Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Gatomon41 is offline Joy To the World!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that this episode was pretty good. The Franky Family and Galley-la did a surprisingly good job against those two giants with already taking one of them down with their teamwork. Luffy constantly beating up hundreds of marine officers was kind of neat and Spandam thinking that he only defeated five men was pretty strange. I imagine that that assumption will come back to bite him in the neck later.

The power level bit was rather strange since I didn't think One Piece did something like that, but if it's just for this one case to gauge CP9's overall strength, then I guess that's fine. The comedy bits during their arguments dragged on a bit, but they probably wanted to show everyone interacting with each other for the first time. Considering how strong they already are, if they're given Devil Fruits, then they'll be insanely strong. At least the rest of the Strawhats were about to help near the end. Overall, it was a pretty good episode.
    There's much I can add on other than that... well, I wasn't quite engaged in this episode. Yes, I did like the whole Storming the Castle bits - I'm a sucker for that. There's just something about taking over-surmountable odds.

But to suddenly shift over to CP9 and their antics, it just didn't work for me. Going from an interesting battle to... whatever we saw with CP9 was jarring to say the least. It was hard to tell it was even in the same episode. It doesn't help that for the most part, CP9 doesn't work for humor. Spandam may be laughable, but only because he's an annoying dolt. It doesn't work for the rest of CP9, who up to this point were a bunch of dangerous professionals. All of a sudden seeing them act like something out of a sitcom is detrimental to that mystique. Instead of awe when these guys show up, I can only feel bewilderment.

Dragged out is an apt description for the humor in the CP9 parts, and makes we wish we could get back to Luffy.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Nobodyman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I guess I could mention that that whole Kabuki theater thing with Kumadori and Jabra was filler. Not that it makes the episode any more enjoyable, but if that was cut the scene may not have dragged so much. But yeah, I can see why some people would be bothered by it. It doesn't really bother me personally because, well, that's just part of Oda's style. Not even deadly assassins are immune from humorous antics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    There's much I can add on other than that... well, I wasn't quite engaged in this episode. Yes, I did like the whole Storming the Castle bits - I'm a sucker for that. There's just something about taking over-surmountable odds.

But to suddenly shift over to CP9 and their antics, it just didn't work for me. Going from an interesting battle to... whatever we saw with CP9 was jarring to say the least. It was hard to tell it was even in the same episode. It doesn't help that for the most part, CP9 doesn't work for humor. Spandam may be laughable, but only because he's an annoying dolt. It doesn't work for the rest of CP9, who up to this point were a bunch of dangerous professionals. All of a sudden seeing them act like something out of a sitcom is detrimental to that mystique. Instead of awe when these guys show up, I can only feel bewilderment.

Dragged out is an apt description for the humor in the CP9 parts, and makes we wish we could get back to Luffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I guess I could mention that that whole Kabuki theater thing with Kumadori and Jabra was filler. Not that it makes the episode any more enjoyable, but if that was cut the scene may not have dragged so much. But yeah, I can see why some people would be bothered by it. It doesn't really bother me personally because, well, that's just part of Oda's style. Not even deadly assassins are immune from humorous antics.
    Honestly, I didn't mind the Kabuki Play filler either since it has the members interacting with each other more and it was humorous. Like Nobody mentioned, Oda tends to give his antagonists some quirkiness and it doesn't really make them weaker. These guys can act silly, but they're still professionals and can kill you.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Yeah, like I said, that whole power level thing was kind of awkward and shoehorned, but it does serve the purpose of gauging CP9's strength (and no, it never comes up again). Oda's done the same thing much more cleverly in the past, like giving the villains number ranks within their organization or establishing survival rates of an encounter with them.
    Well that's good that it doesn't come up again. Giving them number ranks within CP9 probably would have felt like a more natural way to gauge their strength, but for a one time deal, that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post

The scene felt it dragged on a bit, but I didn't mind the humor too much. The newly introduced members of CP9 were already depicted as comical a couple of episodes ago and the other members were still relatively serious for most of the scene. Most of the villains in One Piece do tend to have comical moments/quirks, but it usually doesn't make them less intimidating.

Radical is online now Epic Devious Troll
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    CP9's humorous moments/antics mostly from Rob Lucci, Califa, Kumadori, Jabra, and Fukuro were the best parts which made me laugh along with Rob Lucci/Jabra's funny "dog/cat" rivalries, hehehe, Oda giving the villains/antagonists humorous/comical scenes makes it sweet for the epic show, go Oda, but both the Ginyu Force and CP9 have a lot in common, they both have comical/humorous moments and yet they are ruthless/dangerous murderers, but they were the best things of both Dragonball Z/Kai and One Piece though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345