toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    animePWNS is offline Finally on VC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

So Excalibur's just gonna watch from the sidelines.

And that's 7.5 fools from him tonight.

Next week:
    Spoiler:
    Something cool happens!
    Oh, hai, Adult Swim.
    1/4/10: Reached 1000th post milestone
    4/1/12: Thanks to Adult Swim and Toonami, this date will live on as: Best. April. Fools. Day. Ever.
    6/3/12: 2000 posts

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First Medusa, and now Black Star.

This is the best two weeks ever! ^_^
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Radical is online now The Face of Evilness & Sadism!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Episode 46 was pretty awesome/interesting, Black Star bashers' favorite episode and mine too, hehehe,

The highlights:
    Medusa was an epic villainess, but her death was satisfying which she'll be joining with Legato, Darcia, King Bradley(Pride/Wrath)/Envy/Shou Tucker, Kyoji Mujo, Light Yagami, and Mr. Sonahara(Durarara!!) in the afterlife, hehehe.
    While Crona is an awesome likable comrade/friend for Maka, he'll so replace Black Star.
    Black Star vs. Mifune round 3 begins, I'll so root for the awesome Mifune to destroy the annoying unlikable brat Black Star.
    Mifune clobbering Black Star was satisfying, thank you Mifune.
    Death the Kid's detective work/purpose on wanting to know Lord Death's secret has been great in his character.
    Blair so cute.
    Nice to see Eibon who's an interesting character.
    Lord Death finally spilling the beans ready to explain the purpose of the magic tool by revealing that the final tool contains Eibon's soul needed to operate "Brew", and that Eibon once served as one of eight of Lord Death's warriors in the past, and that Eibon used the magic tools as part of research for the greater good, pretty interesting/great on Lord Death/Eibon's history.
    Cool to see Excalibur who's awesome/funny, he reveals that Eibon was obsessed with immortality was unable to find a way to transcend death until Arachne offered a helping hand, his story is real this time, poor Eibon.
    Sweet with Excalibur to be involved in the plot with Eibon/Arachnophobia instead of his epic funny fillers.
    Arachne's doomsday weapon of mass destruction is pretty cool.
    Mifune's question to Black Star along with killing White Star(looking like an evil Kakashi) who was a demonic psychopath scumbag was interesting, Mifune is one awesome hero next to Maka/Death the Kid/Crona, but Black Star is acting just like White Star and will choose the dark path since he's a horrible selfish irredeemable punk.
    Mifune easily destroying Black Star was super satisfying, yaaaaaaay, GO MIFUNE, seeing Black Star suffer, get his poundings, and die after Medusa was awesome/satisfying to see.
    Eibon putting the function of "Brew" to work and unlock its power is a great cliffhanger.
    Last edited by Radical; 02-15-2014 at 04:58 AM.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I thought that this episode was pretty good for the most part. It felt like they were cutting back and forth a bit too much or that they were trying to cram a lot into one episode. I wasn't expecting Excalibur to appear, but at least he wasn't as painfully annoying as usual and he actually told a story straight for once. Although, I thought that the whole twist with Eibon was pretty weak. After all that buildup with Kid wondering what his father was doing with the Magic Tools and him trying to learn about Eibon, his father just comes out to tell him once he got everything ready to use the Magic Tools. That just made the whole subplot look like a waste of time and pretty anticlimactic after that buildup. At least we finally got answers about Eibon, but the episode ended before they could use his Magic Tools.

Black Star vs. Mifune was pretty good, even though it constantly reminded me why I absolutely hate Black Star. Throughout this fight, he was being an annoying and arrogant jerk. His attitude was mirroring his father's quite a bit. I'm sure that was suppose to be the intent, but there's really no reason for me to care if Black Star does choose the path of a demon. He's completely unlikable and he isn't even fighting to save the world. He is basically acting like his father. He wants to win and surpass God. He said it himself that defeating Mifune is the only thing that matters, despite how they are fighting to save the world here. There is no redeeming qualities to him and he certainly hasn't learned anything from his past defeats. Mifune is siding with the enemy, but he has more of a sense of morality than Black Star has. Seeing Black Star lose at the end was so wonderfully satisfying. I kept hoping that Mifune would just beat him up badly, but since this was probably the last time they'd fight, I thought that they would give Black Star the victory. Seeing him lose was much better and much more fitting. So hopefully he stays down and doesn't pull a come from being victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that this episode was pretty good for the most part. It felt like they were cutting back and forth a bit too much or that they were trying to cram a lot into one episode. I wasn't expecting Excalibur to appear, but at least he wasn't as painfully annoying as usual and he actually told a story straight for once. Although, I thought that the whole twist with Eibon was pretty weak. After all that buildup with Kid wondering what his father was doing with the Magic Tools and him trying to learn about Eibon, his father just comes out to tell him once he got everything ready to use the Magic Tools. That just made the whole subplot look like a waste of time and pretty anticlimactic after that buildup. At least we finally got answers about Eibon, but the episode ended before they could use his Magic Tools.
    This is what Red Letter Media calls the disappointing "Mystery Plot", in which the writers decide to toss in something that looks like a intriguing story, only to be nothing but padding. All that build up was for nothing, and only there to take up time.

Worse, why all the secrets in the first place? It's one thing to keep the audience not in the know, but keeping the Kid out of the loop only makes no sense. All LD has to is explain "Hey son, I have a big plan to stop the bad guys, but I can't give all the details. Here's what I need you to do..." They can still have the Magic Tools be a issue, but all without the implication that the DWMA is some sort of evil conspiracy.

I actually didn't mind that so much was happening at once, at least in this episode. It does add to the sense of urgency that all these events are happening at the same time.

Black Star vs. Mifune was pretty good, even though it constantly reminded me why I absolutely hate Black Star. Throughout this fight, he was being an annoying and arrogant jerk. His attitude was mirroring his father's quite a bit. I'm sure that was suppose to be the intent, but there's really no reason for me to care if Black Star does choose the path of a demon. He's completely unlikable and he isn't even fighting to save the world. He is basically acting like his father. He wants to win and surpass God. He said it himself that defeating Mifune is the only thing that matters, despite how they are fighting to save the world here. There is no redeeming qualities to him and he certainly hasn't learned anything from his past defeats. Mifune is siding with the enemy, but he has more of a sense of morality than Black Star has. Seeing Black Star lose at the end was so wonderfully satisfying. I kept hoping that Mifune would just beat him up badly, but since this was probably the last time they'd fight, I thought that they would give Black Star the victory. Seeing him lose was much better and much more fitting. So hopefully he stays down and doesn't pull a come from being victory.
    I'd call Black Star a Anti-hero, but that's because he's only siding with the protagonists. In any other case, I'd consider him a villain protagonist for the very reasons brought up. The only redeeming qualities is his persistence and Tsubaki. And I'm pretty sure without Tsubaki, no one would even bother dealing with this twerp.
    He is Risen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    This is what Red Letter Media calls the disappointing "Mystery Plot", in which the writers decide to toss in something that looks like a intriguing story, only to be nothing but padding. All that build up was for nothing, and only there to take up time.

Worse, why all the secrets in the first place? It's one thing to keep the audience not in the know, but keeping the Kid out of the loop only makes no sense. All LD has to is explain "Hey son, I have a big plan to stop the bad guys, but I can't give all the details. Here's what I need you to do..." They can still have the Magic Tools be a issue, but all without the implication that the DWMA is some sort of evil conspiracy.

I actually didn't mind that so much was happening at once, at least in this episode. It does add to the sense of urgency that all these events are happening at the same time.
    Yeah, the whole mystery about what the DWMA was at least kind of interesting. Like most of the subplots at this point, it felt like they were dragging it out a bit, but there was still something interesting there. Maybe it was suppose to be funny that Lord Death could just tell Kid about his plans now, but it just made the subplot a complete waste of time, especially after all of that buildup. I agree that keeping the secret from Kid seemed unnecessary. I could understand not telling him the details until they got all of the Magic Tools just out of safety reasons, but he could have explained that it was a plan to take care of the villains so that Kid wouldn't have trust issues with the DWMA and think that there was some conspiracy going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    I'd call Black Star a Anti-hero, but that's because he's only siding with the protagonists. In any other case, I'd consider him a villain protagonist for the very reasons brought up. The only redeeming qualities is his persistence and Tsubaki. And I'm pretty sure without Tsubaki, no one would even bother dealing with this twerp.
    I'm not even sure if I'd call him an Anti-hero. He's siding with the protagonists, but he has no interest in helping people with his powers. He's more interested in proving his strength and surpassing God than actually caring about people or stopping the villains. Seeing him act almost identical to his father really made it clear that he is more of villain than a protagonist, or at least has more of the behavior for the former than the later. I wouldn't say that he has any redeeming qualities. His persistence is one reason why he's so annoying since he just keeps going. That might be good for when he's fighting a villain, but it doesn't really redeem him in my opinion. As for Tsubaki, she is the only one who can actually deal with him, but I wouldn't consider her a redeeming quality for Black Star either. Their relationship isn't particularly touching and Tsubaki's behavior around Black Star always made me think of a person who is far too forgiving of their spouse's terrible behavior, even when it bothers the people around them. Instead of pointing out how much of a terrible person he is, she just accepts it. That's why she can work with him, but it doesn't make either one of them look good in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    (snip)
    I'm not even sure if I'd call him an Anti-hero. He's siding with the protagonists, but he has no interest in helping people with his powers. He's more interested in proving his strength and surpassing God than actually caring about people or stopping the villains. Seeing him act almost identical to his father really made it clear that he is more of villain than a protagonist, or at least has more of the behavior for the former than the later. I wouldn't say that he has any redeeming qualities. His persistence is one reason why he's so annoying since he just keeps going. That might be good for when he's fighting a villain, but it doesn't really redeem him in my opinion. As for Tsubaki, she is the only one who can actually deal with him, but I wouldn't consider her a redeeming quality for Black Star either. Their relationship isn't particularly touching and Tsubaki's behavior around Black Star always made me think of a person who is far too forgiving of their spouse's terrible behavior, even when it bothers the people around them. Instead of pointing out how much of a terrible person he is, she just accepts it. That's why she can work with him, but it doesn't make either one of them look good in my opinion.
    Good point on Tsubaki - she's a kind, nice person but at the same time, she doesn't seem to do much to rein in her very obviously deranged friend. Worse, it seems that she enables him at times.

Of course, I'm a bit confused the whole 'scythe thing. What sort of relationship do these human/weapons have with their users? It seems that a lot of the 'scythes are rather passive and a bit too willing to help their users - Maka's Dad and Marie being bit of pushovers/losers, The Twins or Soul or Tsubaki not really questioning the more rash actions of their partners . Are they automatically obedient because they are weapons? Or is it just part of their nature or is it a social thing? The show doesn't seem to clear this up.
    He is Risen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Good point on Tsubaki - she's a kind, nice person but at the same time, she doesn't seem to do much to rein in her very obviously deranged friend. Worse, it seems that she enables him at times.
    That's why I don't particularly like Tsubaki. She doesn't even try to point out how Black Star's behavior is so annoying to everyone around him. She accepts it and tries to get other people to accept that this is just how he is, which makes her look pretty bad too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Of course, I'm a bit confused the whole 'scythe thing. What sort of relationship do these human/weapons have with their users? It seems that a lot of the 'scythes are rather passive and a bit too willing to help their users - Maka's Dad and Marie being bit of pushovers/losers, The Twins or Soul or Tsubaki not really questioning the more rash actions of their partners . Are they automatically obedient because they are weapons? Or is it just part of their nature or is it a social thing? The show doesn't seem to clear this up.
    I'm not sure if it's a matter of being automatically obedient because they're weapons or if it's just because the characters who are weapons aren't particularly interesting or fleshed out. I'm leading towards the later option, but the show doesn't help make the matter clearer either.

Monte is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We've seen meisters and weapons come at odds with each other plenty of times. Soul and Maka having issues with eachother was a whole subplot for their characters earlier in the series; Patty is easy going, but Liz is often in Kid's face about his obsessions. Stein and Spirit also do not get along well at all; that is until their in combat then both of them are strictly professional. Tsubaki is the only one that seems to never argue with her meister. Some of the others never really get fleshed out enough to really understand their relationships... though in the manga you do get a lot more detail on realtionship between kim and Jackie... Not to mention we saw the opposite with Crona and Ragnarok with the meister being the pushover

Stein actually did briefly go over why some of these partnerships work the way they do when he looked at their souls. Tsubaki and Black star works because she's a pushover; Black Star has such an ego that it seems like the only one he could work well with is with someone who won't get in his way and will just happily accept the way things are... With Liz, Patty and Kid; Liz and patty hold Kid to a certain level of admiration since he was the one who took them off the streets, and Liz and Patty help Kid by quieting his obsessive tendencies. Stein however did observe that Maka and Soul did not quite sync up and this is what turned into their falling out later in the series. The two seemed to get along well enough and work together, but their personalities would cause a rift between them when presented an extreme situation like their encounter with Crona

In a way a lot of it comes down to compatibility which is not so simple to define, since their are many different ways people can be compatible with each other. They work well together and/or balance each other out. In sense, they work together because they don't argue; atleast to the extant that any difference they might have they are willing to put them aside to work together... if they argued more often it would be a sign that they are not compatible with each other. In order to work together and Meister and Weapon must be able to sync up their soul wave length, and how compatible the two are may play a big role in how easy that is to do... Though Stein is a notable exception to this since he has been said to be able to match up with anyone; which is unusual

I might even suspect that's part of why Blackstar could not use soul; they either unable or unwilling to match up their soul wave lengths. Even though the two get along really well, Soul has an ego of his own; if they disagree on something then nothing will get done as we'd have two egotistical idiots butting heads. Blackstar and Soul each march to a beat of a different drum. I might guess the way things work between Blackstar and Tsubaki is that BlackStar does whatever he wants and Tsubaki just adjusts her wave length to match his. I wouldn't be surprised If Tsubaki was also able to match up with anyone like Stein due to how accepting she is
    Last edited by Monte; 02-11-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, the whole Black Star sub-plot was pretty lame. Honestly, I don't hate Black Star, though; at the very least, his fights are fun to watch.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    Yeah, the whole Black Star sub-plot was pretty lame. Honestly, I don't hate Black Star, though; at the very least, his fights are fun to watch.
    The best parts about his fights are how he usually is beaten up pretty badly at some point. I'm sure that I'm suppose to care that he got injured, but since I hate him so much and his attitude throughout this episode basically reinforced why I find him so unlikable, seeing him lose was quite satisfying.

Scrappy-Fan92 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ouch, the Black Star hate is strong here. He can be obnoxious, but I don't want the guy dead. Besides, Stein isn't necessarily what I'd call a paragon of friendliness, but everyone still deals with him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy-Fan92 View Post
    Ouch, the Black Star hate is strong here. He can be obnoxious, but I don't want the guy dead. Besides, Stein isn't necessarily what I'd call a paragon of friendliness, but everyone still deals with him.
    Stein isn't really friendly either and the whole cutting up people before was pretty creepy, but he's generally okay for me. His subplot with the madness did help to make him a bit more interesting, despite how much they dragged it on and how quickly it was resolved. Black Star has no redeeming quality in my opinion and I see no reason why I should cheer him on, especially in this fight in particular. He doesn't care about the madness affecting the world or trying to stop the villains. All he cares about is beating Mifune and surpassing god. He doesn't even care about using his skills to help people or anything like that that. If the flashbacks to his father are any indication, he's one step away from becoming a villain with this kind of attitude. If he had any likable qualities to him, I might care that he's so close to following his father's path, but he has none in my opinion and it isn't like he went from begin a kind character who got too caught up in trying to prove himself. He's always been like this. He's just way too obnoxious and arrogant for me to care about and he is an absolutely horrible character in my opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3