Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    TnAdct1 is offline Silence, you dumb wench!!!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    First, anyone else reminded of Skin Taker from the "Candle Cove" creepypasta when it came Ukelele Man?

Second, the reference at the beginning isn't towards "Shaq Attack", but rather the English jazz-funk band Shakatak.
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I thought that this episode was okay. I felt kind of bad for the Ukulele Man at first, but then he became more and more creepy as the episode progressed. I thought that the people he captured were just statues, but actually using their bodies like that was even creepier. I was surprised with Dandy's reaction to QT and Meow's deaths. He usually doesn't really show much care for them, so that at least was at something different.

The river of time looked pretty nice. I kind of figured that Commander Gel would see his mother there, but I was expecting it to turn out differently than that. Watching the Ukulele Man burn up and finally have his own smile was fairly creepy, but a nice ending for him at the same time. I guess that Meow and QT were able to get out of the river of time, but I suppose it doesn't matter either when everything will go back to normal in the next episode. Overall, it was an okay episode. There were some good creepy moments and the whole scene at the river of time was nice as well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Compatriots,

the episode didn't start getting good until dandy entered that guys garden and saw everyone as statutes. i was surprised he got so angry at his friends being turned into statues and went to the river of time to save them. i was also surprised he told that alien it had a great smile when it was dying. dandy's portrayal seems different depending on the episode. sometimes he's portrayed as a jerk that only cares about himself and other times like with the raman alien and the little girl with the bird plushie he can be very nice. i would like this series more if dandy qt and meow seemed more like friends and if they actually went on adventure hunting aliens and saving people instead of just getting into random situations.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mayhem View Post
    Compatriots,

the episode didn't start getting good until dandy entered that guys garden and saw everyone as statutes. i was surprised he got so angry at his friends being turned into statues and went to the river of time to save them. i was also surprised he told that alien it had a great smile when it was dying. dandy's portrayal seems different depending on the episode. sometimes he's portrayed as a jerk that only cares about himself and other times like with the raman alien and the little girl with the bird plushie he can be very nice. i would like this series more if dandy qt and meow seemed more like friends and if they actually went on adventure hunting aliens and saving people instead of just getting into random situations.
    I think Dandy's portrayal is different depending on the episode because the series doesn't have much, if any, continuity. Each episode starts off from scratch with just the basic idea of the three lead characters generally having the same personality traits and having random adventures as they go through space. That can work sometimes, but I prefer most of the emotional/dramatic moments in the series more so than its comedy.

Gatomon41 is offline Joy To the World!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that this episode was okay. I felt kind of bad for the Ukulele Man at first, but then he became more and more creepy as the episode progressed. I thought that the people he captured were just statues, but actually using their bodies like that was even creepier. I was surprised with Dandy's reaction to QT and Meow's deaths. He usually doesn't really show much care for them, so that at least was at something different.
    That's when the episode really got good for me, when Ukulele Man shows his true self. Up to that point, it just seemed like typical Dandy shenanigans. Then we get this tossed at us, and it shocks us into the story. It's such a dark, stark turn that I don't think any of us expected. More so with Dandy's reaction - considering in previous episodes he used QT as a shield, his own desire to save them was surprising.

The river of time looked pretty nice. I kind of figured that Commander Gel would see his mother there, but I was expecting it to turn out differently than that. Watching the Ukulele Man burn up and finally have his own smile was fairly creepy, but a nice ending for him at the same time. I guess that Meow and QT were able to get out of the river of time, but I suppose it doesn't matter either when everything will go back to normal in the next episode. Overall, it was an okay episode. There were some good creepy moments and the whole scene at the river of time was nice as well.
    The episode certainly went into high gear, and only improved greatly with the River of time imagery. Dandy surfing was the best moment of the War of Undies and Vest episode. But while the surfing scene was a save from a less than interesting episode, the surfing scene here was the perfect climax. Even knowing about the Reset Button, I did care if Dandy succeeded.

It's strange to feel this good about a Space Dandy episode. For most of Season 1, it's quality seemed to be shaky. It didn't seem to know what type of humor it wants, it's genres was all over the place, and the humor was give and take. And most rarely got to the level of Cowboy Bebop good. This episode manages to reach that level in the second half, being consistent in quality throughout. There wasn't any groan worthy moments, i wasn't bored, and the humor was pretty funny.

Maybe like IGPX, Space Dandy finally gotten it's stride in its second season. I hope this is the case, because Dandy does have plenty of talent and potential.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Hypeathon is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    That's when the episode really got good for me, when Ukulele Man shows his true self. Up to that point, it just seemed like typical Dandy shenanigans. Then we get this tossed at us, and it shocks us into the story. It's such a dark, stark turn that I don't think any of us expected. More so with Dandy's reaction - considering in previous episodes he used QT as a shield, his own desire to save them was surprising.
    One little thing worth noting is that Hope Chapman on Twitter sometimes points out who written or directed which episodes of the show. In this episode, Keiko Nobumoto wrote the script, who also wrote the script for episode 8 of the show (the one with the dog).

Spoiler:

She's also known for writing a bunch of episodes of Cowboy Bebop, including the last two, and was the original creator of Wolf's Rain. So, yeah. Kinda gives you a sense of what kind of direction and tone she would go with writing which episodes she writes for this show.

It's strange to feel this good about a Space Dandy episode. For most of Season 1, it's quality seemed to be shaky. It didn't seem to know what type of humor it wants, it's genres was all over the place, and the humor was give and take
    It's stupid humor (not stupid as in bad though). To.... I don't want to say, "fully understand", the humor because that implies there's something deeper to the show than there really is. But rather you have to been into the kind of humor it's presenting and probably one good way to put the humor is if you took the general idea of Cowboy Bebop but sillier like Futurama and dumber like an Adult Swim comedy show. Like imagine the interactivity and shenanigans in Aqua Teen or Metalocalypse or something stir into into a pot and you get... Space... Dandy... yeah.

Or something along those lines. Point is, as I've said once before in a previous Space Dandy Talkback thread, how you feel about the humor in this show might very much depend on how you feel about the humor in some Adult Swim animated comedy shows.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    The episode certainly got more interesting at that point. Despite being a creepy puppet, I didn't think that Ukulele Man would become that villainous or that he could kill people with his music. It's a surprising twist, but luckily not too jarring either. Dandy's desire to save them was kind of nice too since they rarely establish a friendship between them in that they care about each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    The episode certainly went into high gear, and only improved greatly with the River of time imagery. Dandy surfing was the best moment of the War of Undies and Vest episode. But while the surfing scene was a save from a less than interesting episode, the surfing scene here was the perfect climax. Even knowing about the Reset Button, I did care if Dandy succeeded.
    The River of time looked great and the surfing scene for the climax worked really well. Because Dandy actually cared about his friends, even claiming that he would never smile again, and wanted to save them, instead of how he has responded to their deaths in previous episodes, I kind of cared if he succeeded too, which is why I also wondered why they didn't show up after Ukulele Man died.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    It's strange to feel this good about a Space Dandy episode. For most of Season 1, it's quality seemed to be shaky. It didn't seem to know what type of humor it wants, it's genres was all over the place, and the humor was give and take. And most rarely got to the level of Cowboy Bebop good. This episode manages to reach that level in the second half, being consistent in quality throughout. There wasn't any groan worthy moments, i wasn't bored, and the humor was pretty funny.

Maybe like IGPX, Space Dandy finally gotten it's stride in its second season. I hope this is the case, because Dandy does have plenty of talent and potential.
    I can't really say if it got to Cowboy Bebop levels due to how I still haven't seen that series yet, but I agree that season one's quality was kind of shaky. Humor wise, it was pretty hit or miss for me, and the genres were all over the place, but I thought that most of the emotional/dramatic scenes/episodes worked. While I don't think this episode was as good as the premiere, it was still pretty decent and did get more interesting in the second half. Finding its stride in its second season would certainly be nice since the series does have potential, a bunch of talent and the season opener was surprisingly good.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345