toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toonami Midnight Run Memories?

Like This Thread!
    I keep having thoughts and memories that keep come flooding back to me (as of lately) about the late-night weeknight block that Toonami had aired from early 2000 through January 2003, and I couldn't forget about the original TMR that aired in 1999 to 2000 sometime, with TOM1.

Questions:
    Did you watch Midnight Run every night it was on? Or occasionally? If so, what was your favorite Midnight Run schedule? What did/do you remember about it, or like about it?

Back to the point: it seems as if everyone I know who talks about TMR, they always had to sneak downstairs, living room, the basement, or whatever, just to watch it, so that their parents wouldn't find out. Or they had elementary school in the morning, and they didn't care if they were tired the next day, so they had told their friends of what they seen or watched last night. However I rarely know people who were old enough to be up and watch it.

That is all.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    This is more fitting for the Adult Swim/Toonami section, so I'll move it there.

As for the question at hand, I remember seeing some of Sailor Moon on the Midnight Run. I might have seen some other shows on that block, but seeing a couple of Sailor Moon episodes before I went to sleep is the most vivid memory I have of the Midnight Run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i forgot that Sailor Moon was even on the Saturday night TMR. However I heard that there was a public outcry to broadcast Sailor Moon on the daily Midnight Run... and yeah, it never happened obviously....
    Last edited by Joshua Dierickx; 03-16-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Gatomon41 is offline Deo confidimus.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I so wanted to stay up and watch this - anime, at midnight, on Cartoon Network?!

Alas, my Dad was watching TV at the time, and the one chance I want to see it, my brother wanted to watch Legend on the Sci-Fi Channel.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.” - Salvor Hardin, Asimov's Foundation.

Pro vita quad spes.

Kitschensyngk is online now wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Midnight Run Special Edition formally introduced me to Gorillaz.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: The Wizard of Speed and Time
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    I so wanted to stay up and watch this - anime, at midnight, on Cartoon Network?!

Alas, my Dad was watching TV at the time, and the one chance I want to see it, my brother wanted to watch Legend on the Sci-Fi Channel.
    Midnight Run was the best block that Cartoon Network and Toonami had offered; I thought it was better than the weekday afternoon counterpart (just my opinion). And yes, I was one of those who had snuck downstairs or in the basement to watch it. Good times. I only got caught 1-2, maybe 3 times, by my parents.

Well, where I lived, it was from 11pm-Midnight, but whatever. Yes Cartoon Network had on anime for an hour, and then it had went went back to normal Cartoon Network programming. (P.S. just anime! It was during the "Anime Boom," that might be why.)

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was in middle school-beginning of high school when the Midnight Run was on. I didn't really get to stay up much to watch it, unfortunately. It was on too late and I had to get up the next morning(my parents were strict about this). However, there were a couple times I was able to do it(either I was up late due to working on a school project or I snuck to watch some TV) and I do remember watching an episode or two of uncut Gundam Wing which was mindblowing for me at the time. Most of the time, if there was something I wanted to watch, I would set my VCR to record it. That's how I was able to watch the 08th MS Team.

Sometimes I miss it, but the spirit of the block is with Toonami right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
    I was in middle school-beginning of high school when the Midnight Run was on. I didn't really get to stay up much to watch it, unfortunately. It was on too late and I had to get up the next morning(my parents were strict about this). However, there were a couple times I was able to do it(either I was up late due to working on a school project or I snuck to watch some TV) and I do remember watching an episode or two of uncut Gundam Wing which was mindblowing for me at the time. Most of the time, if there was something I wanted to watch, I would set my VCR to record it. That's how I was able to watch the 08th MS Team.

Sometimes I miss it, but the spirit of the block is with Toonami right now.
    Nice, man. It sucks that I didn't record any of it.... if I did, it was too late to do so. I recorded some DBZ and Outlaw Star, if I believe so.

However I was in elementary school when Midnight Run had first premiered, and my parents didn't know that I was staying up late to watch such a thing. The next day, I would tell my friends at school about it in class or at lunch about what I saw, and they saw it, too. I was just like you "mindblowing." The reason why it was mindblowing was because I had the ability to see something late at night. I rarely got the permission to do so from my parents, it was nice. However on Fridays, I got to because it was the start of the weekend, and CCF was on. It was a great day indeed.

The Man in Black is offline I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dierickx View Post
    (P.S. just anime! It was during the "Anime Boom," that might be why.)
    G.I. Joe.

And yeah I tended to either watch and then fall asleep or fall asleep during DBZ/Dragonball reruns on the Midnight Run which later turned into Adult Swim Weeknights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man in Black View Post
    G.I. Joe.

And yeah I tended to either watch and then fall asleep or fall asleep during DBZ/Dragonball reruns on the Midnight Run which later turned into Adult Swim Weeknights.
    I forgot about G.I. Joe was even on TMR for a second.

The final lineup was:
    Midnight: G Gundam
    12:30am - G.I. Joe

Am I right on that schedule? The final schedule for the Midnight Run...

However, the DBZ/DB line-up was great because I got to see reruns that I missed during the weekday afternoons, or new episodes that they had aired there as well. Eh, Adult Swim didn't get weekdays completely until spring 2003, and Adult Swim didn't claim Fridays as their own until 2008.... so yeah... Adult Swim weeknights is what killed Cartoon Network's late night programming, but whatever. I do wish that the Midnight Run would be back since 2003 but it will never happen again just like weekday cartoons... we can only have memories to talk about forever.
    Last edited by Joshua Dierickx; 03-18-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast