline Well, he's almost a pony...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Fact
    So Toriyama's original plan for the ending was to have
    Spoiler:
    Goku die on planet Namek?

It does make sense when you consider it from Toriyama's point of view. I don't think he ever intended for the Androids to had ever existed as well as Dr. Gear-O.

Spoiler:
    With the Red Ribbon army completely obliterated singlehandedly by Goku, there shouldn't be any more underlings left but they had to go and add Dr. Gear-O who was incognito previously.
    Spoiler:
    Toriyama never intended for Goku to die, he just wanted to end the manga on a highnote, with Goku having ascended to Super Saiyan status and killing the villain responsible for the death of his race. In Toriyama's view, there was no story left to tell after an event like that, and some critics of Dragonball would probably agree with him on that point.
    My Fanfic: Tastes great, less filling! (Not the Actual Title) Updated 9/17

Mr. Anime is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But the battles against Vegeta and Nappa, Cell and Majin Buu were just as long yet it's it's always the Frieza fight that people say dragged on.

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anime
    But the battles against Vegeta and Nappa, Cell and Majin Buu were just as long yet it's it's always the Frieza fight that people say dragged on.
    That's because they had better plot elements going on, and Cell and Buu themselves weren't fought in just one battle like Frieza was. There was also better pacing. Yeah I know the fighters changed from Gohan, Vegeta, and Krillin to Goku, but it still felt like one fight because Goku starts fighting Frieza right after Vegeta dies.

Nel_Annette is offline Go green!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always liked to think that Frieza was referring to his home planet's version of "minutes", not Goku's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast