Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    veemonjosh is offline The Fool
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Episode 22 Beep Counter: 18
    Total Beeps to Date: 267

After a torrent of beeps in the first half, there wasn't a single one in the second half!

Anyways, after that action-packed fight, it looks like we're heading for the climactic finale. Just two episodes left.
    Last edited by veemonjosh; 09-06-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 12/25 - The Wind Rises)

tuatara1 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apologies in advance to the fans of this series. My opinions are mine only and not meant to demean or belittle something you enjoy.

I wrote several weeks ago that I had come to hate this show, but that I would stick with it to the end. However, I don't think that's going to happen after all. I truly despise this relentlessly cynical, nihilistic, wishes-it-could-be-Tarantino-and-Woo, not-nearly-as-deep-as-it-thinks-it-is, gun-fetishist's-wet-dream nonsense.

In fact, my disgust with it has built to such a level that I now hate that it even exists at all. That's a rare thing for me, as I'm generally a lot more accepting of works even if I don't personally enjoy them. But this has pushed its way into a special category for me. I really wish I had never watched even one episode. I feel lessened as a person for doing so.

Again, I really don't mean to offend the fans of this series. But this has been building up and I needed to vent it. Thankfully, I don't plan on complaining about it again.

Paul_Cousins is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitschensyngk View Post
    This is Hotel Moscow you're screwing with, honey. When they're done with you, they'll have to bury what's left of you in a Coke bottle.

Yeah, like dice. And you're about to roll snake eyes.
    I know. If only Rock has just outright stated that Hotel Moscow were ex-soviet special forces, that might have changed Yukio mind. Or even if someone had told bullet slicing with sword, mayslayer, Ginji, who Hotel Moscow really was, he might have just tied up Yukio and ran for the hills. Because, I get the feeling those two do not grasp they are facing.

Speaking of Ginji, it takes a lot of impress Revy, and get a compliment from her. And I guess slicing bullets with a sword would do it.

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ahh, don't worry, Tuatara, none taken. I wasn't as disappointed with Black Lagoon as you but I do think it oversold what it tried to deliver. This last arc especially feels flat.

The Roberta arc was the one part where I was satisfied though. I hear there is more.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: Forget Five Nights At Freddys....can you survive even ONE night with this Misfit Christmas Special, so Misfit it never even AIRED? Plus a bonus Misfit in Claymation!

Radical is online now Epic Devious Troll
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The horrible unlikable scumbag Chaka's bashings/drowning death was super satisfying, YYEESSS, go Rock, Revy, and Ginji to kick his butt along with Ginji cutting off his arms was epic/brutal, that disgusting piece of crap so deserved it for attacking poor Yukio, he'll be joining with Darcia, King Bradley(Pride/Wrath)/Envy/Solf Kimblee/Frank Archer/Shou Tucker, Colonel Dewey, Diva/Amshell/James, Medusa/Arachne/Asura, and Braiking Boss in the afterlife, hehehe.
    Both Yukio/Ginji/The Washimine Group should of surrendered.
    Poor Rock/Yukio will never see each other again.
    Balalaika, awesome/ruthless/despicable as ever to launch an attack on the poor Washimine Group/poor Yukio and Ginji.
    The Washimine Group arc is easily my least favorite arc though while the Roberta/Hansel & Gretel/Greenback Jane arcs are my favorite awesome/enjoyable arcs.
    Last edited by Radical; 08-17-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Gatomon41 is offline Joy To the World!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Cousins View Post
    I know. If only Rock has just outright stated that Hotel Moscow were ex-soviet special forces, that might have changed Yukio mind. Or even if someone had told bullet slicing with sword, mayslayer, Ginji, who Hotel Moscow really was, he might have just tied up Yukio and ran for the hills. Because, I get the feeling those two do not grasp they are facing.

Speaking of Ginji, it takes a lot of impress Revy, and get a compliment from her. And I guess slicing bullets with a sword would do it.
    One wonders Yukio or Ginji would even listen to Rock, because it seems Yukio wasn't at all during the whole episode. Rock could probably tell her how "efficient" Hotel Moscow is, and not believe him until it was too late. Yukio has already made up her mind, as pointless as it was. She no longer believes she can get out of it.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

JOY TO THE WORLD! THE LORD IS COME! LET EARTH RECEIVE HER KING!

Pro vita quad spes.

Kitschensyngk is online now An Anri New Year!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuatara1 View Post
    Apologies in advance to the fans of this series. My opinions are mine only and not meant to demean or belittle something you enjoy.

I wrote several weeks ago that I had come to hate this show, but that I would stick with it to the end. However, I don't think that's going to happen after all. I truly despise this relentlessly cynical, nihilistic, wishes-it-could-be-Tarantino-and-Woo, not-nearly-as-deep-as-it-thinks-it-is, gun-fetishist's-wet-dream nonsense.

In fact, my disgust with it has built to such a level that I now hate that it even exists at all. That's a rare thing for me, as I'm generally a lot more accepting of works even if I don't personally enjoy them. But this has pushed its way into a special category for me. I really wish I had never watched even one episode. I feel lessened as a person for doing so.

Again, I really don't mean to offend the fans of this series. But this has been building up and I needed to vent it. Thankfully, I don't plan on complaining about it again.
    I understand perfectly that this show may not be for everybody. I quite liked it when I first saw it in my college anime club, and that's coming from a guy who didn't care to see Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion or Deadman Wonderland prior to their Adult Swim broadcasts because of their individual levels of violence.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays

POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Gremlins

Visit my new Internet animation blog NEVERENDING SATURDAY MORNING!

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Oddly enough, I don't think that I hate the series that much, but I really don't like it. I can definitely see where you're coming from though. I certainly agree that the show isn't nearly as deep as it thinks it is and most of its characters aren't particularly interesting. Since I'm so close to the end, I figured that I'd watch to the end. I'm still debating with myself if I'll watch Roberta's Bloodtrail since at this point, the Roberta arc was one of the few good things about the series for me. I'm not sure if I regret watching the series yet. I'll have to think about that once they get to the end of this season. I seriously hope that whatever show they get to replace Black Lagoon will be far in a way better for me.

As for the episode, I thought that it was okay. I was honestly expecting a far worse death scene for Chaka. He kidnapped Yukio after one of the guys brutally beat her up, stripped her down to her underwear as if she was a doll, I think he was planning to send her off to one of his friends that would get her high and eat poop before I assume raping her and he drowns after getting his hands sliced off. I was expecting Ginji to cut him up into pieces, but I guess he wanted him to suffer more by drowning while bleeding. Even Revy recognized how much of a scum bag he was and she's a truly horrible person herself. The fact that he kept hitting on Revy also showed how much of a moron he was. At least Rock hit him with a bowling pin. That was pretty awesome.

Given the situation Rock rescued Yukio from, calling him her enemy seemed a bit odd. I could understand believing that she chose this path in order for her to emotionally and psychologically deal with what she just went through and I would understand wanting to keep the family alive if the people who kidnapped her weren't her subordinates. Plus, aside from Ginji and I think that guy that they murdered in the previous episode, I don't think that any of the people her in clan care about her, so doing it for them seemed pretty stupid. Considering what she just lived through and who they're facing, it would honestly be a smarter choice for Yukio and Ginji to just head for the hills at this point.

Although, I thought that she was pretty much spot on about Rock. He doesn't want to go back to his normal life, but he doesn't want to get pulled into the darkness of the criminal world any further. While I think he did genuinely care about helping Yukio because he still has a sense of morality and compassion, I think that she was right in how she basically represents Rock's life that he doesn't want to go back to or lose completely. That's the kind of conflict that I wish the show had focused more on about Rock since it's actually an interesting issue. Even so, a part of me also wondered why it was presented as he only had two choices. He could also leave if he wanted to. He wouldn't have to go back to his old job in Japan, but just find some other way to live more than becoming a criminal.

Overall, it was an okay episode with some interesting moments here and there.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Cohort,

i admire you for being brutally honest but also respectful to those who the enjoy the series. while I've never seen a series or movie that i hated so much i wish it never existed there are some i hate that i wish i stopped watching immediately and didn't waste several minutes or hours of my free time on.

i thought this episode was good. revy slaughtering dozens of minions without breaking a sweat got old way back in season one but i did enjoy the moments with ginji due to me always haven been a fan of the honorable swordsman type characters. swords are my favorite weapon in fictional media and its always cool to see someone use one with such proficiency. revy getting so excited about the bullet slicing technique was disturbing. several anime and have characters who love killing and meeting challenging opponents to test their skill but revy is one of the worse due to having no likeable qualities whatsoever.

i enjoyed the exchange between rock and yukio and wish the show brought up this kind of conversation much earlier in the series. this series would be much better if it showed rock gradually becoming more of a ruthless thug with every arc and slowly realize that rationality and amicable resolutions are in impossible in the criminal underworld. its not good to have a protagonist who mostly stays on the sidelines in an action series.

the cahka storyline has been mostly a side diversion for these past four episodes but it ended quick enough.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mayhem View Post
    i thought this episode was good. revy slaughtering dozens of minions without breaking a sweat got old way back in season one but i did enjoy the moments with ginji due to me always haven been a fan of the honorable swordsman type characters. swords are my favorite weapon in fictional media and its always cool to see someone use one with such proficiency. revy getting so excited about the bullet slicing technique was disturbing. several anime and have characters who love killing and meeting challenging opponents to test their skill but revy is one of the worse due to having no likeable qualities whatsoever.
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought that Revy killing a bunch of people without breaking a sweat got old awhile ago. It was kind of cool in that over the top action movie way the first couple of times, but when that keeps happening, it becomes less impressive. It doesn't help that most of the people who Revy slaughters are idiots who don't know how to aim to save their lives either. I also agree that Revy has no likable qualities. She is just far too annoying, unlikable and they don't really give her any redeeming qualities to balance out how much of a horrible person she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mayhem
    i enjoyed the exchange between rock and yukio and wish the show brought up this kind of conversation much earlier in the series. this series would be much better if it showed rock gradually becoming more of a ruthless thug with every arc and slowly realize that rationality and amicable resolutions are in impossible in the criminal underworld. its not good to have a protagonist who mostly stays on the sidelines in an action series.
    It certainly would have been more interesting at least if they showed Rock gradually losing what sense of morality he has left and overall humanity after each arc as a result of being in the Lagoon company. A protagonist staying on the sidelines in an action series isn't necessarily bad if they still have enough presence and focus overall. I think that the first season did have a good amount of focus on Rock, even though he wasn't involved in much of the action directly. He was getting used to basically being a criminal in-training, his morality clashed with Revy's at times and he was a fairly good every man kind of protagonist in this criminal underworld setting.

With this season, I don't think that they were able to do that. Prior to this arc, Rock barely had any presence in this second season. He didn't get much focus in the vampire twin arc until the last episode and one reason that episode didn't work in my opinion was because of how little presence he had before that episode. With the second arc, the most attention he got was fighting off that woman with the chainsaw, which was admittedly pretty awesome, but that was about it. While I can buy that he doesn't want to go any further into the darkness and yet doesn't want to return to his normal life, I think it would have been more effective if he had more focus throughout the earlier arcs and there were a few more hints about Rock not wanting to go back to a normal life, but not becoming more morally corrupted before this episode as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234