Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

C&C - Akira [12/20]

Like This Thread!

Toonami's 2014 Month of Movies continues with an encore presentation of Akira, one of the greatest anime films of all time.

The film takes place 31 years after World War III in a dystopian Neo-Tokyo where a power struggle ravages the city. A child involved in a top-secret conspiracy project breaks free from his captors and accidentally brings a motorcycle gang with him. One of the gang members, Tetsuo, is captured and has his mind imbued with psychic powers, which he then uses to wage a war against the city.

Enjoy the movie tonight at 1.5AM. Only Toonami.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dudley is offline <- Watch the cartoon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Ah Akira. I remember when I first watched it back around 2000/2001. It was the first R rated animated anything I've ever watched. And I couldn't sleep after watching it.
    One hand, the animation is fantastic, and it truly is one the greatest animated films ever made.
    On the other hand, I don't like it. It's a little dark for my taste.

Toons These Days
    Now on That Guy With the Glasses.com
    New episodes return December 16!

Website | Deviantart | Facebook | Twitter | Patreon |

Nobodyman is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The first time I saw Akira was way back in middle school, (also around 2001) when I watched it at a friend's house (the same friend who was responsible for helping me really get into anime and manga). I thought it was pretty confusing and the art style was kind of off-putting (it is a very gritty style) on my first viewing, but I've read the manga and rewatched the film once or twice since then and, yeah, it's a pretty solid movie with superb animation. Tonight, as with any rewatch, I'll see how it holds up now that I'm older and more experienced.

ShadowGUN is offline YES!YES!YES!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First time I saw Akira was at friend of my mom house when I was 8 years old . Her teenage daughter rent it and put it for me to watch while our mother talk. Surprising I enjoy the movie even at that age and to this day I don't remenber much of the violence but the beautiful animation and soundtrack. Later when I was in college I bought the DVD and it still as awesome as I remenber.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The soundtrack is one of the most unique in anime history. While on paper it sounds a lot like Naruto's score (traditional Japanese drumming, electric guitars and power drums, lots of electronics and Japanese chanting), the execution is much, much different than Naruto's. It's really hard to describe, but it's also quite beautiful and unquestionably Akira.

I am glad the 2001 dub is the one being run as well. Both dubs have their issues but the 2001 dub does a much better job of keeping the intent of the original version intact and also manages to keep the dialogue synced to the lip movements for the most part. The 2001 dub also has much better acting: Joshua Seth, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Wendee Lee do a good job of sounding age-appropriate and sound more "real" than the actors in the 1989 dub.

The real treat is in the visuals. Everyone is in for a feast for the eyes tonight. Few animated films on either side of the Pacific match Akira in raw fluidity, whether it is an explosion or a simple walking motion. Very, very few cut corners are present here.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I remember when the first Blu-Ray came out, I was blown away by the remastered audio on the Japanese track. The English track sounded the same as the old DVD and didn't sound nearly as good. Does the new Blu-Ray have the remastered audio for the English dub as well and will that be what we hear tonight?

I still wish we would get the Streamline dub tonight. I cringe every time I hear "AH-kee-lah" or "KAH-ne-dah" from someone with an American accent.

Does anyone have any experience with the Marvel released colorized issues of the Manga from the early 90s? I've read a part of the B&W omnibus, but I'm seriously considering Ebay-ing the colorized issues if I can find them. I've heard the color job was outstanding, but I'm worried, since it was so long ago before manga had more popular support here, that Marvel may have censored things or tried to kiddify it or at least tone it down some. I can't seem to get a straight answer on that.

Megumi is offline ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hesitant to stay up until 3 just for Akira. Saturday nights are the only time of the week I log in though. I'll see how I feel at showtime I suppose.

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay this movie is not for the faint of heart, there will be gore tonight. The most gore we have seen here since Deadman Wonderland.

ShamarDJ is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder when was the last time that this film has been on the air..

Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast