toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
Loading

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 48 of 48
  1. #41
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,807
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

    I thought that this was a pretty boring episode. I still couldn't care less about this Salamander army challenging another race. The conflict between the different races is just not presented in an interesting way at all for me, so this fight against the army's leader wouldn't really change that either. While the animation during the fight was pretty good, it continued to make Kirito look like a huge Gary Stu for taking down what I believed they described one of, if not the strongest player in the game. I forgot that his powers in the other game was fighting with two swords, although I think we could have done without having that look up Leafa's skirt. So, that one fight seemingly resolved that conflict that I couldn't care about, which came off as a bit too easy when they treated it as such a huge and serious problems.

    And did we really need the cat girl and the leader hitting on Kirito, especially when they were focusing on their bodies in a fairly uncomfortable manner? I didn't even understood why they were hitting on him like that to begin with. He isn't really attractive in the slightest and he's pretty bland personality wise, so I don't see how practically every female character he comes across is attracted to him. He defeated a strong opponent with his Gary Stu powers, but that wasn't really enough to make their behavior believable or tolerable, especially when they had to throw in the awkward moment of Leafa trying to stop them without admitting her feelings, which just adds in more awkwardness when she is developing more feelings for her cousin. Kirito's smooth move with Leafa later also made me question how so many girls could fall for him. Seriously, saying that you don't see a girl as a girl to explain why you get along so well is one of the easiest ways to make them upset and yet he's apparently charming enough to the point where girls throw themselves at him.

    Asuna breaking out of her cell was at least better than yet another creepy scene with molesting her, but I doubt that it's going to lead anywhere. Overall, it was a pretty boring episode. The whole conflict with the Salamanders felt like a detour from the plot and not a particularly interesting one at that. The fight was just Kirito overpowering his opponent with his Gary Stu powers and I continue to question how someone like him could attract so many girls. At least there's only a few episodes left.

  2. #42
    Hypeathon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    And did we really need the cat girl and the leader hitting on Kirito, especially when they were focusing on their bodies in a fairly uncomfortable manner? I didn't even understood why they were hitting on him like that to begin with. He isn't really attractive in the slightest and he's pretty bland personality wise, so I don't see how practically every female character he comes across is attracted to him.
    At this point, I don't think it's wrong to say that Sword Art Online and so many other anime shows past and present are catering to a young male audience by being "wink wink, nudge nudge" about it. One of the things I unfortunately hear more and more in fandom is the argument that this is all a fantasy for viewers and so many shows like these are meant to depict such for them. So the idea of a guy being able to kick-ass and be the dependent hero and get all the ladies wooing over him (a.k.a: a harem), that's all male fantasy.

    What's kills me about this is that people use this as if it's a legitimate argument for fiction. To me there's a difference between being fictional where not everything has to be realistic and fictional to the point where you say the show is providing a fantasy for whatever specific audience you target at the expense of attempting to responsibly tell a story. It doesn't matter to me if the target audience is young adult men, women or kids or how a show targets one of those audiences.

  3. #43
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,807
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypeathon View Post
    At this point, I don't think it's wrong to say that Sword Art Online and so many other anime shows past and present are catering to a young male audience by being "wink wink, nudge nudge" about it. One of the things I unfortunately hear more and more in fandom is the argument that this is all a fantasy for viewers and so many shows like these are meant to depict such for them. So the idea of a guy being able to kick-ass and be the dependent hero and get all the ladies wooing over him (a.k.a: a harem), that's all male fantasy.

    What's kills me about this is that people use this as if it's a legitimate argument for fiction. To me there's a difference between being fictional where not everything has to be realistic and fictional to the point where you say the show is providing a fantasy for whatever specific audience you target at the expense of attempting to responsibly tell a story. It doesn't matter to me if the target audience is young adult men, women or kids or how a show targets one of those audiences.
    I can see how it's a wish fulfillment fantasy for the male audience, but it seems so poorly done when there's really nothing to make it believable within the context of the show. If there was something about Kirito's personality being more appealing, then maybe developing a harem wouldn't be as ridiculous as it actually is. Although, I guess doing that would also make it more difficult for people to insert themselves in Kirito's role, but it would at least be something. They are choosing to provide a fantasy for a particular audience at the expense of telling a good story and I agree that it is a problem. It weakens what could have been a decent story with lackluster characters and poor writing.

  4. #44
    Gatomon41's Avatar
    Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Verge of Total Chaos
    Posts
    8,572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that this was a pretty boring episode. I still couldn't care less about this Salamander army challenging another race. The conflict between the different races is just not presented in an interesting way at all for me, so this fight against the army's leader wouldn't really change that either. While the animation during the fight was pretty good, it continued to make Kirito look like a huge Gary Stu for taking down what I believed they described one of, if not the strongest player in the game. I forgot that his powers in the other game was fighting with two swords, although I think we could have done without having that look up Leafa's skirt. So, that one fight seemingly resolved that conflict that I couldn't care about, which came off as a bit too easy when they treated it as such a huge and serious problems.
    For something that was built up last episode... it wasn't an interesting conclusion. Pretty, but ultimately brought down by pointless fanservice and politics.

    Really, I don't know how one can make such politics interesting in a show like this. It's focus is action, and we shouldn't be getting in depth that needs time and crafting.

    And did we really need the cat girl and the leader hitting on Kirito, especially when they were focusing on their bodies in a fairly uncomfortable manner? I didn't even understood why they were hitting on him like that to begin with. He isn't really attractive in the slightest and he's pretty bland personality wise, so I don't see how practically every female character he comes across is attracted to him. He defeated a strong opponent with his Gary Stu powers, but that wasn't really enough to make their behavior believable or tolerable, especially when they had to throw in the awkward moment of Leafa trying to stop them without admitting her feelings, which just adds in more awkwardness when she is developing more feelings for her cousin. Kirito's smooth move with Leafa later also made me question how so many girls could fall for him. Seriously, saying that you don't see a girl as a girl to explain why you get along so well is one of the easiest ways to make them upset and yet he's apparently charming enough to the point where girls throw themselves at him.
    Though this is an RPG, I really don't think stats would cause Player Characters to find him likable.

    The only other thing I can see is the air of Chivalry to Kirito. He jumps into a middle of a fight to save someone, despite the odds, and still win. Granted, it's not very believable storywise, but perhaps that sense of honor does something to get the girls.

    That, and duel welding and wearing black. Even if one is a bland uberprotagonist, those two things are always cool

    But overall, the fanservice does get tiredsome. At least it wasn't a full underskirt shot of Leefya, and just showed her thigh. At least there's some moderation, unlike certain other anime.

    Asuna breaking out of her cell was at least better than yet another creepy scene with molesting her, but I doubt that it's going to lead anywhere. Overall, it was a pretty boring episode. The whole conflict with the Salamanders felt like a detour from the plot and not a particularly interesting one at that. The fight was just Kirito overpowering his opponent with his Gary Stu powers and I continue to question how someone like him could attract so many girls. At least there's only a few episodes left.
    I don't get why the show needs to include scenes of Asuna and the Creeper. We got from the first couple of scenes that the guy is evil. We don't need to know the details.
    He is Risen.

    "Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

  5. #45
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,807
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    For something that was built up last episode... it wasn't an interesting conclusion. Pretty, but ultimately brought down by pointless fanservice and politics.

    Really, I don't know how one can make such politics interesting in a show like this. It's focus is action, and we shouldn't be getting in depth that needs time and crafting.
    It's especially difficult to make it engaging when the characters act like the conflict was a big deal, but it didn't provide any reason as to why the audience should care. If this show was better at characterization and world building, maybe they could have made the politic conflict a bit more interesting, but as it is, they really shouldn't have tried.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Though this is an RPG, I really don't think stats would cause Player Characters to find him likable.

    The only other thing I can see is the air of Chivalry to Kirito. He jumps into a middle of a fight to save someone, despite the odds, and still win. Granted, it's not very believable storywise, but perhaps that sense of honor does something to get the girls.

    That, and duel welding and wearing black. Even if one is a bland uberprotagonist, those two things are always cool

    But overall, the fanservice does get tiredsome. At least it wasn't a full underskirt shot of Leefya, and just showed her thigh. At least there's some moderation, unlike certain other anime.
    I can see the air of chivalry with stepping into a fight, but I still don't think that's a good enough reason for girls to throw themselves at him, especially two girls who he just met trying to seduce him to join their armies. It just comes off as ridiculously stupid and blatant male insert fantasy. Granted, multiple girls falling in love with him, including his own cousin, also screams blatant male insert fantasy, but that just really bothered me. I think it was partly because of how blatant it was with the fanservice and just how ridiculous it looked for female characters to throw themselves at a guy they just met. Showing Leafa's thigh was at least more controlled than most of their other fanservice moments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    I don't get why the show needs to include scenes of Asuna and the Creeper. We got from the first couple of scenes that the guy is evil. We don't need to know the details.
    I thought that after the second molestation scene with them. We got that he was the obvious villain in his debut and when he first appeared in the game. We didn't need a second appearance, although that was to setup Asuna learning the combination to escape too. Maybe they're trying to show that she isn't just a damsel in distress by having her attempt to escape on her own, which is at least is a nice idea in itself. It most likely won't change the fact that she is a damsel in distress, but I'll see how that plays out in the next episode.

  6. #46
    Monte's Avatar
    Monte is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Long island
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    It's especially difficult to make it engaging when the characters act like the conflict was a big deal, but it didn't provide any reason as to why the audience should care. If this show was better at characterization and world building, maybe they could have made the politic conflict a bit more interesting, but as it is, they really shouldn't have tried.
    Indeed, that is one of the major problems with this second half. Everyone takes things WAY more serious than it actually is and try to play up events like they are a big deal. Like with dying... In SAO, when you died in the game you died in real life so ya, dying and being saved from dying was indeed a big deal; Someone risks their life to save yours you better be thankful. But in fairy land the only death penalty is experience loss... really its nothing more than an inconvenience. If someone saves your life, its not really a big deal and a simple thanks should suffice. but in this show they'll ACT like its as serious as dying and give it just as much drama; but its not. The players you run into are not scary villainous murderers or villains; they are just gamers playing a game. When the enemy player gets the upper hand the players act like its the end to everything, when a more believble reaction would be one of annoyance at worst (or immature cursing). They take everything so seriously when there is nothing to be serious about. Its just a game

    Really Kirito is the ONLY person who should be taking the game serious since Asuna is in REAL danger... And even then he seems to be rather casual about everything. Honestly it seems more like the appropriate attitude he should have is one of indifference to what the players are going through. Why should he care about their games when he has a loved one to save? Really their squabbling is all rather petty compared to the reason why he is in the game. Even if he HAD to help them to attain his own goal, it seems like it would be something he would do begrudingly; something he feels like an chore and a detour in his way of his REAL mission. Heck it might have made Kirito a bit more of an interesting character... i mean while he might seem like a jerk for ignoring a request for help, he's at the same time right to do so since the person asking for help isn't in any REAL danger. There's quite a bit you can do with that

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I can see how it's a wish fulfillment fantasy for the male audience, but it seems so poorly done when there's really nothing to make it believable within the context of the show. If there was something about Kirito's personality being more appealing, then maybe developing a harem wouldn't be as ridiculous as it actually is. Although, I guess doing that would also make it more difficult for people to insert themselves in Kirito's role, but it would at least be something. They are choosing to provide a fantasy for a particular audience at the expense of telling a good story and I agree that it is a problem. It weakens what could have been a decent story with lackluster characters and poor writing.
    This is true. I personal do enjoy some harem series as they can be really funny. But there are good series and their are bad ones, and a good harem series would characterize their characters and their relationships better. People don't just fall in love with the protagonist at the drop of a hat; there's usually more reason for it. While it might seem unbelieveble that a single character could get that much attention, if handled well you will find it believable enough why they would all like him so much. Really this is part of why i HATED Tenchi GXP; not only did i find it unfunny, but i did not see any decent reason at all why anyone would love Seina the way they all did; Nothing in his personality, actions or even appearance seemed all that desirable. The woman in that series just seemed to love him for no reason at all, other than the plot demanded they did.

    SAO and Kirito fall into this as well. Women seem to fall in love with Kirito at the drop of a hat... and while it is a TAD more warranted than it was in GXP, its not enough. What's worse is that is a pointless addition. This is NOT a harem series; the main characters has a clear single love interest that is the focus of all his attention. Its really all just pointless fanservice.
    ________________________
    My Deviant art
    Webcomic Ascension

  7. #47
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    15,807
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte View Post
    Indeed, that is one of the major problems with this second half. Everyone takes things WAY more serious than it actually is and try to play up events like they are a big deal. Like with dying... In SAO, when you died in the game you died in real life so ya, dying and being saved from dying was indeed a big deal; Someone risks their life to save yours you better be thankful. But in fairy land the only death penalty is experience loss... really its nothing more than an inconvenience. If someone saves your life, its not really a big deal and a simple thanks should suffice. but in this show they'll ACT like its as serious as dying and give it just as much drama; but its not. The players you run into are not scary villainous murderers or villains; they are just gamers playing a game. When the enemy player gets the upper hand the players act like its the end to everything, when a more believble reaction would be one of annoyance at worst (or immature cursing). They take everything so seriously when there is nothing to be serious about. Its just a game
    That's a really good point. While I don't think that they handled the characters dying in real life angle that well, especially when they killed off characters so quickly without giving them much of a personality to make the audience feel bad, at least it made sense as to why they would make such a big deal about dying in the game in the first arc. The fate of a race, or any death for that matter, isn't a big deal in this game when it is just a game. They don't lose anything except some time, so they shouldn't try to play it up as such a big deal. It just comes off as forced drama. It still doesn't help that they didn't provide much of a reason here to care about the Salamanders attacking Leafa's race, especially when it wouldn't mean that they'd actually die.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    Really Kirito is the ONLY person who should be taking the game serious since Asuna is in REAL danger... And even then he seems to be rather casual about everything. Honestly it seems more like the appropriate attitude he should have is one of indifference to what the players are going through. Why should he care about their games when he has a loved one to save? Really their squabbling is all rather petty compared to the reason why he is in the game. Even if he HAD to help them to attain his own goal, it seems like it would be something he would do begrudingly; something he feels like an chore and a detour in his way of his REAL mission. Heck it might have made Kirito a bit more of an interesting character... i mean while he might seem like a jerk for ignoring a request for help, he's at the same time right to do so since the person asking for help isn't in any REAL danger. There's quite a bit you can do with that
    I have noticed that he acts pretty casual about everything. His demeanor is a bit too upbeat for someone who is in a hurry to get to the World Tree, particularly after he beats someone in a fight. Treating the fight with the Salamanders as a detour from his real mission, as it actually was, could have given him a bit more of a personality to make him more interesting. He might have come off as a jerk, but given the situation, it would be an understandable reaction too. They aren't in any real danger and he was doing it seemingly only to help Leafa out, but he didn't have any problem with losing time to go and rescue Asuna, who is actually in real danger. They could have used that angle to do more with his character so that he wouldn't be just the bland Gary Stu protagonist. Although, Sword Art Online in general seems like it is just wasted potential due to sloppy writing and poor characterizations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    This is true. I personal do enjoy some harem series as they can be really funny. But there are good series and their are bad ones, and a good harem series would characterize their characters and their relationships better. People don't just fall in love with the protagonist at the drop of a hat; there's usually more reason for it. While it might seem unbelieveble that a single character could get that much attention, if handled well you will find it believable enough why they would all like him so much. Really this is part of why i HATED Tenchi GXP; not only did i find it unfunny, but i did not see any decent reason at all why anyone would love Seina the way they all did; Nothing in his personality, actions or even appearance seemed all that desirable. The woman in that series just seemed to love him for no reason at all, other than the plot demanded they did.

    SAO and Kirito fall into this as well. Women seem to fall in love with Kirito at the drop of a hat... and while it is a TAD more warranted than it was in GXP, its not enough. What's worse is that is a pointless addition. This is NOT a harem series; the main characters has a clear single love interest that is the focus of all his attention. Its really all just pointless fanservice.
    I haven't seen too many harem series myself, but I can see how they could work with the right characterizations, writing and humor. GXP was certainly not a good harem series, even though I never saw the rest of it and I don't plan to ever do that, and I couldn't understand why Seina got so many girls. He was annoying with an unappealing generic design. The main things that Kirito has over him are a better design and the air of chivalry, but I agree that isn't enough, especially when girls seem to fall in love with him for no particular reason. Considering that Kirito does love Asuna and has no interest in any of the other female characters, it does seem rather strange that they'd add in all of this pointless fanservice with giving him a harem. With harem series, I think that they usually save characters ending up together for near the series, if they have characters getting together at all. It's like they wanted to create a harem series and an fantasy action series and decided to combine them together, despite the fact that they don't really click well here at all.

  8. #48
    Gold Guy's Avatar
    Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,119
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An okay episode. The fight at the beginning was really good, and the animation was top-notch.

    The second half was boring, and the flirting scene was annoying.

    At least Asuna escaped.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

    "What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
This community is listed in
the mega forums index project
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO