Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Paul_Cousins is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    That's what I've been wondering about for the majority of the series. He lived in Japan for all of his life, but seemingly had no problem with just leaving everyone he ever knew and cared about for the Lagoon Company. If there was any sign that he wrote them letters or phoned them, maybe it wouldn't be so strange, but it just makes me wonder how he grew up and why they aren't particularly close. I could see that there was some kind of major fallout when he was older, especially when he mentioned that he got into college a year late.

2. Revy needing a vacation from Ronapur would kind of make sense.
    1. That is what I figure as well. And the sense I get from Rock was that he was never happy with his lot in life. And when the company he worked for betrayed him, that was the law straw. And Rock decided to live life the way he wanted to.

To that end, Rock is not a law abiding man. If he was, he would not be working for Lagoon Company. He just lives by his own moral code, like almost all the criminals in Roanapur. It is just happens that his personal code is to be a nice guy. One could say that for Rock, helping people is his... hobby...

2. I fully agree. And during the Maid arc, in the bar fight, Dutch hints that he does take his employees on vacations, away from Roanapur.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Cousins View Post
    1. That is what I figure as well. And the sense I get from Rock was that he was never happy with his lot in life. And when the company he worked for betrayed him, that was the law straw. And Rock decided to live life the way he wanted to.

To that end, Rock is not a law abiding man. If he was, he would not be working for Lagoon Company. He just lives by his own moral code, like almost all the criminals in Roanapur. It is just happens that his personal code is to be a nice guy. One could say that for Rock, helping people is his... hobby...
    He certainly wasn't happy with his job at least, even before they were willing to let him die. That was the last straw and I could guess that he just didn't have any attachment to life in Japan at all by that point. I'm still not quite sure why he'd want to stick with the Lagoon Company, if only because I don't see why they're worth holding onto like he claimed back in the first season, but not having anywhere else he can or wants to go to could explain that. While I can see how Rock isn't a law abiding man, I'm not sure if I'd say that helping people is his hobby exactly. He hasn't given me that impression at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Cousins
    2. I fully agree. And during the Maid arc, in the bar fight, Dutch hints that he does take his employees on vacations, away from Roanapur.
    That would make sense just so that they can relax a bit without the stress and chaos of the city to bother them. In that case, Revy needs a long vacation to possibly discover any trace of humanity left in her. Maybe then she can become somewhat human for awhile.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Compatriots,

first good episode in a very long time. revy was more human they she's even been and i was genuinely engaged with everything that was going on. series should have been this interesting from the start.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mayhem View Post
    Compatriots,

first good episode in a very long time. revy was more human they she's even been and i was genuinely engaged with everything that was going on. series should have been this interesting from the start.
    I agree. If Revy had been more like this throughout the series, I probably would have enjoyed it more since she is one of my biggest problems with the show. Plus, the bit more focus on Rock was great since he's one of the few interesting characters, I've been wondering about his family for a long time and he's been in the background for the majority of this season, so giving him some focus again feels kind of nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I agree. If Revy had been more like this throughout the series, I probably would have enjoyed it more since she is one of my biggest problems with the show. Plus, the bit more focus on Rock was great since he's one of the few interesting characters, I've been wondering about his family for a long time and he's been in the background for the majority of this season, so giving him some focus again feels kind of nice.
    It is interesting that Rock is getting a look at the dark side of his homeland. Which he likely never saw before. And he may find it worse than in Roanapur.

And given Rock was hired as a translator in this episode. It is pretty much confirm, in universe, that most dialogue in Roanapur, between the characters there, is done in english.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Cousins View Post
    It is interesting that Rock is getting a look at the dark side of his homeland. Which he likely never saw before. And he may find it worse than in Roanapur.

And given Rock was hired as a translator in this episode. It is pretty much confirm, in universe, that most dialogue in Roanapur, between the characters there, is done in english.
    I'm not sure if he'd find it worse than Roanapur. Maybe a bit more shocking in a personal way due to seeing his homeland in such a darker light than he was probably familiar with, but it would be hard to find it worse than Roanapur. I guess that would depend on how bad the conflict gets from this point forward though.

Aldrius is offline Arrogant Instigator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to spoil anything, but in this story arc, you are about to find out what happens when someone like Chang is not around to keep Balalaika's bloodlust in check.
    I think it's more like... when balaika has to start rolling heads to get a job done. I don't think balalaika is peaceful in Roanapur because of Chang, she's peaceful because it's bad for business and... she really has no cause to be violent. Everyone's terrified of her unless they just don't know to be, like Roberta or the twins. Or they're overly ambitious little jerks --- like that Italian guy.

I really don't like this arc. I thought the vampire twin arch was a much better demonstration of Hotel Moscow's expertise (or at least the Vlodivostock's expertise). This one just kind of... drags for me, the setting is interesting starting out. And I like the contrast between the Roanapur characters and the Japanese ones, but... it's just so much time spent in Japan...

"You still race in the games, do you... guardian?.. For what!? Putting a show on for the masses are we? The young pretender!? To mend and defend... who will defend you the next time we meet!? Have your fun boy... while you can." - Megabyte

"They took everything, Bruce. My dad, my life... you. I'm not saying it's right or even sane... but it's all I have left. So either help me or get out of the way!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
    I think it's more like... when balaika has to start rolling heads to get a job done. I don't think balalaika is peaceful in Roanapur because of Chang, she's peaceful because it's bad for business and... she really has no cause to be violent. Everyone's terrified of her unless they just don't know to be, like Roberta or the twins. Or they're overly ambitious little jerks --- like that Italian guy.
    Spoiler:
    Actually, later in the story, Balalaika outright states that she has a deathwish. She wants to die in combat. But, she also is too good at what she does to die so easily. Along with this, she and Chang has a serious battle, right before Lagoon Company came to Roanapur. The both survived multiple gunshot wounds from each other. And both of them admit that one or both of them should have died that night.

The manga goes into detail on this, during the Blood Trail arc. The anime does not. And the anime on this can be taken with a grain of salt, because Rock is recalling what Dutch told him on the event, and Dutch was not there.

It is possible the reason that Balalaika plays nice with Chang is she knows that Chang is one of the few people that can play are her level, and keep her mind sharp.

G1Ravage is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow.

Japanese speech subtitled into English on Toonami.

Brad Swaile speaking Japanese.

Wow.
    Vegas...now??

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456