Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    FriendlyMushroom is offline Knight of Sidonia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    So, the Trost arc is concluded, we're 13 episodes in to Attack on Titan, and what comes to mind is...this is Attack on Titan?

I mentioned in the last talkback thread that I've been following the show as the English dub airs on Toonami since the premiere. I have anime-lover friends who are pretty big fans of AoT and watched it in Japanese, but I tend to watch shows in the English dub, so I was excited to finally get to watch it in English. But it feels like a whole lot of nothing.

First, some thoughts on the episode. "Eren plugs a hole" could have been the title of the episode. I don't know, that just didn't really get me excited. The whole thing with Jean's equipment malfunctioning literally felt like the plot broke Jean's equipment to give him and the other graduates something to do. The animation was nice; Attack on Titan can bring it when it counts. That last moment with Eren waking up in prison actually made sense to me. Pixis worked with Eren because he saw in Eren the only way to avert this crisis. Now that the crisis is averted, Pixis has no real reason to protect Eren, and the military has plenty of reasons to keep Eren contained and to question him. Anyways, this last episode wasn't bad, I guess, but it wasn't anything truly exciting to me.

Now a look back at Attack on Titan so far. First four episodes? Pretty great. Good way to kick off the series, establish the world and the characters, show them making some growth. Couldn't really ask for a better start. The Trost arc? Ugh. Very little story or character development. Think about it: What happened that was so important that we needed to see, story-wise, over the past nine episodes? Eren becoming a Titan. That's it. You could have cut the Trost arc in half, or less than half, and still told the same story. I hated the way it happened, too. First episode of the Trost arc -- Eren dies. Seriously? You expect me to believe that your main character is dead? If felt like the show was saying, "Yes, NOW FEEL SORRY FOR HIS FRIENDS BECAUSE HE CLEARLY IS DEAD AND THEY HAVE LOST HIM". Sorry, but I didn't feel anything for his friends because I knew that for whatever reason Eren was going to come back. There was no way he was really dead.

Character development was almost nonexistent. Any stuff we saw about Eren we could already have told about him before. The only character who really saw significant development was Mikasa, in the form of a backstory episode that did not appear in any way to tie into what was actually going on with the story. It was just the show going "See, this character had a horrible awful traumatic childhood experience! FEEL SORRY FOR HER!" Sorry, but I don't care about her. Give me a reason to care about her and what she's doing now. Some of the effect was perhaps lost also because they tried tying in her backstory to her feelings about Eren (who I guess inexplicably was a stone cold killer before even losing his mom?) as she was feeling the loss of Eren, and I just wanted her to get over herself and do something because I knew that Eren wasn't going to stay dead.

With all that said, I am sort of hopeful for upcoming episodes. Now that Trost is done with and the plot seems to be turning its attention to the mystery of Eren's powers and why he can do that, and what his father might have to do with everything, we might have an actual story. Hopefully they can pair relevant character development to that as well. But if we get another stretch of episodes which are padded, story-free, and lacking in character development, I probably won't stick with the show further.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyMushroom View Post
    Now a look back at Attack on Titan so far. First four episodes? Pretty great. Good way to kick off the series, establish the world and the characters, show them making some growth. Couldn't really ask for a better start. The Trost arc? Ugh. Very little story or character development. Think about it: What happened that was so important that we needed to see, story-wise, over the past nine episodes? Eren becoming a Titan. That's it. You could have cut the Trost arc in half, or less than half, and still told the same story. I hated the way it happened, too. First episode of the Trost arc -- Eren dies. Seriously? You expect me to believe that your main character is dead? If felt like the show was saying, "Yes, NOW FEEL SORRY FOR HIS FRIENDS BECAUSE HE CLEARLY IS DEAD AND THEY HAVE LOST HIM". Sorry, but I didn't feel anything for his friends because I knew that for whatever reason Eren was going to come back. There was no way he was really dead.
    I think that nine parts was a bit too long as well. It could have been done in six or seven episodes at the most if the pacing was evened out some more. I felt bad Armin and Mikasa since they handled their grief in pretty effective ways, especially with Armin having to see Eren die in front of him, but it also helped that they were at least memorable before that happened too. When it feels like the show is trying to force the audience to feel sad, it's usually been with killing off the nameless redshirt characters, such as with Marco being dead in this episode, or when they list a bunch of names of soldiers that could die as if that would mean anything for the audience. Armin and Mikasa's reaction to Eren's death, on the other hand, felt a bit more genuine and less forced, even though I didn't think that the show would have the guts to kill off the main character this early on in the series. When that does happen, it's normally near or at the end, so I didn't think he was gone for

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyMushroom
    Character development was almost nonexistent. Any stuff we saw about Eren we could already have told about him before. The only character who really saw significant development was Mikasa, in the form of a backstory episode that did not appear in any way to tie into what was actually going on with the story. It was just the show going "See, this character had a horrible awful traumatic childhood experience! FEEL SORRY FOR HER!" Sorry, but I don't care about her. Give me a reason to care about her and what she's doing now. Some of the effect was perhaps lost also because they tried tying in her backstory to her feelings about Eren (who I guess inexplicably was a stone cold killer before even losing his mom?) as she was feeling the loss of Eren, and I just wanted her to get over herself and do something because I knew that Eren wasn't going to stay dead.
    I thought that the reason for showing her backstory was because of her grief over Eren. She had already saw her parents murdered in front of her eyes and lost her adoptive family to a Titan attack, so losing Eren would trigger all of those memories to flood into her again. She was trying to force herself to keep going, crashed only to experience those memories, feel enough despair that she'd want to die and then realized that she wanted to keep fighting in spite of that despair. There wasn't a better time to bring up that flashback in my opinion. While I don't think that the show was trying to force the sadness down the audience throats with that flashback, I thought that the main reason to care about her actually came after her flashback where she decided to keep fighting back. I thought that her body moving on reflect to save herself, in spite of her earlier, decision, and then using that, along with keeping her memories of Eren alive, to keep living was an effective moment. It gave her something other than the cold, stoic, tough as nails female character, so I thought it helped to make her a more interesting character.

I haven't really gotten too upset over how the characters have handled grief and trauma. So far, I've found their reactions to be understandable given their age, fresh out of training and the situation itself. While I can understand being annoyed since you knew that Eren wasn't going to stay dead, I wouldn't get upset at the characters for not being able to get over their feelings when they wouldn't have any reason to believe that Eren wasn't gone forever.

Although, Eren being a stone cold killer even before he lost his mother was really strange and off putting. Armin did seem to gain more confidence over the arc. I don't think that he's the same character he was at the beginning of the arc at least since he was able to take more command in providing plans, standing up for Eren and tried to snap him out of his daze when he first transformed into a Titan. Other than him though, there wasn't much of any other characters development that I can think of for this arc, but there aren't too many memorable characters at this point of the series for me either.

Gold Guy is offline Long-eared grinch?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyMushroom View Post
    So, the Trost arc is concluded, we're 13 episodes in to Attack on Titan, and what comes to mind is...this is Attack on Titan?

I mentioned in the last talkback thread that I've been following the show as the English dub airs on Toonami since the premiere. I have anime-lover friends who are pretty big fans of AoT and watched it in Japanese, but I tend to watch shows in the English dub, so I was excited to finally get to watch it in English. But it feels like a whole lot of nothing.

First, some thoughts on the episode. "Eren plugs a hole" could have been the title of the episode. I don't know, that just didn't really get me excited. The whole thing with Jean's equipment malfunctioning literally felt like the plot broke Jean's equipment to give him and the other graduates something to do. The animation was nice; Attack on Titan can bring it when it counts. That last moment with Eren waking up in prison actually made sense to me. Pixis worked with Eren because he saw in Eren the only way to avert this crisis. Now that the crisis is averted, Pixis has no real reason to protect Eren, and the military has plenty of reasons to keep Eren contained and to question him. Anyways, this last episode wasn't bad, I guess, but it wasn't anything truly exciting to me.

With all that said, I am sort of hopeful for upcoming episodes. Now that Trost is done with and the plot seems to be turning its attention to the mystery of Eren's powers and why he can do that, and what his father might have to do with everything, we might have an actual story. Hopefully they can pair relevant character development to that as well. But if we get another stretch of episodes which are padded, story-free, and lacking in character development, I probably won't stick with the show further.
    I have to warn you now:

The manga is still going, so
    Spoiler:
    the show has no closure, and you won't learn basement or Eren's dad.

Anyway, I liked this one. Like the potato chip scene in Death Note, the director made a seemingly mundane scene (the boulder) exciting, thanks to the animation and music, although Armin's scream was maybe a bit over-the-top!
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

G1Ravage is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The manga is still ongoing. The anime could only work with so much material before catching up, so it does slow down a bit in the middle. I'd rather that than creating filler.
    Vegas...now??

Gold Guy is offline Long-eared grinch?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh, I agree. Besides, I'm not sure how they could insert filler in AoT, unless they pull a "meanwhile" type thing.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456