toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Dogasu is offline Rubber ducks kill babies?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why does everyone like the Bebop dub?

Like This Thread!
    *puts up flame shield*

I have a question for you guys--what is it about the Cowboy Bebop dub that everyone loves so much? I mean, I read all these comments about how it's the best dub out there and that it's better than the Japanese version, but I have yet to see that.

I guess I should explain myself by looking at each character. OK, so first up is Spike. In the dub, Spike's voice actor is the same guy who did Roger Smith on the Big O, right? Yet these two very different characters have the exact same voice!!! Doesn't anyone else see the problem with that???

Roger Smith has a very fitting voice in the dub. He's a Bruce Wayne-like rich playboy. And quite frankly, he's a bit of a flat character (hey, Batman's a pretty one-dimensional character also). Usually he's set in his one fixed emotion ("the calm negotiator"), but sometimes he gets angry and yells. But other than that, that's about it. That's about the only sides of Roger Smith we get to see.

On the other hand, Spike is a totally different character. He can be the cool and confident bounty hunter one minute, the goofy victim of a prank the next minute, a pissed-off guy the next, and a sad and mournful guy after that. Spike obviously has a wide range of emotions, a range that doesn't fit with the Roger Smith voice. The Japanese voice actor has a huge range, while the American one doesn't. Spike is really too calm in the dub, isn't goofy enough when he needs to be, and is overall pretty flat.

I realize that The Big O was dubbed AFTER Cowboy Bebop, but the truth is is that the Roger Smith voice just doesn't fit Spike Spiegel. It just doesn't.

Faye is the same way. The Japanese voice actress perfectly portrays Faye's many sides--sneakiness, her sexiness, satisfaction at a job well-done, anger, etc. The dub Faye just goes around with this overly "I'm sexy" voice that may be fine some of the time, but doesn't fit in in all the scenes. In the episode where she finds the video tape of herself (after Spike has to hunt down a VCR), the Japanese seiyuu really makes you feel sorry for Faye. In the dub, some of that sadness gets through, but most of it is lost by the actor's small vocal range.

Jet's actually OK, and I have no real quarrels with him. But Ed...

Ed is toned down waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much in the dub. She's not the hyper/cute little kid, but is instead this obnoxious little girl who just WON'T STOP TALKING!!! And people say "well, you can't really get the uber-high-pitched voice that the Japanese seiyuu got." Sure you can. Just look at Chibi-Usa (Rini) in Sailor Moon S and Super S. Her dubbed voice actress pulls it off rather well. If she tweaked that voice a bit, it'd be perfect for Ed.

The thing is, we've heard all these voice actors/actresses in a million other dubs, and I don't see why this one stands out so much. Sure it's not horrible by any means, but it just isn't what everyone hails it to be. And it's nowhere close to being better than the Japanese version.
    Owner of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on March 23rd, 2011

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection

These lists were last updated on January 23rd, 2010

BlackJackDeese Guest
    I don't know about everyone else, but the bulk of my exposure to anime has been with such popular as Sailor Moon, DBZ, OLS, Dragon Ball, etc. ...and Cowboy Bebop for whatever reason seems to have EXCELLENT voice acting IMO. The sheer range of emotion delivered by each character is pretty exceptional in comparison to most everything else out there, from the deadpan humor of Jet Black ("Not me, I'm a nice guy...I have a gift for you."), to the smartass meanderings of Spike Spiegel...hell, even Ed cracks me up sometimes (mostly in Toys in the Attic)

OK, so maybe this explanation doesn't really answer any questions, so I'll say this: I like CB's dub because it really is better than anything else I've been exposed to in the realm of animation. Enough said.

Jake is offline Arcadian Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the truth is is that the Roger Smith voice just doesn't fit Spike Spiegel. It just doesn't.
    I don't know what to say, except that I disagree. I think his dub is perfect for the character.

On the other hand, Spike is a totally different character. He can be the cool and confident bounty hunter one minute, the goofy victim of a prank the next minute, a pissed-off guy the next, and a sad and mournful guy after that. Spike obviously has a wide range of emotions, a range that doesn't fit with the Roger Smith voice. The Japanese voice actor has a huge range, while the American one doesn't. Spike is really too calm in the dub, isn't goofy enough when he needs to be, and is overall pretty flat.
    It's realistic. Not everyone shows a huge amount of emotion when they speak. What you described sounds melodramatic.

Meh, everyone has different opinions.
    www.penny-arcade.com

When I grow up, I wanna be a 13 year old girl hacker collecting bounties. -TylerL

Jude Santos is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i like the dub becuase the sub doesnt cut it for me. like the ending for cowboy bebop, when spike says Bang, in the sub, its more like a very sharp Bung
    Life is victory and Death is defeat.

TylerL is offline You're right...it IS easy!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Roger Smith has a very fitting voice in the dub. He's a Bruce Wayne-like rich playboy. And quite frankly, he's a bit of a flat character (hey, Batman's a pretty one-dimensional character also). Usually he's set in his one fixed emotion ("the calm negotiator"), but sometimes he gets angry and yells. But other than that, that's about it. That's about the only sides of Roger Smith we get to see.

On the other hand, Spike is a totally different character. He can be the cool and confident bounty hunter one minute, the goofy victim of a prank the next minute, a pissed-off guy the next, and a sad and mournful guy after that. Spike obviously has a wide range of emotions, a range that doesn't fit with the Roger Smith voice.

Well, David Lucas isn't using Roger Smith's voice!
    A voice actor isn't usually limited to one specific voice.
    David Lucas has a very wide range of vocal capabilities, and uses them well in Cowboy Bebop. He's been semi-happy, bored, extremely angry, and everything in between.

It isn't odd for a voice actor in America *or Japan* to work on multiple series.

Ed is toned down waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much in the dub. She's not the hyper/cute little kid, but is instead this obnoxious little girl who just WON'T STOP TALKING!!! And people say "well, you can't really get the uber-high-pitched voice that the Japanese seiyuu got." Sure you can. Just look at Chibi-Usa (Rini) in Sailor Moon S and Super S. Her dubbed voice actress pulls it off rather well. If she tweaked that voice a bit, it'd be perfect for Ed.

...But keep in mind that Rini is a much younger character than Ed. About 5 years difference.
    ASF loves you...in a purely sexual, non-platonic way.
    Download Adult Swim promos and intros at ASF.

Mackenzie Rainelle is offline Anime Psychoanalyst
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the thing that's impressive about the english dub is that it seems so low-key, so casual. It's as if the actors just seem to fall into the characters' voices, not really having to do much acting at all to get the right combination of vocal inflection and tone quality. That's a very rare thing in a dub.
    "Adults are just obsolete children, and the hell with them."
    ~Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Geisel

Jake is offline Arcadian Legend
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree completely. They didn't go ever the top and end up ruining it.
    www.penny-arcade.com

When I grow up, I wanna be a 13 year old girl hacker collecting bounties. -TylerL

Koggit is offline 0_o
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The only think I can say I don't like about the dub, is I miss Jet's "Ehhh.. Spikuh.."

Evil Dr. Reef is offline The King of Braves
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What about Andy's "Okeeeeee Dokeeeee"?

God, I love Engrish.

randomguy is offline Came, liked Ike, and left.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the English Dub. For one thing, Cowboy Bebop seems like such a western series that it makes more sense for it to be in English, and for another, I prefer to watch my anime, not read it. I'll make an exception for shows where the dub is really bad, but in most cases, I'd much rather not have to read while watching a show.
    "So pray for peace until you're hoarse, and maybe fear will run its course.
    May God forgive us our insanity, and we'll keep pressing on."
    -Rodney Crowell, "We Can't Turn Back" (randomguy's song sig. #68)
    randomguy has ridden off into the TZ sunset. Details here. Follow his daily non-adventures at his MySpace blog.
    Texas 4000: randomguy and 42 other UT students bike to Alaska for cancer research. More info at link. View my rider's journal here.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast