toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

C&C - Black Lagoon - "The Black Lagoon" [3/22] [SERIES PREMIERE]

Like This Thread!

They make her violate them. No matter who they are.

"Mild-mannered Rokuro's business trip to South East Asia takes an unexpected turn when he's taken hostage by modern-day pirates Revy, Dutch, and Benny."

OP: Red Fraction
    ED: Don't Look Behind

Hoo boy! The show I thought was NEVER coming to Toonami has arrived! The next 24 weeks (give or take movies) are going to be one hell of a ride.

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My body is ready.

JShaggy is offline Happy People
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The most expletive-laced thing since Scarface debuts tonight. Can't wait.

TnAdct1 is offline I WANT MY MEWTWO!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just a reminder: this show was dubbed in Canada.
    Spoiler:
    Hence, don't be surprised if the characters sound like something out of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also this is done by the same studio that did Monster, so don't be surprised if some of these characters remind me of characters from Monster.

Nobodyman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    Also this is done by the same studio that did Monster, so don't be surprised if some of these characters remind me of characters from Monster.
    Why would these characters remind you of characters from Monster? Yes, Madhouse produced both series, but they're two different adaptations from two totally different manga from two totally different authors.

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Why would these characters remind you of characters from Monster? Yes, Madhouse produced both series, but they're two different adaptations from two totally different manga from two totally different authors.
    Well I already saw the first episode and
    Spoiler:

And Balalaika reminded of Eva.

But that is just my opinion, and more talking about looks than anythng else.

Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

A Foreword by Kitschensyngk

Do you like action?

Do you like mayhem?

Do you like sexy girls with guns?

Have we got a show for you.

Welcome to Black Lagoon, one of the most outrageous Japanese imports ever made. Based on the manga created by Rei Hiroe as a tribute to violent action movies of the 80s and 90s, and dubbed by a cavalcade of Canadian voice acting all-stars (Death Note, Inuyasha, Gundam 00...you might even hear bits of Hamtaro here and there) Black Lagoon tells the gritty tale of a city of sin, a gang of cutthroat pirates, and a browbeaten wage slave in the wrong place at the wrong time.

You will probably never find a more perfect series for Adult Swim's reboot of Toonami. If you've complained about how much shounen action has been on the block in recent months, then this show should satisfy your more mature tastes. If you enjoy the tenacity of a John Woo film, the grittiness of a Quentin Tarantino movie, or the over-the-top action scenes of the works of Robert Rodriguez, then you are in for quite a treat. Everybody else…think of this show as a version of Cowboy Bebop in which Jet Black really IS black, Spike is a dork, Faye is a nihilist, and Ed is a dude with a ponytail.

To those among us who are seeing this for the first time, there are some things it would do you good to know:

There is quite a bit of violence in this series, at least one instance per episode. Nothing to the extremes of Elfen Leid or Deadman Wonderland (until we get to the Hansel and Gretel episodes, and even THEN most of it is off-screen) but otherwise most of it is just extensive gunplay. (The OAV season, on the other hand...)

You will meet an interesting cross-section of the scum of the Earth in each arc. Jihadists, neo-Nazis, Chinese triad members, the Italian and Russian mafias, the yakuza--they're all here.

Everybody has a weapon. EVERYBODY. EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED.

Hopefully the edits will be minimal. I have never seen this dubbed but I'm not too worried about language edits since they've been more lax these days what with
    Blue Exorcist, Rick & Morty and China, IL dropping S-bombs unbleeped. Just in case, something you can do is to watch this video after each episode and then mentally fill in the blanks.

That said...fasten your seat belts, enjoy the ride, and please remain seated until the program has come to a complete stop.

Last edited by Kitschensyngk; 03-23-2014 at 12:52 AM.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: The Wizard of Speed and Time
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to admit for an Ocean show (which tends to be more restrained in strong language) my jaw dropped when I heard expletives being dropped left and right. Tonight we're going to have a bleep fest comparable to when Deadman Wonderland aired.
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast