toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jazz1000 is offline Playing it Cool, bro!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Adult Swim Greenlights Boondock's Creator "Black Jesus"

Like This Thread!
    Adult Swim Greenlights Black Jesus Series from Boondocks Creator - IGN
    From non sequitur farces Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Childrens Hospital to satirical animated comedies Moral Orel and The Boondocks, Adult Swim has become a haven for experimental and controversial programming. Now, Cartoon Network's late-night programming block is adding another controversial piece to its bizarre menagerie.
    Adult Swim announced Monday that they are greenlighting Black Jesus, a new half-hour live-action series from Aaron McGruder, the acclaimed creator of the aforementioned Boondocks. The show finds Jesus living in present day Compton, CA, on a daily mission to spread love and kindness throughout the neighborhood with the help of his small but loyal group of downtrodden followers.
    Gerald "Slink" Johnson, who lends his voice to Lamar Davis in Grand Theft Auto 5, will play Black Jesus. Charlie Murphy (Are We There Yet), Corey Holcomb (The Cleveland Show) and John Witherspoon (The Boondocks) will also star.

Black Jesus existed previously as a series of Adult Swim shorts, though they appear to no longer be available online.
    The series, which has already begun production in Los Angeles, will premiere later this year. No word yet on how many episodes have been ordered.
    this looks intersting i might have watch tis once they annoued a date for this

Neo Ultra Mike is online now Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I admit after stuff like Saul of the Mole Men or.... ANYTHING by Tim and Eric, I'm kind of burnt out on Adult Swim action shows. Even those with talent behind them just seem more annoying or dry or random in a not humorous way to be entertaining. Granted I know stuff like Children's Hospital and even Eagleheart is better but I've checked out on that. However, I may wind up actually checking this out. Granted the Boondocks doesn't have the greatest track record but overall it probably swings more hits then it misses and hey at the very least seems like McCruder is making this in tandem with his main series. Or at least having this in production after the latest season of the Boondocks (which if he's making another show with AS and shows he's committed to the network doubt will be the last) and thus it will get some good creator focus. Plus the premise actually seems interesting enough as though we've had takes on Jesus before, I don't think really ever as a star of a show, much less using "Black Jesus". And I'm sure it will be conterversial and tick people off but as long as it's entertaining I don't mind. Just hope it is and isn't just another reminder why I avoid most AS live action shows like the plague.
    Man now I"m up to 7,000+ posts. Hard to believe it took me 8 something years to get that many. How long will it take me to get another thousand? Guess you're going to have to keep reading what I have to say to find out.... I hope you've been doing that anyway as I feed off the attention.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    A new live action program and the same guy who hijacked the persona of Martin Luther King to get on a soapbox doing Jesus Christ. That's two strikes and enough for me. I'll be very content to ignore this until it goes away.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

SaneMan is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    A new live action program and the same guy who hijacked the persona of Martin Luther King to get on a soapbox doing Jesus Christ. That's two strikes and enough for me. I'll be very content to ignore this until it goes away.
    You know what they say, some anvils need to be dropped

Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaneMan View Post
    You know what they say, some anvils need to be dropped
    What'd Jesus ever do to him?
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's a war on the media and Trawn and company are caught in the middle in Part 2 of a brand-new Electric Wonderland incident! Aren't you glad real life isn't this insane?

Toon Master is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Meh...another crappy pickup. Nothing to be excited about here folks.
    Hahahahahahaha, wahohohohohohohohohohohoho....hahahahaha..ha........

Dudley is online now <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was excited until I found out it's not animated.

The Talon is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First trailer has been unveiled, the series premiers on Thursday, August 7 at 11PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Compatriots,

my interest plummeted after seeing that trailer. i still might watch an episode or two just for the hell of it but i didn't laugh once during any of those clips.

PokeNirvash is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Regardless of whether it's a masterpiece or an unfunny piece of sh*t, it'll still be better than Boondocks season 4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast