toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I was honestly expecting that too. That would have given the second half at least something and it could have been a sweet moment with everyone playing with the dog in heaven.

I thought that this episode was good, but primarily only for the first half. I was surprised to see the full opening theme. It was okay. It had a nice funky techno beat to it that works. I'll miss the previews, but I don't mind losing them too much. Dandy bonding with a dog was rather sweet. Like with the little girl a few weeks ago, it did show that he had a soft side so that he wasn't a complete woman obsessed jerk. There was also a bit of a deep moment where Pup was talking about how she wondered why she existed while in the darkness of space. I kind of figured that she would die, but it was still pretty sad. Then again, a dead dog is practically guaranteed to make me feel at least sad, if not cry. Even Meow crying over not being able to play with her made me feel pretty sad. Building her a rocket was sweet and hinting that she was Laika was an unexpected twist. It was a nice emotional moment that was pretty effective.
    Alas, I missed this emotional part of the episode save for the funeral liftoff.

Sadder considering the real life Laika... best not to get into those details.

Too bad that the second half of the episode went back to a more comedic tone and barely connected back to the first half. The flea aliens came from Pup, but that was pretty much the only connection, along with possibly Dandy looking depressed while taking a shower. I really could have done without seeing his bottom though. The flea taking control of QT was rather strange and then it suddenly turned into trying to escape the black hole after the planet broke apart. I actually forgot that Gel was even in this episode. Their incompetence was never funny, although using a record at least looked pretty neat. I would have preferred for them to have died and meet up with Pup in heaven. It would have been corny, but it could have tied back to the tone from the first half and at least could have made their deaths look more positive than usual. Besides that, I can like corny stuff to a certain extent at least.

Overall, it was a good first half of the episode, but the second half left a lot to be desired. It really felt like two episodes merged into one. At least with the zombie episode, the second half followed up more on the events of everyone becoming zombies. The second half in this episode is barely connected to the first and while I'm sure it was probably to lighten the mood, the tone shift felt a bit too jarring for my tastes.
    Didn't see the first half, so I wasn't as jarred by the sudden shift in tone. Though I did enjoy the episode, due to it's strange antics. Robots going berserk, black holes, and general chaos - fun times!

However, seeing how human those micro aliens were was a bit disturbing. I can't say why - maybe because they look so human that their demise is just gut wrenching. And not in a sad way, but more... worrisome.

Overall, I think it's one of the more memorable moments of the series. I do wonder why the second half was so different (and seems out of place considering the writer's reputation). There's been episodes which have been de facto split in half (Ghost in the Shell SAC had one dealing with a Tachikomia and a brain case). But usually they deal with some theme. I can't think of any here, save that it just happens to be set on the same planet.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

savedbythebell is offline Phoenix Wright fanboy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It sucks they still aren't showing the Japanese Ending, its so much better.
    Now Space Ghost regrets his action. "Why," he says, "do we always hurt the one we love? Why, Banjo? Why? Banjo! Banjo! Baaannjo!"

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    Alas, I missed this emotional part of the episode save for the funeral liftoff.

Sadder considering the real life Laika... best not to get into those details.
    Yeah, knowing about the historical Laika does make it more depressing and it was already pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Didn't see the first half, so I wasn't as jarred by the sudden shift in tone. Though I did enjoy the episode, due to it's strange antics. Robots going berserk, black holes, and general chaos - fun times!

However, seeing how human those micro aliens were was a bit disturbing. I can't say why - maybe because they look so human that their demise is just gut wrenching. And not in a sad way, but more... worrisome.

Overall, I think it's one of the more memorable moments of the series. I do wonder why the second half was so different (and seems out of place considering the writer's reputation). There's been episodes which have been de facto split in half (Ghost in the Shell SAC had one dealing with a Tachikomia and a brain case). But usually they deal with some theme. I can't think of any here, save that it just happens to be set on the same planet.
    It didn't seem that fun to me, but the shift it tone made that more difficult. The way the alien fleas died was pretty brutal all things considered. Granted, they didn't mean to kill either one of them, but the crunch sound just made their deaths sound so terrible without even showing anything. Aside from taking place on the same planet and the fleas being on Pup, there really wasn't much a connection between the two halves. I really liked the first half, but the second half just really brought the episode down for me.

M.O.D.O.K. is offline Scientist Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, the weird splicing of the two stories was weird and more off-putting than in the zombie episode. It did make for the great gag at the end with Gel and Bea barely missing Dandy.

For those curious, the preview for next week had
    Spoiler:
    Gel narrating that he doesn't have much screentime, so he gets to narrate the preview, only for Bea to tell him that they don't appear in next week's episode. The preview itself had Dandy and the gang exploring a planet with bizarre, living plants.
    "Aaah...your screams are like music to my ears" - MODOK

Now with comes with a tumblr blog.

Latest entry: TSSM's Eddie Brock: A Nice Guy or a "Nice Guy"?

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Jamie Marchi and John Burgmeier have my wrath for using the term "feels" in that script. I hate when emotion is cheapened by stupid usage of words like that.

Meow's reaction to the dog was priceless though and always nice to see Dandy's softer side come out.

The episode did feel uneven. I guess they decided they didn't want to end on a sad note.

So let me get this straight Light Lucario. You felt more for that dog Dandy and co just met and possibly even those two aliens than the human guild that died in front of Kirito in the 3rd episode of SAO? The one where you questioned why you should care at all because of how little time was spent with those characters? That is interesting.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The full episode preview can be seen at Adult Swim Video. (You'll have to fast-forward past the whole episode to see it.)

The title is "Plants Are Living Things, Too, Baby."

EDIT: Here it is on YouTube.

Spoiler:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    So let me get this straight Light Lucario. You felt more for that dog Dandy and co just met and possibly even those two aliens than the human guild that died in front of Kirito in the 3rd episode of SAO? The one where you questioned why you should care at all because of how little time was spent with those characters? That is interesting.
    Not really for the two tiny aliens. I just commented on how their deaths were kind of brutal with the crunch sound effect, but I didn't really feel much for them since they were just kind of there. In regards to the dog though, I did feel more for her than the human guild that died in front of Kirito. She had a bit more personality than any of those characters did, the connection between her and Dandy, while shown only briefly, felt genuinely sweet and the emotional moment with her death felt a least a bit more natural compared to the forced emotion I got from all of their deaths. Plus, like I said earlier, seeing a dog die is practically guaranteed to make me feel sad at some level.

The problem with those deaths in Sword Art Online is that they didn't really give me anything about those characters either as individuals or as a group to make me feel sad enough for their deaths. They were all pretty bland and they expected the audience to feel sad for their deaths, despite not doing much of anything with them for roughly half the episode they were in, and all of the emotion they tried to muster out of it felt extremely forced, especially the second half of the episode. Spending little time on them was also a problem, but stronger writing and characterizations could have made it less of an issue. I do cry every time I see the beginning of UP after all and I'm pretty sure that point came up eventually in that talkback thread as well. The deaths in that episode, as well as the series as a whole for that matter, came off as emotionally manipulative to me. They were trying to force the sadness onto the audience without providing any substance to the characters to make the sadness more natural. Pup's brief backstory was sad, the idea of a dog questioning her existence in the blackness of space was surprisingly deep and being so happy to be playing with someone after being alone for who knows how long only to die shortly afterwards was more depressing than a group of bland characters dying due to Pup having more personality and her connection to Dandy.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The show didn't give you enough of those characters as individuals? Not even Sachi?

I don't think knowing more about those kids would actually add to the impact of their deaths. Their situation was dire to begin with whatever their lives were before that may have been interesting but it sounded like they were just a bunch of friends who decided to play a game together and got trapped in it. How hard it was for Kirito to watch that happen in front of him and the underlying thoughts that the's are young people dying and how their loved ones would be devastated at the loss seems like plenty enough to me.

Kayaba used them as an experiment much like scientists used Laika as an experiment. Both Laika and those kids were nigh guaranteed to die and forced to live with the fear of isolation and death. At least the kids had each other so they were not entirely isolated and tried to make the most of it. Laika got her last moments of peace and may have actually died of old age. Those kids were killed with a lot of life left to live. I understand getting sentimental about a dog dying. What perplexes me is how someone can be sentimental about that but not at least equally sentimental about human beings dying.

Isn't that rather realistic that the characters felt bland? How many human beings do you know that you would describe as anything other than plain or ordinary? So many of us live uneventful lives because its what we find most comfortable and we don't like change. I feel the point was these were average teenagers who liked to play video games. They joked around as friends do and they had arguments as friends do. They also had enough ego to believe they could take on the dangers of the game much like how young people often act like they're invincible believing "that wont happen to me". All of that made them feel rather genuinely human to me. Not every character in SAO did feel human mind you but that young guild did.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    The show didn't give you enough of those characters as individuals? Not even Sachi?
    Nope. Sachi was the only character to stand out from that group, even though I couldn't remember her name for the longest time, but she was also pretty bland and unmemorable, which I could say about nearly every character in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    I don't think knowing more about those kids would actually add to the impact of their deaths. Their situation was dire to begin with whatever their lives were before that may have been interesting but it sounded like they were just a bunch of friends who decided to play a game together and got trapped in it. How hard it was for Kirito to watch that happen in front of him and the underlying thoughts that the's are young people dying and how their loved ones would be devastated at the loss seems like plenty enough to me.
    Their situation was the same for everyone else trapped in the game. What made their deaths any different compared to the thousands of people dying? Yeah, they were young and seemed like a group of friends, but that's not really enough for me to become emotionally invested in them in order to care that they died. All of the players' loved ones would be devastated and I think that most of the players were pretty young to begin with. I know that there were older players within the game, but most of the ones that were shown looked like they were either in their teens or twenties. Sure, the situation of a bunch of young kids dying in the game is sad, but as a narrative, it failed to give me a reason to care about their deaths due to the characters all being bland. To me, their deaths weren't significantly different than that random leader from the second episode dying.

Kayaba used them as an experiment much like scientists used Laika as an experiment. Both Laika and those kids were nigh guaranteed to die and forced to live with the fear of isolation and death. At least the kids had each other so they were not entirely isolated and tried to make the most of it. Laika got her last moments of peace and may have actually died of old age. Those kids were killed with a lot of life left to live. I understand getting sentimental about a dog dying. What perplexes me is how someone can be sentimental about that but not at least equally sentimental about human beings dying.
    I wouldn't say that Kayaba used the players as an experiment per say. He at first wanted to play God, but then later forgot the reason why he became a mass murderer for some reason. It is true that Laika was guaranteed to die and there is the debate regarding the moral ethics of using animals as testing subjects there, but there was an actual reason behind it. Personally, I wouldn't say that killing a dog, or any creature for that matter, for the shake of science is justified, but that was an experiment, while sending thousands of players to their deaths really wasn't. Again, plenty of people were killed in the game, even though they had a lot of life left in them. That's really not enough, for me at least, to feel sadness over their deaths since there was nothing to become emotionally invested with.

In Pup's case, they did provide enough with her story to make me care. It didn't bring me to the point of tears, but the sadness in the scene was genuine, rather than shoved down the audience's throat like that group's deaths was in my opinion. She had more personality, her connection to Dandy was sweet and the fact that she died only shortly after being able to play with someone again felt far more tragic than a group of bland young people dying. Just because they're young doesn't make them any different from the thousands of other players, especially when none of them were memorable to begin with. For the record, I didn't care for any of the characters dying in Sword Art Online for basically the same reason, so this group isn't like the only case where I didn't care for human characters dying.

Isn't that rather realistic that the characters felt bland? How many human beings do you know that you would describe as anything other than plain or ordinary? So many of us live uneventful lives because its what we find most comfortable and we don't like change. I feel the point was these were average teenagers who liked to play video games. They joked around as friends do and they had arguments as friends do. They also had enough ego to believe they could take on the dangers of the game much like how young people often act like they're invincible believing "that wont happen to me". All of that made them feel rather genuinely human to me. Not every character in SAO did feel human mind you but that young guild did.
    That just comes off as an excuse for the sloppy writing. Sure, people tend to lead uneventful lives and many wouldn't be considered anything beyond ordinary, but in terms of story-telling, that really isn't a good excuse for creating bland characters and expecting the audience to care about them. If an author wants to make the audience sad over a bunch of characters' deaths, it's better to give them some personality in order for the audience be able to become emotionally invested in them. Simply killing off a bunch of bland characters and expecting the audience to feel sad primarily because they're young really isn't enough for me. If you felt that they were human enough to care about their deaths, that's fine, but they were boring and unmemorable characters to me with absolutely nothing to become emotionally invested in the ten or so minutes they were alive to care that they died.

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the only reason I felt bad for Sachi in SAO was that she was voiced by K-On's Ui, Xanthe Huynh. And Ui was such a sweet and nice person, and I just carried those traits over.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

shany94a is offline Malfunctioning Unit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitschensyngk View Post
    Planet Machinia - the machine planet...for machines!

It's a Shinichiro Watanabe show1 What did you think was in that fridge?

Speaking of...EIN!!
    Only saw this ep last night via On-Demand, where there were no changes in the show's opening/ending - but hard to believe no one else identified the fridge as coming from Cowboy Bebop's "Toys in the Attic", complete with residual "pudding"! And my first thought was the dog was Ein, too.
    Okey-dokey!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5