toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
Loading

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Anyone remember this? Toonami on Kids' WB?

    Like This Thread!
    I just a random thought about this rip-off block out of the blue, even if the company told them to air it on Kids' WB.... Either way I thought it was an average type of weekday block (at the time). i'm only stating that, it was an average block because of my age demographic that I was in, I was 10-11 and I liked a couple of shows on it. However I had watched both of Kids' WB's version and the regular Toonami version - and guess what I watched more? What? The Cartoon Network version. Yes; I didn't know that this would happened... First I had watched Kids' WB for the first hour, maybe the full duration of time, and I had went on over to Cartoon Network for Toonami, before all of this happened. Secondly I think that Kids' WB was effected dramatically because of this block, and this was one of their downfalls.

    I remember when it had originally started when they had on Batman Beyond and Pokemon, and Dragonball Z (for an entire week). I was "surprised" by Dragonball Z being on the block for an entire week... yeah, its Toonami... What did you expect? My Little Pony? You cannot have any Dragonball show without mentioning Toonami, it doesn't work. Batman Beyond was okay on Toonami, and Pokemon was your Kids' WB version of DBZ on Toonami, because of how much they aired and had promoted it; the same applies with Yu-Gi-Oh!.... well, later on though, however.

    Regarding the block, the announcer is your stereotypical announcer where he overemphasizes his voice to be loud for no sake, whatsoever - Kids' WB announcer's is no exception. The block was trying too hard to be a Toonami even if it wasn't a Toonami block, it was just a generic block that the network told them to do so. The block, if I can remember, with their opening: it had originally started with the Absolution traveling in "hyperspace," and they had thought of something sweet... they had made a another portal that was only for Kids' WB... there was no special Toonami opening. None. There were no game reviews, no special openings, no "action" bumpers (save for Pokemon, if I can fully remember), and no SARA... that's another downfall to Kids' WB version... and a ******** one, if that. The openings were annoying as hell.
    Cartoon Network and Time Warner didn't try on Kids' WB version of Toonami. I guess, they had figured that it was ******** as well.

    In conclusion, Kids' WB was only for people who didn't have any form of cable/satellite and for people who didn't handle the violent version of Toonami, to be perfectly honest. Kids' WB should've had SARA, tried on their block (promos, bumpers, and schedule), and not have American cartoons be the central focus of the block - the block is called Toonami - a tidal wave of action cartoons, they should have more anime.... Just wondering, did they have Toonami on Kids' WB on Saturdays? Just wondering.... Finally, thank god, it had only lasted 11 months....

  2. #2
    Lord Dalek's Avatar
    Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dalek Empire
    Posts
    19,721
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nobody should.... it was just a random thought. I just to see what people would think, say, or have a memory from it. That is all.

  4. #4
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    17,290
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I remember this and I did watch it, but I think only for Pokemon and Batman Beyond. I'm not sure if they had Yu-Gi-Oh! DM airing on the Kids' WB version of Toonami, but if they did, I watched it for that too. I'm pretty sure it was only for their weekday afternoon lineup and not for their Saturday block, although I could be wrong there. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Toonami, so I don't think I had much of a problem with the Kids' WB version. This was back when Kids' WB shows would often find their way to Cartoon Network frequently and I think it was during Toonami's prime time of popularity, so trying out a Toonami version of Kids' WB kind of made sense in regard to the relationship between the two channels. I can see why it wouldn't be too appealing to most others and especially why the Toonami crew didn't quite like it. Personally, I didn't really care since I wanted to watch reruns of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! DM and other shows that I enjoyed on Kids' WB, regardless of the bumpers they had to be more like Toonami.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I remember this and I did watch it, but I think only for Pokemon and Batman Beyond. I'm not sure if they had Yu-Gi-Oh! DM airing on the Kids' WB version of Toonami, but if they did, I watched it for that too. I'm pretty sure it was only for their weekday afternoon lineup and not for their Saturday block, although I could be wrong there. I wasn't a huge fan of the original Toonami, so I don't think I had much of a problem with the Kids' WB version. This was back when Kids' WB shows would often find their way to Cartoon Network frequently and I think it was during Toonami's prime time of popularity, so trying out a Toonami version of Kids' WB kind of made sense in regard to the relationship between the two channels. I can see why it wouldn't be too appealing to most others and especially why the Toonami crew didn't quite like it. Personally, I didn't really care since I wanted to watch reruns of Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! DM and other shows that I enjoyed on Kids' WB, regardless of the bumpers they had to be more like Toonami.
    Since I was at the time, I was a fan of the weekday Toonami version on Cartoon Network, I thought it would affect my shows that I would watch at that current period, especially considering I didn't like what they would do Toonami's shows from Cartoon Network. it didn't, thank you! However I understood why they did what they did with their first week of Toonami on Kids' WB with Dragonball Z because they NEEDED to air it, or else, it would've have failed dramatically and it was a terrible experiment. The WB, they themselves, needed to incorporate the fans, profit margins, merchandise, and viewers to this block to make Kids' WB have more of a longevity... I think it should have had more Kids' WB shows to be perfectly honest - and only Kids' WB shows to add to the mix. They should have not add shows automatically from the license of Time Warner to be in play here with WB and Cartoon Network and importing/exporting shows left and right. I thought Toonami's Kids' WB would last a complete month, maybe two months tops; not 11 months!! 11 MONTHS... wow.
    Last edited by Joshua Dierickx; 01-18-2014 at 05:25 PM.

  6. #6
    Daikun's Avatar
    Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dierickx View Post
    Regarding the block, the announcer is your stereotypical announcer where he overemphasizes his voice to be loud for no sake, whatsoever - Kids' WB announcer's is no exception.
    That would be Jim Cummings. He's truly a legendary voiceover and he has a very impressive resume.

    The ill-fated AOL Time Warner merger is to blame for that travesty. The merger was so expensive ($164 billion!!!) that it caused a major stock drop, which forced the management to remove Turner from his pedestal (he was the majority stockholder, so the costs were too high to keep him there) and replace him with The WB's chairman, Jamie Kellner. He had an interesting idea for network synergy where The WB and the Turner networks would exchange programming and advertising. Unfortunately, this deal unfairly favored The WB, hence why Kids' WB! had the Toonami branding for a while. Thankfully, it flopped miserably. Kellner would leave the empire in 2003 and The WB and Turner were unmerged, although KWB continued to have an influence over Cartoon Network.

    Looking back on the merger over a decade later, it really wasn't that bad. Despite the stupid changes the management had brought forth at the time, CN managed to air a lot of KWB's really good and critically acclaimed shows. There was also the corporate synergy with CN and WB, which we could certainly use more of today. Do we really want the network to have to license Looney Tunes from their own company?

  7. #7
    DonkeyKongSong's Avatar
    DonkeyKongSong is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,786
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember them airing non-action shows on it like Detention! and Scooby-Doo as well. The Wiki article said it lasted around June 2001 to July 2002, so I'm pretty sure Yu-Gi-Oh! did air on it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikun View Post
    That would be Jim Cummings. He's truly a legendary voiceover and he has a very impressive resume.

    The ill-fated AOL Time Warner merger is to blame for that travesty. The merger was so expensive ($164 billion!!!) that it caused a major stock drop, which forced the management to remove Turner from his pedestal (he was the majority stockholder, so the costs were too high to keep him there) and replace him with The WB's chairman, Jamie Kellner. He had an interesting idea for network synergy where The WB and the Turner networks would exchange programming and advertising. Unfortunately, this deal unfairly favored The WB, hence why Kids' WB! had the Toonami branding for a while. Thankfully, it flopped miserably. Kellner would leave the empire in 2003 and The WB and Turner were unmerged, although KWB continued to have an influence over Cartoon Network.

    Looking back on the merger over a decade later, it really wasn't that bad. Despite the stupid changes the management had brought forth at the time, CN managed to air a lot of KWB's really good and critically acclaimed shows. There was also the corporate synergy with CN and WB, which we could certainly use more of today. Do we really want the network to have to license Looney Tunes from their own company?
    Wait, wait, this had costed the company well-over $164 billion to air Toonami on Kids' WB? o.o

    I thought Toonami on Kids' WB was a failure on my behalf to be perfectly honest with you, because 1) they couldn't provide the suitable environment for what Toonami was supposed to be as a result, 2) programming, 3) lack of advertisement from the network [WB], and 4) it wasn't right at the moment... even if Toonami was its peak on television.

    I think that Looney Tunes is a good venture and a well-admitted programming on Turner's behalf, it is also a great commodity for Cartoon Network. Sure, the network and Turner did run the **** out, or did air it up the ass since the network had began on October 1, 1992 (including when they were on TNT and TBS at that period of time). You cannot be talking about what Naruto and Dragonball Z did with the network entirely, back in the period of 2000-2003 (DBZ); 2005-2007 (Naruto) - I think it got a little tedious. Yes; they had gave them high amounts of profit margins, merchandise sold, and so on and so forth with those two, but the network has to think has to think about of the future rather than stay in the past or the present. I'm not going to admit that I was young at the time when DBZ had premiered and it was currently having new episodes aired but I can tell when it was getting repetitive, especially when they were on the weekday Toonami, TMR, Rising Sun, and Super Saturdays. They were on 4 blocks for Toonami, well, not all at the same time, but you get my drift, however. The same applies to Naruto when it was on Toonami (once every Saturdays), weekdays on Miguzi (it wasn't included because it had ratings such as TV-PG or TV-14), and weeknights. Looney Tunes, yes, it can get redundant but it gets the purpose of what the network stands for: cartoons. Cartoon Network is meant childish cartoons with no positive messages whatsoever, Cartoon Network isn't meant for cartoons who are beyond the rating of TV-Y7-FV (if you believe in ratings) - Looney Tunes fits it because it has been on the network since the network was into fruition; the same applies with DBZ on Toonami, and Pokemon with Kids' WB.

  9. #9
    Daikun's Avatar
    Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dierickx View Post
    Wait, wait, this had costed the company well-over $164 billion to air Toonami on Kids' WB? o.o
    No, it cost $164 billion to merge AOL with Time Warner. The stock dropped drastically as a result. In order to cut costs and save money, Ted Turner had to be removed from his position, and they temporarily merged The WB Network with Turner Broadcasting so they could afford to pay one television unit instead of two separate ones.

    Using his newfound promotion as head of both The WB and Turner Broadcasting, Jamie Kellner decided to merge CN with Kids' WB.

  10. #10
    Peter Paltridge's Avatar
    Peter Paltridge is online now It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stars Hollow
    Posts
    16,901
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    We shouldn't call it Toonami because it was that in name only. It was just the shows they would have run anyway, regardless of what branding they were under.

    They did manage a deal that let them run DBZ for two weeks and Sailor Moon for one, but it was short-lived and for promotion only.

    The promos were also handled by a different team. As someone else mentioned, the Kids WB Toonami was bright and loud, where the CN Toonami was cool and subdued.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: Feature cartoons are BACK! It's a whole new season with the continuation of Love That Winnie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO