Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    You do realize that Blue Exorcist has done no research on the Church. I was laughing at how bad it is. Seriously, always calling it The Vatican is like calling America "The White House" all the time. And that's just one of the smaller issues I have with this show. Also, I can explain that the Medevial Inquestion was the ones who came up with the idea of "Due Process" which is still being used.

I can go on - the fact is Blue Exorcist is not an accurate representation of the Catholic Church.

Or an accurate representation of reality.
    But they're using the phrase "the Vatican" to refer to the Church's leadership, right? Not the entire church. That's a very common phrase and not inappropriate at all. If you were referring to America's executive leadership, you'd say "The White House".

JTurner954 is offline Paradigm City, USA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm asking this in the nicest, most non-insulting way I can:

In Blue Exorcist, how many exorcisms have there been?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Compatriots,

i recall hearing about the secret garden or seeing those other plant spirits. i don't which parts are anime only and which were briefly mentioned in the manga so i will have to read it to find out. i'm guessing rin and yukios mother secretly handed them to shiro sometime before she was burned alive. also i think the guy with the patch and his wife might still be alive and those branches just prevented the exorcists from going after them.

i wonder how yukios grandfather plans on taking the fight to the demons. maybe all the exorcist will enter a gate to gahanna and try to surprise attack satan.

Gatomon41 is offline Joy To the World!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that this episode was pretty good. Getting a bit more information about Yukio and Rin's grandfather and mother was interesting. Although, trying to kill their mother as a witch when she was pregnant made me wonder how they were born, but maybe I misunderstood the wording in that part of the detail. I thought that the wife actually being a corpse controlled by a demon was an interesting twist. It made her motives more sympathetic, especially since she probably remembered being burned alive and the shock of realizing that she had already died would be a lot on her psychologically as well. It was more interesting than I initially thought it would be at least.
    Yeah, for filler material... this is pretty good stuff. We don't know if the Grandfather is really telling the whole truth, or if he's painting a picture to make it seem far more harsh the reality is. Again, we don't quite know (though the mask seems to indicate "Evil"). Not-Takano having conflicted by these confusing memories made for neat ambiguity, as was her husbands own issues. How would one go about dealing with such difficult issues? The answers are not easy, nor is there a clear solution.

Shiemi treating her and instantly wanting to be her friend once she talked about the special garden was kind of nice. I was kind of confused if they brought up this secret garden that Shiemi's grandmother left to her before, but then I remembered that this was anime-only content. Still, the fact that Shiemi was willing to protect the woman from Rin, even after she threatened to kill her was kind of nice. Arthur was really coming off as an even bigger jerk when he charged in like that, although I wasn't sure who shot the woman. I was also confused as to what the giant ball of vines meant, but I imagine that means that they're going to die together this time instead. While I'm sure that the grandfather taking control probably means that he's a villain, he doesn't look much worse than Arthur right now, but at least it's a fairly interesting twist. Overall, it was a pretty good episode with some nice twists and moments for some of the characters.
    Nice to see Shiemi in her kimono again. It suits her much better than the school uniform. Sorry fanservice, you lose this one. Despite her flaws, Shimei is just so adorable and kind... and voiced Azunyan. And the fact that she's willing to stand up to Rin a bit to save a woman she just met speak volumes about her. She's is rather naive, but at the same time compassionate and brave. Against the unknown, she's willing to risk herself to help the wife.

Blue Exorcist, or all it's problems, still manages to stand out by not having badly paced episodes. For a school anime, this is entertaining. I'd take this anyday over what we're dealing with in Shippuden on Toonami now, or the filler arc that just got done on Bleach.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Yeah, for filler material... this is pretty good stuff. We don't know if the Grandfather is really telling the whole truth, or if he's painting a picture to make it seem far more harsh the reality is. Again, we don't quite know (though the mask seems to indicate "Evil"). Not-Takano having conflicted by these confusing memories made for neat ambiguity, as was her husbands own issues. How would one go about dealing with such difficult issues? The answers are not easy, nor is there a clear solution.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the grandfather turned out to be evil. The whole taking over their organization with the intent of killing all demons once kind of gives the impression that he'll turn out to be evil, especially if his plans someone involve trying to kill Rin. They handled the issues with Takano and her husband pretty well all things considered. I'm still guessing that they're just going to die together, unless they reappear later, but that honestly would be a good enough ending for them. Michelle was about to die again and Neuhaus dying with her so that they wouldn't be separated again would be rather fitting when he was already full of grief after losing her the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41=
    Nice to see Shiemi in her kimono again. It suits her much better than the school uniform. Sorry fanservice, you lose this one. Despite her flaws, Shimei is just so adorable and kind... and voiced Azunyan. And the fact that she's willing to stand up to Rin a bit to save a woman she just met speak volumes about her. She's is rather naive, but at the same time compassionate and brave. Against the unknown, she's willing to risk herself to help the wife.
    Yeah, Shiemi looks so much better in her kimono and using her as fanservice really doesn't work, although I think that they didn't do it so much after the first episode where she started wearing the school uniform. Shiemi is pretty likable. She's shy and nervous when it comes to interacting with most other people, but if someone is injured or in trouble, she'll do what she can to help them, which makes her pretty likeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Blue Exorcist, or all it's problems, still manages to stand out by not having badly paced episodes. For a school anime, this is entertaining. I'd take this anyday over what we're dealing with in Shippuden on Toonami now, or the filler arc that just got done on Bleach.
    Despite most of the characters not being that interesting and the basic premise feeling kind of wasted, the show is surprisingly decent. Some of the slice of life stuff works and it does become more interesting when it focuses more on the demon killing/exorcist training aspect of the show. I have the TV on while Bleach and Shippuden are airing as I wait for the other shows, but I don't pay much attention to either of them since I really don't care enough about either series to start following them at this point. To be perfectly honestly, I'd take this show over Black Lagoon. At least I tend to be more entertained by this show than I am with Black Lagoon due to its own problems.

J'onn J'onzz is offline Best Male Member '08
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTurner954 View Post
    I'm asking this in the nicest, most non-insulting way I can:

In Blue Exorcist, how many exorcisms have there been?
    In some of the early episodes they read bible verses to defeat demons. There was the episode where they had to read all of Genesis to defeat some demon. But those episodes weren't very good. The show still isn't very good, but at least in the recent filler episodes Rin uses his sword and flames more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    But they're using the phrase "the Vatican" to refer to the Church's leadership, right? Not the entire church. That's a very common phrase and not inappropriate at all. If you were referring to America's executive leadership, you'd say "The White House".
    They use the term so much, it's almost hard to say what they're talking about. How about mention specifically who you work for, or what branch, instead of using a generic term.

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They use the term so much, it's almost hard to say what they're talking about. How about mention specifically who you work for, or what branch, instead of using a generic term.
    It's still a very common parlance when referring to church leadership in general, so it's definitely not a case of "poor research" on the writers' part. Otherwise you'd have to say pretty much any movie or TV show that has The Vatican as a story element (and pretty much any news broadcast talking about it) is guilty of poor research, because they all use the term.

Also I'd like to say that I'm liking this show a lot more than I thought I would. It works a lot better as a high school comedy than as a fantasy/action show. But I really like the character interactions, which seem a lot more natural than most and not just full of tropes.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Also I'd like to say that I'm liking this show a lot more than I thought I would. It works a lot better as a high school comedy than as a fantasy/action show. But I really like the character interactions, which seem a lot more natural than most and not just full of tropes.
    I kind of prefer the fantasy element, or at least I think the show is more interesting when it focuses more on that than during most of the high school stuff, but some of the slice of life elements works pretty well and some of the character interactions are quite nice. If the show had tried to go for a better balance between the two aspects, it would probably be a better and more interesting show as a result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's still a very common parlance when referring to church leadership in general, so it's definitely not a case of "poor research" on the writers' part. Otherwise you'd have to say pretty much any movie or TV show that has The Vatican as a story element (and pretty much any news broadcast talking about it) is guilty of poor research, because they all use the term.
    It's one thing just to use it a couple times... but to make no reference to a specific position or office. I half wonder if The Knights of The True Cross is really taking orders from the janitor. The generic reference just raises more questions about True Cross: Who runs it? Which Office oversees it? Why are they blatantly violating canon law? Why isn't someone in the Office for the Propagation of the Faith not cracking down on them? If they're not officially sanctioned, then why are they still saying they get their authority from the Vatican?

These are sort of important issues if they're going to take the show into internal affairs here.

” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234