Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Gatomon41 is offline Joy To the World!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Alright, I will say BE did have some enjoyable elements - the animation was good, most of the episodes were decent and got my attention, and the music was alright.

But what really got me to enjoy the show? The Voice Acting. One of the fun things about anime is recognizing some familiar voices. And whoo boy did this show deliver. Almost all the characters are voiced by well known veterans of anime, providing great performances. Even the voice director must have gotten onto the act: Why else would Mona Marshal be voicing the smart guy again? Or that Kira Buckland would play the role of a smart but socially awkward purple-haired girl?

Yes, I probably had more fun recognizing and making references to their previous roles. This elevated the anime from average to a good time.

Stinger:

Izumo: "You guys are #(@! Friendship is not magic! I'm out of here."
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Megumi is offline ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I told you guys not to watch it, but no one ever listens to me. I applaud your efforts on getting through it though. Congrats.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megumi View Post
    I told you guys not to watch it, but no one ever listens to me. I applaud your efforts on getting through it though. Congrats.
    I remember that and a few other similar comments when the series was announced/first started. After watching it, I don't think it was bad enough for warnings like that. Maybe it helps that Toonami has aired worse shows for me, but I still didn't think that the show was particularly bad. Even with the terrible last arc, it didn't get to the point where I regretted keeping up with the series like I did with Sword Art Online and it was usually fairly decent entertainment at best.

Gatomon41 is offline Joy To the World!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with Light Lucario - this series wasn't awful, well at least until the last arc or so. And even then, I could always just skip those episodes. Sort like how I can skip the first three seasons of Enterprise, or the first two of The Next Generation, say for the good episodes. It's average, but it was entertaining - I haven't had the urge just to change the channel like the Bleach filler.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Rynnec is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me, the show was doomed from day 1. Right when Rin was revealed to be the son of Satan and I heard J-Pop music, I could only think "this is going to be a disaster". No show about the spawn of Satan killing demons and rebelling against dear old dad should ever have candy-ass pop music, no wait, scratch that; no show/movie/videogame/book/whatever about demons should ever have candy-ass pop music period. Things got worse from there. From bland characters and plots and bad "fight" scenes, this show was a mess. The lack of good fight scenes was especially disappointing, a show about demon slaying should at least have good action, but apparently Blue Exorcist didn't get the memo as the action was neither visceral or stylish. Character wise the only ones I really liked were Shiro, Shura, and Izumo, and even then my like for the last two mostly amounted to being the love child of Yoko Littner and Kyouko Sakura, and having several yuri undertones respectively. The villains were lame too, the only decent ones were Patrick Seitz and the Prince of Darkness himself, since they were the only ones with any depth.

As someone who loves things of the occult like demons, to see a demon slaying anime as bland as this was quite the sting. Just so much wasted potential here, had they focused more on the True Cross characters, focused less on highschool BS and birthday parties, a better focus on world building and designs for the demons, and gotten a better soundtrack, this could've been something. Instead we got...this steaming pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    But what really got me to enjoy the show? The Voice Acting. One of the fun things about anime is recognizing some familiar voices. And whoo boy did this show deliver. Almost all the characters are voiced by well known veterans of anime, providing great performances. Even the voice director must have gotten onto the act: Why else would Mona Marshal be voicing the smart guy again? Or that Kira Buckland would play the role of a smart but socially awkward purple-haired girl?
    Or that David Vincent would voice a blonde-haired sword wielding jackass, or Kirk Thornton playing the quirky mentor/father figure to the main protagonists.

Anyway, screw this Blue Exorcist crap, I'm gonna make my own demon show, with blackjack and hookers.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678