toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are people here disappointed with Toonami's modern line-up?

Like This Thread!
    Excuse the alarmist nature of the thread title, but from viewing some of the talkback threads (i.e. Soul Eater and Sword Art Online), there seems to be some discontent among most of the commenters. I wonder, what new shows do the people here legitimately enjoy from the line-up?

Nobodyman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Of the shows I do watch on Toonami, I personally don't like most of them. But at the same time I can't really fault Toonami for airing them since they're popular and have been getting pretty good ratings.

But on a personal level, yeah, I'm kinda disappointed. I don't like Bleach or Shippuden, and I certainly don't like SAO. Soul Eater I'm mostly indifferent towards. And Space Dandy has been kind of a mixed bag so far. So that leaves One Piece, which is the only show I legitimately like.

But again, that's just the shows I do watch. A lot of the shows they've got on the later hours are pretty good. Naruto is good, GITS is good, and Brotherhood and Samurai Jack are great. It's just, you know, I'm not gonna stay up till 4:00 AM to watch reruns.

Thankfully SAO is ending next week, Soul Eater is close to ending, and Bleach will end its run in the fall. I'm really looking forward to Black Lagoon since I've heard good things about it, and Blue Exorcist...well, I guess it could surprise me, but I'm not too hopeful based on what I've heard.

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No, I'm not disappointed. I would be disappointed if they couldn't afford anything name-brand and programmed wall-to-wall bargain-basement moe.

I don't watch everything on the block, but I wouldn't have time to anyway. No one watches EVERY show a network or block offers. Some people prefer One Piece and some people prefer SAO. They should both get what they want.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's been a while, but they've finally returned....press kits, prototypes, gorgeous neon signs, Sonic with a watermelon.....it must be THINGS YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE, Summer '14 Edition!

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Out of the shows I watch on the block, there aren't too many that I like. Space Dandy feels a bit lackluster to me so far. It has great animation, good music and I liked the more serious toned episode, but that's about it. Soul Eater is decent at best, but I haven't been really enjoying it for quite some time. Most of the characters are boring, the lack of any major victories against the villains for such a long time made it feel like there wasn't much progress being made and the second half feels like its being dragged on, especially with its subplots. I absolutely hate Sword Art Online for its sloppy writing, bland characters, anticlimactic fights, the insect subplot and the use of attempted rape in the most recent episode.

That basically leaves One Piece as the only show that I really like watching. The pacing can be slow, especially when they first start an arc to set things up, but the characters are good, the action is great, it is engaging to watch and it can pull off emotional moments really well. I don't watch Bleach or Shippuden, so I don't really care about them. I do like Brotherhood and Samurai Jack, while a bit overrated in my opinion, is also pretty good, but I'm not going to be staying up that late for reruns either.

Despite disliking, or not caring for, most of the shows I'm watching on the lineup, I'm not sure if I'd say that I'm disappointed in it. I might personally feel that way, but I think it's more accurate for me to say that I find the lineup to be lackluster. I understand why the shows that I don't like are on the block. They're popular and they get good ratings. I just don't care for much of them for various reasons and because I generally try to finish a show I've started to watch, especially when I'm so close to the end, I plan on finishing them. Since Sword Art Online and Soul Eater will be ending soon, maybe I'll find the new shows to be more enjoyable. I haven't heard the best things about Blue Exorcist, but I'm still willing to try it out. Black Lagoon might be fun to watch too, so maybe then the lineup will be better for me.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've disappointed since Toonami caved to nostalgia and abandoned the 12:30 slot to Naruto. That basically threw any cold water on the possibility of a more mature block.

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm loving Space Dandy and Black Lagoon is great, plus their movie events and such have been good, so while I'm not into most of the shows on the block I'd say they're doing better now than they were last year (now if they somehow don't get Attack on Titan by the end of the year, then there's reason for disappointment). I am disappointed they haven't gotten Tiger and Bunny but I think some of that disappointment might be towards Viz for making all their shows pricey.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

El-Hazard is offline I like birds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can really only speak for myself here, but I'm mostly alright with the current lineup.

Space Dandy's been alright (with the exception of episode six which I thought was kinda terrible), I haven't really payed any attention to Bleach since the filler arc started, I actually like Naruto Shippuden and like being able to finally see it in English, and I've been down with One Piece since it first hit US television.

Sword Art Online's the only show I've found particularly difficult to sit through (I personally thought it went downhill after episode three), Soul Eater's first chunk of episodes I found really stupid and trying too hard to be funny, but now I'm enjoying it because the storyline eventually started to take itself more seriously, even though it could use more character development, and I personally never really cared for Ghost in the Shell. And hey, Sword Art Online will be off the schedule for good after this weekend, and Soul Eater's gone after next month, so it's not like the schedule is ever the same for too long.

I can't really speak for the rest of the block since I usually go to bed around 2:30 to 3 depending on the show, but the shows after 3 AM, I don't have a huge gripe with. I never really cared for Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but other than that, I don't find the second half of the block particularly offensive.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty satisfied. I like Bleach, I like Shippuden, I like One Piece, I like Soul Eater, I don't hate SAO, I finally get to watch Samurai Jack, I like IGPX, and the rest I'm mostly indifferent to. So, yeah.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Until they announced Black Lagoon I was questioning if they'd ever air something really ballsy or if they would continue to play it safe. One Piece is more than all I need to be content with what they're playing but it's good to see them pick up a show that they couldn't have feasibly played on daytime CN back in the day that also isn't just needlessly controversial the way SAO has been. Some the general audience might be interested in.

There's also Space Dandy which I do feel is a solid bridge show between Adult Swim's main audience and the dedicated Toonami viewers.

Regardless of anything else they are clearly putting effort into the block. The order of the schedule can leave a bit to be desired when I have the chance to watch it live but there's nothing on the block that I absolutely wont sit through besides perhaps Bleach and Shippuden but I'll even watch those live to riff on them on Twitter.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Cartoon X is offline Lum the Forever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't honestly say I'm invested much in the lineup. Space Dandy has entertained me so far and it's the only one of the premiere shows I make it a habit to watch. I enjoy One Piece, but I've seen these episodes/read the manga enough times that I don't have much interest in watching it most of the time. I loathe Bleach, dislike Naruto Shippuden, and am meh on Soul Eater. I think Sword Art Online is terrible, and have only been watching it on the block since Fairy Dance started to live-tweet/see people's reactions to the increasing awfulness of it. The later-hour shows I think are alright for the most part. I don't care for Naruto or InuYasha but I get why they are airing them. I find IGPX rather dull but it was a nice treat to it's fans bringing it back. I do think the rest of the stuff is great, and even though they are reruns that I don't really have the urge to stay up and see. I do like sitting through the occasional episode when I'm staying up late anyway.

But as to whether I'm disappointed in Toonami...I might be, but at the same time, I think they are doing a good job. That might sound contradictory, but I get most of these programming decisions. There is no good reason for them to ditch Bleach when it still has premieres and performs well in the ratings. I was mad when the brought Naruto back to the block, but it was also a common sense move that I knew would help out the block ratings-wise, which it did. Soul Eater is a popular series that they could run for a year, One Piece...well that I actually wanted back, but it's also popular (enough) and they can probably keep it going for 15 years if they last that long, and Sword Art, while I hate it, was THE most popular/talked about anime of 2012 and one of their most-requested shows, so in that light it made sense that they picked it up. I can't really fault them for giving the general majority of it's viewers what they want to see, even if I'm not a part of that majority.

The only decision of theirs I really hated was GXP, which is a terrible show that only got picked up because it must have been cheap and it had the Tenchi name to allure nostalgics. Otherwise, while I haven't cared for most of the pick-ups so far, I think that they've done a great job creating a balanced schedule with a variety of shows throughout. I can't say I agree with the people who say Toonami has decayed or anything, because this is probably the strongest it has been for a long time in terms of popularity/ratings/effort/being cared about by the network. So oddly enough, I happy with Toonami while still being disappointed; happy that it's doing so well while disappointed that I don't like most of what they have to offer me. I like Toonami. I don't like their shows.

At the same time, I don't recall a single Toonami line-up where I liked EVERY show they aired. Looking back even at lineups in the so-called glory days of the block, I don't think I could sit through many of them today. Some shows I'd watch, some shows I wouldn't. In that way Toonami hasn't changed much. It gives you a selection of shows, you watch the ones you want to watch. It offers people a leisurely way to check out shows and keep up with the ones they like. At this point, with the block doing well, there is no reason for anyone to sit through the shows they don't want to watch anymore, and I don't much too complain about either.

Here's a challenge. Someone give me a Toonami lineup from the past that was absolutely perfect for everybody ever. I'd be surprised if it existed, and I doubt it'll ever exist now.

Anyway, the push for "adult" action with Black Lagoon is an interesting development. I don't give a damn about a so-called "mature" Toonami, but I do care about a variety of good shows airing on the block and seinin action series are a part of that. I'd hope Black Lagoon is a good sign for more "adult" action pick-ups in the future, like Psycho-Pass. That'd be great. As for other shows, Attack on Titan, while I don't really care about it, is a no-brainer pick up and I'd raise an eyebrow if they don't air it before the end of the year, and I'd hope that Kill la Kill and Magi make it on there this year as well. Otherwise, I'll just hope they pick up more shows that interest me, which is all I really ever wanted from the block anyways.
    Aspiring Animator. A Toonami Faithful since January 2005, and proud fan of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since October 2005. Wig Out. Stay Gold.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast