toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    Rather dry humor indeed. Enjoyed it a bit, but wasn't quite laughing out loud. It's well done animation and dialogue, but the humor needs more spirit.

And like any other cliched Space Opera, the Stromtroopers are all bad shots.

I suppose that's why I like the series, it riffs off old school pulp fiction. It's all here, every single old and new trope in Space Opera, and being affectionately mocked.
    I can see the jokes for the tropes in Space Opera, but none of it really clicks. I agree that the humor needs more spirit and maybe then it would be more enjoyable as a comedy series.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    It's funny that the characters not Dandy or Meow of Betelgeuse have more fascinating aspects. I suppose it's because they're not caricatures of Sci-fi heroes. The wormhole travel look a bit like Kickheart style for a second or so.

Some have pointed out that it seems to follow a pattern to Bebop or Samurai Sampolo - a few episodes to set up the characters before the real stuff comes in. Since Dandy is a comedy, I'm not sure if the production team will take the same path, but who knows. It may be by episode 4 before we get to see anything substantial if at all.
    Honey doesn't really have much of any interesting going for her either, but so far, she's just here to provide fanservice. Taking a few episodes to setup the characters before getting into the main plot is fine and all, but it would be nice if the main cast was more interesting as a result of this setup. Granted, we're only two episodes in, but after all that buildup, I was still expecting something different. I'm not sure if we are going the same route as Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo either given that Dandy is more of a comedy, but I'll see where we are in a few episodes.

Narukami07 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I'm not sure if we are going the same route as Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo either given that Dandy is more of a comedy, but I'll see where we are in a few episodes.
    It won't. That's been guaranteed since Day 1, since Watanabe commented on how viewers shouldn't take the show seriously at all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Narukami07 View Post
    It won't. That's been guaranteed since Day 1, since Watanabe commented on how viewers shouldn't take the show seriously at all.
    Ah, I was not aware that he made that statement. That does weakens the possibility of this show going anywhere interesting story-wise, which would be unfortunate given how much build-up there was for it. I'll still give it a few episodes more and see if it offers up something besides good animation. It hasn't really done that yet, but it's only two episodes in right now.

TheCtes is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's a shame. I think there might be something with the Commodore or we at least get to know why he's after Dandy though.

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did they recycle animation from Cowboy Bebop for Scarlet's fight scene? I could swear I've seen this copied directly from Bebop.

Also, the sound mix seemed a bit sloppy this episode, at least near the end of it. The music in the wormhole dimension was so loud that I could barely hear the dialogue.

Cartoon X is offline Lum the Forever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    It felt like one of those bizzaro-episodes of Cowboy Bebop with a bit of Urusei Yatsura-spontaneity thrown in.
    Funnily enough, Meow's comments on the quality of ramen throughout the episode reminded me a lot of that one ramen-focused episode of Urusei Yatsura (episode 99, I believe).

I do think the humor in this show does seem like a mix of the Urusei Yatsura anime and Level E, though wit Bebop's style and action glazed over it. I can dig that, myself. Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode (on the first watch, this time!) myself, though I only found the first half of the episode truly funny, but enjoyed the second half well a lot too even so. Next episode promises a focus on fanservice. I hate fanservice. And I don't feel that the fanservice in the show so far has been parodical like in Kill la Kill, but the kind I've seen pulled before in many a anime. An episode focused on it doesn't sound pleasant for me, but I have enough trust in the crew and enjoy the show enough so far to give it the benefit of the doubt, and hopefully it'll surprise me.
    Aspiring Animator. A Toonami Faithful since January 2005, and proud fan of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since October 2005. Wig Out. Stay Gold.

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Probably not serious stuff, but it doesn't mean it won't some sort of ongoing theme or plot to explore.

But then again, it could just go the Galaxy Angel route, and just be random Hitchhiker's Guide hijinks.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Gold Guy is online now This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not a great episode, but better than the last one.

Scarlet was really cool. I really hope they don't wreck her later
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Neo-god is online now Moonrider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Have to take back what I said earlier, this show is kind of terrible. It's the worst combination of low brow modern Cartoon Network humor and ecchi anime. I just can't believe we're getting this from Watanabe, it's not anywhere near as nuanced or slick as his other stuff.

Narukami07 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think its that terrible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    While I don't think that the show is that terrible either, at least at this point, I can see why others might feel this way. Considering all the buildup this show had for its premiere and the creative team behind it, people might have had higher expectations for the show besides good animation. I'd still be willing to give the show at least a couple of more episodes since we're just two episodes in, but I could see why some people might not be too thrilled with the show at this point too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think the show is bad...yet, but I expect better things later.

- Izzy, Digimon

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Honestly I'm just enjoying the ride. I like the shows energy, and while the characters may not be a "cool" as the Bebop cast I don't find them completely unlikeable. I personally think a lot of the fan base is overreacting and setting expectations on the show that was never promised to us.
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

WickedChild is online now Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope people aren't holding their breath for some serious plot here. There may be a story arc of some kind but it'll probably be more in the vein of Tenchi GXP where it's mostly silly humor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    I hope people aren't holding their breath for some serious plot here. There may be a story arc of some kind but it'll probably be more in the vein of Tenchi GXP where it's mostly silly humor.
    I think that the first episode made it clear that the chances of a serious plot are pretty slim at best. Being anything like GXP is really not a good approach in my opinion, although I did get that impression when they were using that gag of Meow saying that they found them by a lucky guess three or four times in a row. At least the humor hasn't been painfully unfunny yet and the animation is worlds better than what GXP had. It still hasn't done much for me character wise, but it has only been two episodes so far too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O-chan View Post
    Honestly I'm just enjoying the ride. I like the shows energy, and while the characters may not be a "cool" as the Bebop cast I don't find them completely unlikeable. I personally think a lot of the fan base is overreacting and setting expectations on the show that was never promised to us.
    Indeed, Dandy and Meow have their flaws, but they're not agnsty, grim, depressing, or sickening (like the crew of the new Battlestar Galactica). Instead, like the crew of Red Dwarf, there's enough charm and self-parodying humor that makes them entertaining yet not annoying.
    He is Risen.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, for a real likeable sci-fi cast, watch Martian Successor Nadesico. Now that is a real crew.

- Izzy, Digimon

Neo-god is online now Moonrider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I knew from the trailer that this wasn't going to be Cowboy Bebop, but I didn't expect it to be Tenchi GXP either, which is why I suppose I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to a Watanabe show that's supposedly aimed at being inclusive to western audiences, but I'm not really sure who this is suppose to appeal to. It's like they just took Bebop, but instead of Spike Spiegel, it stars Johnny Bravo in an Elvis hairdo, and they go hunting for harmless creatures instead of dangerous fugitives. It's clearly not aimed at children what with it being on Adult Swim and featuring "boobies" but at the same time there's so much over-exposition and spoon feeding (the opposite of Bebop) that I'm not sure who they're aiming it at then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo-god View Post
    I knew from the trailer that this wasn't going to be Cowboy Bebop, but I didn't expect it to be Tenchi GXP either, which is why I suppose I'm disappointed. I was looking forward to a Watanabe show that's supposedly aimed at being inclusive to western audiences, but I'm not really sure who this is suppose to appeal to. It's like they just took Bebop, but instead of Spike Spiegel, it stars Johnny Bravo in an Elvis hairdo, and they go hunting for harmless creatures instead of dangerous fugitives. It's clearly not aimed at children what with it being on Adult Swim and featuring "boobies" but at the same time there's so much over-exposition and spoon feeding (the opposite of Bebop) that I'm not sure who they're aiming it at then.
    Probably Sci-fi nerds. So far, the anime is a love letter to all the cooky space adventures that the crew of the Galaxy Express would be all to familiar with.
    He is Risen.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5