Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    JShaggy is offline Waiting for Season 2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    Had no idea this was a two-parter. Was so angry when the melancholy music drifted in.
    Three, actually (thank you, Kitschensyngk). I had completely forgotten about this episode from the first time I watched the series.

Toonzone Anime of the Month Club | Archives
    This month: Descendants of Darkness

TZ Blog
    | YouTube Channel

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I thought that this episode was pretty good. Going back and fourth between the flashback in WWII and the present in the first half worked pretty nicely. I wasn't sure if the crew members in that submarines were Nazis. but the scene where they realized that they'd die was quite effective. You could feel the despair and emotional tension during those moments. Revy's comment on how collecting Nazi art was a messed up hobby was pretty funny though.

I also should have expected neo-Nazis to show up after they went through a whole flashback to explain why they'd be going down to that sub instead of just having them explain it shortly before Revy and Rock went down there. Attacking them over a painting seemed really strange, but these are Neo-Nazis and most likely cartoonishly evil. Overall, I thought that the episode was pretty good. The flashback was handled well and it does a good job setting up the conflict for the next couple of episodes.

Gatomon41 is offline Joy To the World!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that this episode was pretty good. Going back and fourth between the flashback in WWII and the present in the first half worked pretty nicely. I wasn't sure if the crew members in that submarines were Nazis. but the scene where they realized that they'd die was quite effective. You could feel the despair and emotional tension during those moments. Revy's comment on how collecting Nazi art was a messed up hobby was pretty funny though.
    How bluntly Revy stated it made it all the more hilarious

A bit of a historical lesson - the Wehrmacht (the German armed forces during WWII) is a bit complicated. Because it was under the command of the Nazi's, there was plenty of ideological influence and also committed war crimes. However, not everyone in the Wehrmacht agreed with the Nazis, and there was resistance against Hitler within (the most well known being Stauffenberg's attempted assassination plot).

If the comments from the Captain was any indication, he was one of the officers who did not follow the Nazi ideology. So it comes of a surprise to some that he still was willing to carry out his mission to the end. It begs the question - Why?

The answer we get is that he wanted to defend his family. He wasn't fighting for a dictatorship or power - his goal was to save his homeland for his wife and children. Does it make him a good guy? No, but it's understandable - people tolerate the bad when there is greater urgency. Who can fault someone for being loyal to their kin?

It does tie in with another topic, the one the Captain asks the SS guy: Was the War a hopeless one? Was all that they did to fight was pointless?

Being in the present, we can certainly know that the Axis powers were the aggressors and committed many atrocities. Still, it's rather heartbreaking to tell someone like the Captain that his cause was a lost one. He fought to save his family, and the tragedy is that even with that good intention, he was fighting a for an evil cause.

I also should have expected neo-Nazis to show up after they went through a whole flashback to explain why they'd be going down to that sub instead of just having them explain it shortly before Revy and Rock went down there. Attacking them over a painting seemed really strange, but these are Neo-Nazis and most likely cartoonishly evil. Overall, I thought that the episode was pretty good. The flashback was handled well and it does a good job setting up the conflict for the next couple of episodes.
    Yeah, using anti-tank missiles against a single boat and having a leader right out of The Blues Brothers certainly cements the image of cartoonish.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Social justice cannot be attained by violence. Violence kills what it intends to create.
    ” - St. John Paul II

Pro vita quad spes.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    How bluntly Revy stated it made it all the more hilarious
    It definitely does.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    A bit of a historical lesson - the Wehrmacht (the German armed forces during WWII) is a bit complicated. Because it was under the command of the Nazi's, there was plenty of ideological influence and also committed war crimes. However, not everyone in the Wehrmacht agreed with the Nazis, and there was resistance against Hitler within (the most well known being Stauffenberg's attempted assassination plot).

If the comments from the Captain was any indication, he was one of the officers who did not follow the Nazi ideology. So it comes of a surprise to some that he still was willing to carry out his mission to the end. It begs the question - Why?

The answer we get is that he wanted to defend his family. He wasn't fighting for a dictatorship or power - his goal was to save his homeland for his wife and children. Does it make him a good guy? No, but it's understandable - people tolerate the bad when there is greater urgency. Who can fault someone for being loyal to their kin?

It does tie in with another topic, the one the Captain asks the SS guy: Was the War a hopeless one? Was all that they did to fight was pointless?

Being in the present, we can certainly know that the Axis powers were the aggressors and committed many atrocities. Still, it's rather heartbreaking to tell someone like the Captain that his cause was a lost one. He fought to save his family, and the tragedy is that even with that good intention, he was fighting a for an evil cause.
    I think I remember the resistance against Hitler from within. It has been awhile since I studied WWII history though. It didn't sound like the captain followed the Nazi ideology, which was probably why I was confused at first if he and his crew members were Nazis. Wanting to protect his family was a more noble reason for fighting than I think is usually associated with Nazi soldiers. It still doesn't make him a good person since, as you mentioned, he was still fighting for a terrible cause, even with his good intentions, but it gave him a bit more layers than one would normally expect from a Nazi soldier. The despair when he was told that he was fighting for a lost cause and when he told the crew that they would die in the sub was pulled off pretty effectively.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345