toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
Loading

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Results 101 to 114 of 114
  1. #101
    Lord Dalek's Avatar
    Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dalek Empire
    Posts
    19,482
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypeathon View Post
    Never seen it. Watching through Nishioshin shows directed by Akiyuki Shinbou from Shaft is a combination I have little tolerance for. Still baffled as to why that franchise is well-liked by anime fans to be honest other than I guess the fact Studio Shaft animated it.
    At least one reputable anime blogger said the only reason why he likes it is because Senjogahara is quote-unqoute "hot".

    I would probably agree with that ...but then she opens her mouth >_<.

  2. #102
    Kitschensyngk's Avatar
    Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    12,242
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    It's much better than .hack (except for music, but that's hard to top anyways). Also, unlike .hack, it has a coherent plot that doesn't sandbag you for not playing the games (it's based off a light novel series). And it even uses real MMO tactics, since the others couldn't be bothered to realize how they work for the most part.Edit: For those not sure, the show's name is Log Horizon in case you didn't click on Dalek's link. We have a sorely-underutilized topic that would welcome more participation.
    Spoiler:
    I enjoyed .hack//SIGN a lot because it had a believable and engaging cast - they weren't just stock character types, but were presented as real people who had real lives outside of their online activities. And like I said, I never played the games, but I interpreted the plot as the story of an introverted kid with an abusive father and a rotten life who is trapped in the game and is brainwashed into thinking that he's much better off staying in the virtual world, but over time he meets other players, forms new bonds and slowly realizes that the real world isn't as bad as he thinks and there are good people out there who really care about him. And I will admit the last episode did leave a couple of loose ends untied, but the cast and the story were enough to leave me satisfied.


    As for Log Horizon, I've never seen it, but if it's as good as you say, I may have to check it out sometime.

    NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.


  3. #103
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart View Post
    I have to confess, I didn't think it was an entirely bad final episode...out of context. Like that whole bit about the resurrection of VRMMOs as some sorta open source project would be quite a satisfying conclusion...if we didn't spend 24 episodes being shown that VRMMOs are a horrifying death trap run by either a psychotic mass murderer or a rapist with a god complex. Oh, and that psychotic mass murderer is the reason it's open source now, too. Seeing all the other players in the real world would've been rather touching, if they had any character development beyond Kirito's harem and didn't all disappear for the second half of the series. Really, that's one of the most frustrating things about the show; the way it has moments that could have been good, but context and otaku pandering completely kills them.

    Overall, it's just amazing how incompetent the overall production is, except for the soundtrack and (occasionally) the animation. I have to agree that it's kinda hard to see why this was popular at all, even taking the otaku pandering into account.
    That's basically my problem with how they played the resurrection of VRMMOs in this finale. If they didn't spend the entire series showing how potentially dangerous they are with two games being controlled by a mass murderer and an attempted rapist with a god-complex, it could have been a more satisfying conclusion. Why would any of these people even want to play another VRMMO again after the last one they played practically ruined their lives and resulted in the deaths of countless people? The reasonable response would be to throw their video game systems and never play them again, or at the very least not just a few months after they finally escaped a death trap and in Asuna's case, after she was molested and nearly raped. People using the world seed left by the mass murderer to create different worlds also seemed pretty stupid. I guess that they wanted to continue painting Kabuya in a positive light, despite the fact that it doesn't make sense after he couldn't even remember why he became a mass murderer in the first place. I understand that they were trying to go for something happy with everyone playing together, even though I still couldn't remember almost any of these characters names, but given what most of them went through, it really doesn't make sense and it just make them look incredibly stupid.

    I also agree that seeing the players in the real would could have been touching if any of them were interesting. Even the development for Kirito's harem isn't much, if anything, and none of the characters have any memorable personalities to make their inclusion in the finale mean anything. This show definitely had good idea, but the sloppy writing and otaku pandering ruins them. The first half of the series could have been salvageable with better writing and characters, but the second half should have been tossed in the garbage.

  4. #104
    Monte's Avatar
    Monte is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Long island
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    That's basically my problem with how they played the resurrection of VRMMOs in this finale. If they didn't spend the entire series showing how potentially dangerous they are with two games being controlled by a mass murderer and an attempted rapist with a god-complex, it could have been a more satisfying conclusion. Why would any of these people even want to play another VRMMO again after the last one they played practically ruined their lives and resulted in the deaths of countless people? The reasonable response would be to throw their video game systems and never play them again, or at the very least not just a few months after they finally escaped a death trap and in Asuna's case, after she was molested and nearly raped. People using the world seed left by the mass murderer to create different worlds also seemed pretty stupid. I guess that they wanted to continue painting Kabuya in a positive light, despite the fact that it doesn't make sense after he couldn't even remember why he became a mass murderer in the first place. I understand that they were trying to go for something happy with everyone playing together, even though I still couldn't remember almost any of these characters names, but given what most of them went through, it really doesn't make sense and it just make them look incredibly stupid.
    Yes, this ending is quite terrible... I think what ticks me off the most is how they handle kayaba; Kirito stills seems to hold a certain degree of respect for him and everyone is playing an enjoying the game he made. Its quite sickening when you remember that he was nothing more than a mass murderer who kill thousands just so that he could live his personal fantasy. This story is trying to act like he was somekind of misunderstood genius, when in truth he was just a monster. Really they try to make Oberon the more evil villain, but oberon wasn't really all that more evil; he was just a lot less subtle.

    4,000 people are dead; lives and familes have been ruined, and Kayaba is 100% responsible. In kirito's place I would have destoryed his little open source game engine if only to ensure that his name would be written down next to the likes of Hitler and Ghangis Khan in the history books. He deserves to remembered as a mass murderer, NOT a brilliant game designer. Their will be other games for them to play

    And ya... they are pretty insane to want to keep playing these VRMMO's after what happened to them. Honestly, Asuna got trapped in the first game, had to risk her life, lost 2 years of her life and had to watch countless people die... and than after that she gets kidnapped, imprisoned and was nearly raped. If the girl had an ounce of sense she would never go near one of those VR helmets every again. But no, they just go right back to playing the games. And what makes it crazier? the fact that we know that this isn't even the end of the story since their is a sequel series. Even without going into that series, you know this means there will be more murders and cases of people being trapped... and thus we know for a FACT that they are idiots to keep playing. They are gluttons for punishment


    Thinking about .Hack, i can't help but think about how that series handled this all better... I haven't seen EVERYTHING made about .hack, but from what i recall the incidents of people getting trappedin the game it was usually kept on a more individual level. For instance in the first game only ONE person gets trapped in the game. That is something I feel like the world could overlook; If a handful of people over a long course of time suffer from playing a game, the world will assume its a freak accident and keep on spinning... But when 10,000 people are trapped ON PURPOSE and 4,000 of them die, then there is no way the world would ignore it. If the government did not shut down VRMMO's then the game companies themselves would have as they would not want to touch such a controversial genre of gaming. It be YEARS before you see another VRMMO.

    Another major difference is that .Hack is always changing the character line up. Its not the same characters over and over again, all coming back to experience another incident... with each new series its usually a new group of people who never experienced the previous incidents that end up getting involved in game's craziness. It makes more sense like this, since anyone who sufferred from these kind of incidents would probably want to avoid those games when they were done

    Really, SAO would have been better if the entire story just took place in the first game and just the first incident
    ________________________
    My Deviant art
    Webcomic Ascension

  5. #105
    Lord Dalek's Avatar
    Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dalek Empire
    Posts
    19,482
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree the ending is pretty bad but in the end, I still believe think the conclusion of Aincrad with the whole "I don't remember" and unexplained resurrection of Kirito and Asuna-thing is actually the worse of the two. This one didn't seem quite as rushed and non-sensical in retrospect.

  6. #106
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Yes, this ending is quite terrible... I think what ticks me off the most is how they handle kayaba; Kirito stills seems to hold a certain degree of respect for him and everyone is playing an enjoying the game he made. Its quite sickening when you remember that he was nothing more than a mass murderer who kill thousands just so that he could live his personal fantasy. This story is trying to act like he was somekind of misunderstood genius, when in truth he was just a monster. Really they try to make Oberon the more evil villain, but oberon wasn't really all that more evil; he was just a lot less subtle.

    4,000 people are dead; lives and familes have been ruined, and Kayaba is 100% responsible. In kirito's place I would have destoryed his little open source game engine if only to ensure that his name would be written down next to the likes of Hitler and Ghangis Khan in the history books. He deserves to remembered as a mass murderer, NOT a brilliant game designer. Their will be other games for them to play
    Yeah, trying to make Oberon look worse than Kayaba was especially insulting. They're both pretty horrible people to say the least. Oberon was just less subtle, more greedy and wanted to rape Asuna, but like I said before, they're both morally corrupted scum. Neither one is better than the other. Kayaba is responsible for killing thousands of people, ruining countless lives and even for the surviving players, he stole two years of their lives that could have been spent with their friends and families. Trying to paint him in a more positive light in the last couple of episodes and downgrading the fact that he was a mass murderer was absolutely horrible. He should have been treated like the murderer that he was and not be remembered more as a game programmer. Besides that, it just seems incredibly stupid to use something designed by him after Sword Art Online. Even with testing to make sure it was safe beforehand, I wouldn't have been so comfortable using such a program when the last time that happened, thousands of people died.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    And ya... they are pretty insane to want to keep playing these VRMMO's after what happened to them. Honestly, Asuna got trapped in the first game, had to risk her life, lost 2 years of her life and had to watch countless people die... and than after that she gets kidnapped, imprisoned and was nearly raped. If the girl had an ounce of sense she would never go near one of those VR helmets every again. But no, they just go right back to playing the games. And what makes it crazier? the fact that we know that this isn't even the end of the story since their is a sequel series. Even without going into that series, you know this means there will be more murders and cases of people being trapped... and thus we know for a FACT that they are idiots to keep playing. They are gluttons for punishment
    If any of these characters had any sense, they wouldn't have touched another virtual reality game again, especially Asuna. Not only did she have do deal with being stuck in Sword Art Online for years and deal with people dying all around her, but she has the added psychological damage of being kidnapped, molested and nearly raped on top of that. Out of all of the people there, she should have felt especially nervous about playing another virtual reality game, but she's apparently fine with it in spite all of the added psychological and emotional stress she went through. No one in their right mind should be comfortable playing these games again after going through all of that, or at least not just a few months later. It's just so ridiculous. For some reason, I thought that that the sequel involved different characters, but the fact that they keep going in spite of what they have dealt with and what they will deal with in the future does make them look incredibly stupid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    Thinking about .Hack, i can't help but think about how that series handled this all better... I haven't seen EVERYTHING made about .hack, but from what i recall the incidents of people getting trappedin the game it was usually kept on a more individual level. For instance in the first game only ONE person gets trapped in the game. That is something I feel like the world could overlook; If a handful of people over a long course of time suffer from playing a game, the world will assume its a freak accident and keep on spinning... But when 10,000 people are trapped ON PURPOSE and 4,000 of them die, then there is no way the world would ignore it. If the government did not shut down VRMMO's then the game companies themselves would have as they would not want to touch such a controversial genre of gaming. It be YEARS before you see another VRMMO.
    That was one of my main issues with the initial setup for this arc in the first place. The situation with Sword Art Online affected a lot of people and lasted for two years. Any reasonable government would have shut them down during those two years in order to prevent more people from being potentially stuck in another game, but instead they were still widely available. Video game companies would have wanted to avoid such a potentially dangerous gaming genre too. If it was a single case of a person being stuck in the game, they probably wouldn't bat an eye over it after getting that person out. If it happened to a handful of people over a course of a long time, then they'd probably at least look into the situation a bit more to see if there's a connection, but that's about it. If thousands of people are trapped in, on purpose or not, and four thousands are killed, then that would result in virtual reality games being taken off the market for good, or for at least a long time until they look more into the games to make sure that they are safe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    Another major difference is that .Hack is always changing the character line up. Its not the same characters over and over again, all coming back to experience another incident... with each new series its usually a new group of people who never experienced the previous incidents that end up getting involved in game's craziness. It makes more sense like this, since anyone who sufferred from these kind of incidents would probably want to avoid those games when they were done

    Really, SAO would have been better if the entire story just took place in the first game and just the first incident
    Changing the cast would make more sense since it seems too ridiculous for the characters to keep playing these video games after dealing with all of the dramatic situations. I haven't seen anything of .hack, but I might check it out to see how well it handles these concepts. I agree that the series could have been better if it took place in the first game. I don't know if it could have been good since that would require much better writing, but at least it wouldn't have been as insultingly bad as it became with this arc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
    I agree the ending is pretty bad but in the end, I still believe think the conclusion of Aincrad with the whole "I don't remember" and unexplained resurrection of Kirito and Asuna-thing is actually the worse of the two. This one didn't seem quite as rushed and non-sensical in retrospect.
    I can see how the ending to the first arc was more rushed with Kayaba forgetting why he became a mass murderer and Kirito and Asuna surviving somehow, but I'd consider this ending more nonsensical. Kayaba being painted in a more positive light, everyone being okay with using a program from a mass murderer and all of the players from Sword Art Online being completely comfortable with playing virtual reality games again seemed much more ridiculously stupid to me by comparison.

  7. #107
    TheGunheart's Avatar
    TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sitting in my tin can...
    Posts
    1,792
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, how terrible is Phantom Bullet, anyway? The summaries I've read imply it's at least not worse than Fairy Dance, but that's hardly a glowing recommendation.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...


  8. #108
    Kitschensyngk's Avatar
    Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    12,242
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first ending was only rushed because they wasted too much time on a murder mystery, an NPC daughter character and a fricking fishing competition.

    With every .hack series I've seen, being stuck in the game was always integral to the plot, and they always flashed back to the real world to remind us how dire things were. In SAO, we see people becoming complacent, and even ENJOYING THEMSELVES. What about their families? What about what's going on in the real world? Wasn't this thing all over the news at one point? Hello?

    And then at the very end...yeah, let's bring the 100-level tower from the first game back! Remember all the good times we had trapped in that world for two years knowing that we would DIE for real if we lost? This place is definitely not traumatizing in any way!

    NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.


  9. #109
    Lord Dalek's Avatar
    Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dalek Empire
    Posts
    19,482
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just a little piece of data here that'll make KS unhappy:

    THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF EPISODES OF SAO THAT TOONAMI HAS AIRED TO DATE: 25

    THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF .HACK EPISODES IN ALL THREE OF ITS INCARNATIONS THAT AIRED ON TOONAMI:


    ...four. They washed their hands of that show faster than you can say Wulin Warriors.

    EDIT: And remember... this was a thing! ...and it did air on Cartoon Network! ...at the same time slot SAO was on albeit 24 hours earlier!

    Last edited by Lord Dalek; 02-18-2014 at 09:11 AM.

  10. #110
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitschensyngk View Post
    The first ending was only rushed because they wasted too much time on a murder mystery, an NPC daughter character and a fricking fishing competition.

    With every .hack series I've seen, being stuck in the game was always integral to the plot, and they always flashed back to the real world to remind us how dire things were. In SAO, we see people becoming complacent, and even ENJOYING THEMSELVES. What about their families? What about what's going on in the real world? Wasn't this thing all over the news at one point? Hello?

    And then at the very end...yeah, let's bring the 100-level tower from the first game back! Remember all the good times we had trapped in that world for two years knowing that we would DIE for real if we lost? This place is definitely not traumatizing in any way!
    Yeah, spending time on those plot did contribute to the rush ending of the arc. The characters becoming complacent and even enjoying themselves while they were stuck in the game really bothered me too. It just made me wonder why they would want to clear the game if they were able to be that comfortable with staying there playing house. If they're that comfortable and there isn't much of a personal reason for getting out besides not wanting to die and then later wanting to date Kirito for real, then that's just going to make me question why they're bothering to risk their lives to escape. Having some moments where they enjoy themselves, in spite of being in a death trap, would make sense to relieve some tension for both the characters and the audience, but that usually work best when the struggle is intense enough. They don't really show them struggling enough to where being that comfortable would be more reasonable to the audience. The show in general breaks the whole "show, don't tell" rule of storytelling a lot with the difficulty of the game and the love between Kirito and Asuna probably being the biggest examples in the series.

    Cutting to the real world to see how intense the situation was could have helped. Flashbacks that the characters and/or their family and friends have before they were stuck could have helped to give them a bit more personality or at least more of a reason to why they'd want to get out besides not wanting to die. Honestly, everyone who played Sword Art Online should be traumatized to the point where they never want to touch another video game again, but they should especially not be thrilled about playing through the one hundred level tower again.

  11. #111
    Kitschensyngk's Avatar
    Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    12,242
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Just a little piece of data here that'll make KS unhappy:

    THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF EPISODES OF SAO THAT TOONAMI HAS AIRED TO DATE: 25

    THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF .HACK EPISODES IN ALL THREE OF ITS INCARNATIONS THAT AIRED ON TOONAMI:


    ...four. They washed their hands of that show faster than you can say Wulin Warriors.
    As this show has proven, popularity is not always an indicator of quality. Just because it gets good ratings doesn't always mean it's good.

    NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.


  12. #112
    Gold Guy's Avatar
    Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,117
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well. That was....kinda boring. I liked Arc 1, honestly, but arc 2, not so much.... Good-bye, SAO. I used to like you.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

    "What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

  13. #113
    Gatomon41's Avatar
    Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Verge of Total Chaos
    Posts
    8,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Going to focus on the episode itself first, then cover Season 2 later.

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that this was a pretty bad episode. I was surprised that Oberon actually attacked Kirito, but I was expecting that he'd have more damage after Kirito defeated him in the game. Or at least more than feeling pain and one of his eyes being messed up. We didn't really need to see clips of Oberon molesting Asuna, but I guess it was to add more tension. Although, it was pretty obvious he wouldn't kill him, especially when Oberon is so pathetic that he isn't even worth it. I was wondering about the security though. Someone should have seen the fight or heard the scream, but that would make too much sense. Kirito meeting Asuna in the real world for the first time would be more touching if they weren't so bland and the romance came off more genuine and less shoved down the audience's throats.
    The final IRL fight between the Creeper and Kirito was probably better than the previous battle. Maybe because it wasn't so one sided, or that Kirito actually shows some emotion other than smug. At the very least, it looked like Kirito was fighting someone on equal terms. Neither opponent probably doesn't have much experience outside of the game.

    In any case, my favorite part was Creeper not being able to see due his glasses fogging up. It's first time I've seen this happen in a fictional fight. It's refreshing and funny. As for the mysteriously empty hospital... zombie attack? :P

    Really, the only interesting things about Kirito and Asuna's relationship was their situation (being stuck in the fantasy game) and that they look cute. And that's it. In the hands of a more capable writers, they could have explored the concept more efficiently.

    I really didn't care to see that Kirito's harem had all joined the school and still have feelings for him. It just comes off as so ridiculously stupid. At least Oberon was arrested. I'll admit the backlash that these virtual reality games got after this latest incident made sense. This was yet another example of how dangerous these virtual reality games could be in someone dangerous is able to take control. The deal with Sword Art Online was much worse given it was longer and resulted in people actually dying, but keeping hundreds of players in a coma for experimentation certainly isn't good either. Any sensible government would have taken these games off the market for good after Sword Art Online, or at the very least take them off until they can figure out a way to make sure people aren't going to be put in life threatening danger again.
    While the individual characters were more interesting than our hero, the Harem was in the end rather pointless. They were never mentioned again (until the end), and don't add to the plot or character development. Yes, it's nice to see were they are. But it just a glorified cameo, only to add more to how great Anime Wesley Crusher is.

    Yes anime, it's clear that Kirito gets girls... but not every person he meets should have a crush on him. Even dark and wearing black, the lack of a personality does support this claim.

    As for the lack of government regulation after the SAO incident: Considering that no one even question the wisdom of having a Microwave Emitter in a helmet, it seems that the SAO-verse is full of fools.

    But the whole deal with the World Seed, practically everyone being able to create their own virtual world make and being able to transfer to different worlds gave me the impression that the audience is not suppose to see the games as the potential dangerous death traps, but rather something positive for everyone to have fun with. That doesn't really work, especially when these two games, particularly Sword Art Online, have done a lot more harm than good to countless people. (snip)
    I can actually see people doing that - using a new technology to live out their dreams. Even considering that it was made by a psycho, gamers would still use it because of it's potential. Of course, there's the unfortunate implication that the users don't really care about life and prefer selfish fantasy above common sense.

    While a fitting criticism of gaming, I doubt this was an intentional satire.

    (snip) And they just had to get in more shots of Leafa's breasts. They probably wanted Kirito and Leafa's dance to be seen as touching, but it just made me feel uneasy given the incestuous feelings she has for him. I guess we're suppose to be happy that she's going to help him clear all those floors, but I still couldn't really find a reason to care. (snip)
    Again, it would be interesting to explore the tragedy of such a relationship. But the talent and seriousness is lacking to do that.

    I actually sort of like Leefya, and she was a major reason why I liked this season somewhat more than season 1. Probably because she got more development compared to other characters, even with the quasi-incest issue. Plus, she's voiced by K-On!'s Ritsu - she managed to provide a excellent performance.
    He is Risen.

    "Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

  14. #114
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,805
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    The final IRL fight between the Creeper and Kirito was probably better than the previous battle. Maybe because it wasn't so one sided, or that Kirito actually shows some emotion other than smug. At the very least, it looked like Kirito was fighting someone on equal terms. Neither opponent probably doesn't have much experience outside of the game.

    In any case, my favorite part was Creeper not being able to see due his glasses fogging up. It's first time I've seen this happen in a fictional fight. It's refreshing and funny. As for the mysteriously empty hospital... zombie attack? :P
    Being on equal grounds probably helped to make the fight a bit more engaging than their last fight. That and I still didn't expect Oberon to attack out of nowhere. If he didn't spend a couple of minutes kicking Kirito and telling him to get up, he probably could have stabbed him in the stomach a couple of times to kill him before his glasses fogged up. My guess for the hospital is that it's run by completely incompetent people. Not only should have their been security guards around the building, but the doctors taking the night shift to keep an eye on patients really should have heard the fight, as well and see that Kirito was breaking into the hospital well after visiting hours from the look of things. The hallways were dark and no one was around when he was in the building. There should have been someone there to make sure that patients could be taken care of.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Really, the only interesting things about Kirito and Asuna's relationship was their situation (being stuck in the fantasy game) and that they look cute. And that's it. In the hands of a more capable writers, they could have explored the concept more efficiently.
    I'm not sure if their situation made their relationship interesting per say, but it was the only thing really unique about how they met and fell in love. The concept of two people falling in love while in a virtual game deathtrap is good, but like pretty much everything else in this series, it's poorly executed. With better writing and characterizations, it could have been good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    While the individual characters were more interesting than our hero, the Harem was in the end rather pointless. They were never mentioned again (until the end), and don't add to the plot or character development. Yes, it's nice to see were they are. But it just a glorified cameo, only to add more to how great Anime Wesley Crusher is.

    Yes anime, it's clear that Kirito gets girls... but not every person he meets should have a crush on him. Even dark and wearing black, the lack of a personality does support this claim.
    I'm not sure if I'd say that the girls were more interesting than Kirito. They all seemed pretty bland to me and none of them were memorable outside of what role they had in the game. It doesn't help that they hadn't appeared more than once before this glorified cameo, but I don't think that I could call any of the characters in this show interesting. Some had potential to be more interesting if they had more personality and better writing, but as they are, they're all pretty dull. I agree that the harem itself is incredibly pointless and it doesn't make sense for Kirito to get so many girls to like him. Considering that they were setting Kirito with Asuna from the start and he never showed any interest for anyone else, giving him a harem was a pretty stupid choice and it's clearly there just to add into the wish fulfillment element of the series.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    As for the lack of government regulation after the SAO incident: Considering that no one even question the wisdom of having a Microwave Emitter in a helmet, it seems that the SAO-verse is full of fools.
    Considering that everyone is fine with using a mass murderer's program and none of the characters had any problem with traveling through that one hundred floor tower again, I can believe that everyone in the Sword Art Online universe is an idiot quite easily. Any sensible government would have shut down virtual reality games for a long time, if not for good, after thousands of people died from being trapped in one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    I can actually see people doing that - using a new technology to live out their dreams. Even considering that it was made by a psycho, gamers would still use it because of it's potential. Of course, there's the unfortunate implication that the users don't really care about life and prefer selfish fantasy above common sense.

    While a fitting criticism of gaming, I doubt this was an intentional satire.
    That is interesting bit of commentary on gaming and gamers, but I also doubt that they were going for that. I don't think that the show is smart enough or self-aware enough to pull something like that off. Besides that, they were presenting it in too much of a positive light for it to be considered anything but a happy ending for the players. Even with its potential, the fact that it was made by a mass murderer who killed thousands of people and ruined countless lives should have been a major red flag for everyone to avoid it like the plague and throw it in the trash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Again, it would be interesting to explore the tragedy of such a relationship. But the talent and seriousness is lacking to do that.

    I actually sort of like Leefya, and she was a major reason why I liked this season somewhat more than season 1. Probably because she got more development compared to other characters, even with the quasi-incest issue. Plus, she's voiced by K-On!'s Ritsu - she managed to provide a excellent performance.
    If they actually made the fact that they're related important and explored the tragedy of such a relationship, then maybe it could have been more interesting. I'd most likely still be disturbed with the incest, but at least there would be something more to it than just Kirito is so appealing that even his own sister/cousin wants him and there could be more of a reason as to why I should care that she can't be in an incestuous relationship with her brother besides crying all of the time. Actually showing more of their relationship before he got stuck in Sword Art Online, why she would fall in love with her brother/cousin, why she's totally okay with incest, even with Japan being a bit more okay with it than other countries, and not having her primarily defined by being in love with Kirito could help. I don't really like either arc myself. The first one is just less insultingly bad than the second one, but nothing that I could say that I actually liked beyond good ideas that were ruined by sloppy writing. Leafa does get more development compared to other characters, but that doesn't really say much. Plus, her development comes down to accepting that she can't be with Kirito, even though the dance scene clearly shows that she is not over him. I guess she has more of a personal storyline going for her than Asuna did in the first arc, but considering that it was all about how broken up that she couldn't be in an incestuous relationship with Kirito and that was one of the aspects of the series that made it go from watchable bad to insultingly bad for me, I wouldn't really take that as a good thing in this case.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO