Quantcast
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Gary L Thompson is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Newtype USA's "Top 25 Anime of All Time"

Like This Thread!
    Newtype USA has just brought out its second-anniversary issue, and it includes the final results of its readers’ poll of the top 25 anime of all time.

One thing that struck me immediately upon seeing the list was that the readers must have misunderstood the poll to be the “top 25 anime of today”. Out of the 25 selected, none are earlier than 1985, 21 were 1995 or later, and 11 on the list were past 2000. Another striking point was that four out of the top five aired on Cartoon Network (all five, if Giant Robot Week counts), as did six of the top 10, and 12 on the total list. One has to wonder whether that is a tribute to CN’s shrewdness in selecting animes, or a tribute to CN’s ability to give an anime a higher profile among American viewership than it would intrinsically have otherwise (or a mixture of both).

I don’t imagine the top anime, “Evangelion”, or the runner-up, “Cowboy Bebop”, would come as a surprise to anyone. I guess a large part of the success of No. 3 “Inuyasha” is that Rumiko Takahashi has done it all before: comical love-hate romance (“Ramna 1/2”--which snagged No. 8 despite being pretty much limited to video release all these years--“Urusei Yatsura”, “Maison Ikkoku” and “One Pound Gospel”), Japanese mythology (“Urusei Yatsura” and “Mermaid” sagas), horror (“Mermaid” sagas, Rumic World tales like “Laughing Target”), even a modern girl-meets-boy-warrior-in-15th-century-time-travel-saga (“Fire Tripper”)--but never all in one place before. There is a touch of irony in “Kenshin” and “Trigun” ranking four and five--they debuted at the same time on CN, yet “Kenshin” has proved to be the more ill-starred in terms of repeat airings and running consistently to the end.

The rest of the list has some real surprises. Despite being the oldest anime on the list, despite the controversy that has raged for years with “Macross” purists who have assailed the creator as an “anime anti-christ”, and despite being off the air and even regular cable for years at a time, “Robotech” snagged the No. 7 position, which has to be a real upset. Methinks a big part of it that despite the defects and ill fortune that’s dogged the franchise from the very beginning, Carl Macek still managed to tell one compelling epic. Despite not being on TV at all since CN yanked it a few years ago, despite video release currently being limited to the “S” and “SS” seasons and no release at all on the two most recent seasons (“Stars” and live-action “Bishoujo Senshi”), despite only two other animes on the list being clearly aimed at younger juvenile viewers (“Dragonball Z” and “Card Captor Sakura”) and only four others being predating it (“Robotech”, “Ramna 1/2”, “Akira”, “Dragonball Z”--which really didn’t make its impact in America until well into the 1990s), “Sailor Moon” managed to snag No. 10 spot! Maybe the SM franchise is not irretrievably dead as many seem to think?

The No. 20 finish of the “Evangelion” contemporary “Escaflowne” is a bit shocking--one cannot help to wonder what might have happened if Saban/Fox hadn’t stolen this show from “Toonami”, and left America and Canada with only a subtitled video release as the only faithful version (likewise, one has to wonder if “Card Captor Sakura” would have done much better than No. 25 if it weren’t only available in subtitled videos, thanks to “Cardcaptors” vandalism foisted on TV viewers by Nelvana and Kids WB). DBZ placing at No. 19 has to be surprising, given it being a ratings juggernaut of some years standing on CN. And there is the conundrum of no Gundam series making the list aside from “Gundam Seed” at No. 22 (if “Akira” could make the list, why couldn’t the classic “Char’s Counterattack”, a movie of similar vintage?).

Comments?

JDNobodi is offline Rocking Out!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would be against the forum's rules to post the whole list? I would comment but I don't have the issue yet and I don't where every show is placed. As for only shows that have been made in the last fifteen years to make the majority of list, what did you expect? Most Otaku just got interested into anime. It's only natural they would pick shows that are the most recent.
    I'm a slob--get over it.

Fear my ignorance--I am a TAO, number two.

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Neo-Era is offline The power of ∀ compels you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary L Thompson
    And there is the conundrum of no Gundam series making the list aside from “Gundam Seed” at No. 22 (if “Akira” could make the list, why couldn’t the classic “Char’s Counterattack”, a movie of similar vintage?).
    Akira's been around long enough to attain a cult-classic status that makes it known even to non-anime fans. Char's Counterattack just doesn't have that here.
    Gunota Headlines - The daily Gundam news blog
    The New Adventures Of Tomino-sama - The not-so daily Gundam parody webcomic

Jave is offline Beware of the SPLAT
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    1 » Neon Genesis Evangelion
    2 » Cowboy Bebop
    3 » Inuyasha
    4 » Rurouni Kenshin
    5 » Trigun
    6 » Fruits Basket
    7 » Robotech
    8 » Ranma 1/2
    9 » Love Hina
    10 » Sailor Moon
    11 » Hellsing
    12 » FLCL
    13 » Fushigi Yugi
    14 » Chobits
    15 » Akira
    16 » Tenchi Muyo!
    17 » Azumanga Daioh
    18 » Initial D
    19 » Dragonball Z
    20 » Vision of Escaflowne
    21 » Full Metal Panic!
    22 » Gundam Seed
    23 » Wolf's Rain
    24 » Cardcaptor Sakura
    25 » Excel Saga

Pokemon is nowhere to be seen. Yay.
    Jave's Support Gallery - My Tumblr Blog detailing my current run of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

What a Cartoon Review Blog - My own project where the goal is to write a detailed review to the original 48 WAC shorts.

Eddy is offline there's a chicken on my head
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's a pretty good list, acually. Though I consider several animes on the list to be better than ones that ranked higher. Hooray, "Fruits Basket" got in the top ten! ^_^

Sandoz is offline Thin Man Fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh. The problem with these reader poll lists is that too many fans confuse "the best of all time" with "my favorite" or "most popular". The fact that most of these are new releases/airing on television while there isn't a single Miyazaki film on the list suggests that was the case here.
    "As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness that was very pleasurable, until I realized that it wasn't a nectarine at all, but a HUMAN HEAD."
    ~Jack Handey

Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Javeman
    Pokemon is nowhere to be seen. Yay.

I do like that CCS, Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket, and Excel Saga are on the list, though I doubt I'd put ES in the Top 25...
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

Juu-kuchi is offline Everypony's Starry-Eyed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've never been fond of the placement of anime in these top 25 of all time stuff. I like Duke enjoy the fact that some of my favorite anime are on the list.

Elven Moon is offline hiya, toonsters
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    EXCEL SAGA, but no Slayers?! For shame!
    "You look like an ugly sister's... ugly sister's... ugly doll... thing" - Victor Volt, The Secret Show
    ø Cels of Sugar: Megan's Cel Gallery ø
    ø Retro Shoujo ø

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast