Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Gatomon41 is offline Joy To the World!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that this episode was okay. The opening narration felt a bit melodramatic, but it probably also doesn't help that it came out of nowhere. I don't think that Rock has had any narration for quite awhile, so that was kind of strange. Eda's plan made her look pretty awful with manipulating Jane's situation even further in order to get as much money out of her. And despite Revy's reaction to it, she's really not any better than Eda. I'd sill argue that she's just as cold as Eda, if not more so. I also kind of felt bad for Jane because of how manipulative Eda's plan was and how she seemed more like well over her head in this situation more than anything else. Although, I really hated the panty shots. That just comes off as desperate and blatant pandering, but at least she doesn't annoy me like most of the other characters in this show.
    Eda's over the top plan made for great humor though. It's such a plan that is both brilliant and silly - just one thing could go wrong, and it would fall apart. Yet, much to Revy's chagrin it works perfectly.

Also hilarious, Eda's voice actress also voiced Sumeragi in Gundam 00, who was notable for own risky plans.

Jane is pretty adorable, but yeah we didn't need the Multiple Upskirt Images. She a meganeko computer nerd with cute blonde hair from India. You;d think that be enough. Then again, this show isn't subtle about the fanservice, considering Revy, Eda, and even the head of Hotel Moscow.

Edit: Then again, compared to SAO and other recent anime, BL actually better about the fanservice. It's like these days any subtly is now gone.

The action was an improvement over the last few episodes, so that was nice. Making the action less one-sided helped to make it more intense and engaging. Seeing Rock also have to defend himself from that woman with the chainsaw was pretty cool. It also helps if there are characters that you like or at least don't want to see get killed during these fight scenes. Rock blocking the chainsaw attacks was cool, while Revy I think getting a cut from the lady with the swords made me happy because I really don't care about her surviving these fights. And just to clarify, a protagonist does not need to be virtuous for me to care about them in these kinds of situations, but some redeeming quality about them or something interesting about them to make it worth being emotionally invested in them would help. And Revy's so called friendship with Rock does not come off as a redeeming quality to me because of how forced it comes off to me and even if I could believe it, that's not really enough to balance out all of her completely awful traits or make her more tolerable.
    Previously, the fights tended to be one sided because, well, they weren't the focus of the episode. It more or less was a device to show what type of people carrying out these acts. When Revy massacres the Neo-nazis, the focus was on her psychological breakdown. When we see the Twins attacking, it was to demonstrate how messed up they were. Hotel Moscow taking out Hansel reflected who they were.

Here, the fight is the focus - Rock and Jane trying to survive an all-out attack from Team Fortress 2. And that's not an exaggeration - the team sent to take out Jane is as over the top and colorful as that game. They bring chainsaws, miniguns, flamethrowes, and Kukri's to do the job. Had it not just been Eda and Revy there, they probably would have succeeded. It so much fun to see the chase happen, full of humor and irony.

Dutch's comment that he's seen the city affecting Rock and Benny was kind of weird mainly because I don't really see how it affected Benny. But Benny barely has any presence in this city anyway. The city affecting Rock, on the other hand, I can definitely see a bit of that at least. Overall, the episode was okay. The action was pretty good at least due to not being so one-sided, so that was an improvement over the last few actions bits in the past few episodes.
    If the preview is any indication, we may see how Benny is affected by the Ronapur.
    Last edited by Gatomon41; 07-15-2014 at 02:47 AM.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    Eda's over the top plan made for great humor though. It's such a plan that is both brilliant and silly - just one thing could go wrong, and it would fall apart. Yet, much to Revy's chagrin it works perfectly.

Also hilarious, Eda's voice actress also voiced Sumeragi in Gundam 00, who was notable for own risky plans.
    It was obviously risky given it could easily go wrong, which I could see how it could be seen as funny, but I was more focused on how she manipulated Jane's life threatening situation to make it even more desperate for her just so that she can get more money out of her. I've never seen Gundam 00, so I wouldn't be familiar with that character. I haven't seen much of Gundam besides a couple of episodes of G Gundam and I think bits of SEED.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Jane is pretty adorable, but yeah we didn't need the Multiple Upskirt Images. She a meganeko computer nerd with cute blonde hair from India. You;d think that be enough. Then again, this show isn't subtle about the fanservice, considering Revy, Eda, and even the head of Hotel Moscow.
    It feels more out of place with her for some reason. Maybe it's just that I wasn't expecting panty shots for a show like this. Those tend to associated more with harem series rather than in something like Black Lagoon.

Previously, the fights tended to be one sided because, well, they weren't the focus of the episode. It more or less was a device to show what type of people carrying out these acts. When Revy massacres the Neo-nazis, the focus was on her psychological breakdown. When we see the Twins attacking, it was to demonstrate how messed up they were. Hotel Moscow taking out Hansel reflected who they were.

Here, the fight is the focus - Rock and Jane trying to survive an all-out attack from Team Fortress 2. And that's not an exaggeration - the team sent to take out Jane is as over the top and colorful as that game. They bring chainsaws, miniguns, flamethrowes, and Kukri's to do the job. Had it not just been Eda and Revy there, they probably would have succeeded. It so much fun to see the chase happen, full of humor and irony.
    There have been other cases of one-sided action like Revy taking down a couple of boats all by herself I think in the third episode and fighting off against the army group at the end of the first season. Even if it isn't the focus of the episode, they could probably do a better job of making the fights less one-sided. That's one reason why the action tends to feel boring to me. One-sided fights can get pretty boring pretty easily due to the lack of tension if the main character is just blasting away everyone because they're incompetent idiots. It can work for awhile due to being new and exciting, but if that's most of the action of the series, then it will just get tiring, rather than exciting, and it makes Revy's skills less impressive if she's almost always up against idiots who can't shoot or aim to save their lives.

The action here, as well as in the Roberta arc, work better because there is more of a struggle and isn't as one-sided. Revy isn't easily able to blow away all of the other killers to get away like she normally does. Even though I really don't care about her in the slightest, the struggle makes the conflict and action more engaging because of how everyone is struggling to get what they want. It's more fun to watch something like that than seeing Revy shoot at a bunch of soldiers while some guy drives away while completely high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Otaku Jock View Post
    (snip)

She's also Sango from Inuyasha and Ukyo from Ranma, so those automatically cancels out any bad roles to me.
    Well, Louise in Gundam 00 isn't a bad character or role, in fact I consider it a good performance.

It just... let's just say the character of Louise did something that still makes me .

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

J'onn J'onzz is offline Best Male Member '08
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't really like this show. I think I even prefer Blue Exorcist to it, and Blue Exorcist is very mediocre. This arc isn't as bad as the vampire twins arc, which was really disgusting, but this one is pretty bad too. What's with all the upskirt shots of Jane? Between the last couple episodes we've had at least a half dozen.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J'onn J'onzz View Post
    I don't really like this show. I think I even prefer Blue Exorcist to it, and Blue Exorcist is very mediocre. This arc isn't as bad as the vampire twins arc, which was really disgusting, but this one is pretty bad too. What's with all the upskirt shots of Jane? Between the last couple episodes we've had at least a half dozen.
    I feel the same. I really don't like this show. I think that it's pretty bad, although overrated might be a more fitting description for it. I'd actually prefer Blue Exorcist over this as well, even though that series is pretty mediocre and wastes its basic premise. The twins arc was the worst thing about this series thus far and I really don't think the series could recover after that disgusting and terribly written arc for me. This current arc at least has better action, but the unnecessary panty shots of Jane and most of the lead characters still being unlikable and horrible people still brings it down for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I feel the same. I really don't like this show. I think that it's pretty bad, although overrated might be a more fitting description for it. I'd actually prefer Blue Exorcist over this as well, even though that series is pretty mediocre and wastes its basic premise. The twins arc was the worst thing about this series thus far and I really don't think the series could recover after that disgusting and terribly written arc for me. This current arc at least has better action, but the unnecessary panty shots of Jane and most of the lead characters still being unlikable and horrible people still brings it down for me.
    I'm going have to disagree. Yeah, the last arc was very questionable, but that's more due to the content. The animation, writing, and world is far more entertaining than Blue Exorcist.

Then again, the vast majority of them are jerks - which can easily lead to apathy. This is a legitimate criticism. It's the reason why I can't stand the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. I barely tolerated the new Battlestar Galatica because everyone but three characters were jerks.

Actually, I think nBSG'S Characters are far, far more worse than Black Lagoon's. Maybe that's why I don't think Revy is a monster - the "heroes" of that show makes Revy look good.

” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I'm going have to disagree. Yeah, the last arc was very questionable, but that's more due to the content. The animation, writing, and world is far more entertaining than Blue Exorcist.
    The content of the last arc was pretty bad, but so was the writing in my opinion. It tackled some serious issues that a show like Black Lagoon really shouldn't have event touched upon and it all came off as trying to make something really dark simply for shock value more than anything else. Aside from a few episodes and arcs, I haven't found the writing to be that good. The world in this series is more interesting and it does have more frequent action scenes, but in terms of entertainment value, Blue Exorcist wins out for me. At least there a couple of characters that I like in that series, the main lead isn't a completely horrible person with no redeeming qualities and it doesn't try to incorporate serious topics like child slavery. Plus, a good portion of the slice of life elements work pretty well and it does get pretty interesting when they focus more on the demon hunting/exorcist training stuff.

Then again, the vast majority of them are jerks - which can easily lead to apathy. This is a legitimate criticism. It's the reason why I can't stand the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. I barely tolerated the new Battlestar Galatica because everyone but three characters were jerks.

Actually, I think nBSG'S Characters are far, far more worse than Black Lagoon's. Maybe that's why I don't think Revy is a monster - the "heroes" of that show makes Revy look good.
    I haven't seen either series, although I've heard of how the characters in Game of Thrones do awful things, but even if I had, I doubt that would significantly change my opinion on Revy. Maybe I could say that she isn't as bad as the other characters by comparison, but that wouldn't change that she is an unlikable and downright terrible person. If she was more likable or even just tolerable, I'd probably be able to enjoy the show more along the lines of a popcorn action movie, or at least I think that would be more of a possibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, Louise in Gundam 00 isn't a bad character or role, in fact I consider it a good performance.

It just... let's just say the character of Louise did something that still makes me .
    I think you and I can both talk about our disdain for Gundam 00...god it felt like I was powering my way through that show at times for all the worst reasons. I didn't mean to imply it was a bad role for Kelly Sheridan, I just disliked both the show and the character at a certain point.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567