toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Favorite Adult Swim Shows?

Like This Thread!

If there is a similar thread feel free to merge this thread. So, I was interested in knowing what some of your favorite [as] shows are, I will name every single one of mine:

Big O
    I love Big O. The first season got everything right. Mecha combined with a film noir setting makes the show really fun to watch, and really gets me into a good mood. The second season wasn't as good, but was still solid in its own right until that awful ending. The awful ending wasn't enough for me to not make this show one of my favorites.

Cowboy Bebop
    Yes, although [adult swim] has somewhat overplayed the show, I do think it is an excellent show, with a great space western setting, great characters, the best music in any television show, and just a solid series. I'm a huge fan of the movie, as well.

Fullmetal Alchemist / Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    I have always had a hard time trying to pick which series I like best. Mostly because both series are just so good, as a whole. The first half of FMA is just top notch. They really get everything right. Though I thought they somewhat screwed up with the second half. For Brotherhood, it is the other way around. The show has too many comedic moments, but it gets really good within the second half, and it blows the first series' second half out of the water. Although they still included those lighthearted moments at the wrong time, so I don't know what series I like best.

Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
    Lots of creativity when it came to the creation of this show. The premise of allowing all these Hanna-Barbera characters being included in this world, and going to court, and being in the jury. It is all just too creative for me not to like it. Plus, the jokes in this one are really, really good.

Home Movies
    This is, perhaps, one of the greatest animated sitcoms of all time. It has such a solid premise, a great cast of characters, and the jokes hit way more times than they miss. Yes, season 4 you could tell they were starting to lose it, but I thought the fourth season was still pretty good. The conclusion to the show was really good, and overall, the show had a good run and they ended it at the right time.

Kikaider
    The show is not terribly well known, which is a shame. It starts out as a monster of the week series, but it delves into something more. The constant flashbacks was annoying, but in later episodes, it goes away, and "Frozen Bonds" is my favorite episode of any series, it is just perfect. The show's premise is a bit cliche, but its execution is really solid. The characters are great, the action is good, and the show has really good pacing. Wasn't too big of a fan of Kikaider 01, but it was alright.

Lupin the 3rd
    Okay, not only is Lupin a classic series, but it is also one of the best. The comedy matched with the action just leaves me in such awe with how well they handle it. Plus, I love the references to modern pop culture. Like in "Crude Reproduction, Perfect Frame" they mention Robert Downey Jr. and in "Rats to You" Jigen mentions EBay. Even though the show originally came out in the 70s. It makes me laugh. Plus, figuring out how Lupin and the gang are going to fool someone, or steal something, or escape from Zenigata, really just leaves me loving Lupin. The dub cast is also the best. No one could quite beat Dan Martin as Zenigata.

Mission Hill
    This is a short lived series that has left me hungry for more. I recently had started watching Mission Hill, as I saw it on the television guide many many times, but never actually watched it. Now that I have seen it, I can say it is excellent. The relationship between both the French brothers really is a relatable sibling relationship. The nerd humor is extremely appealing to me, and it really does a great job at reflecting life in the early 2000s. Highly recommended.

Samurai Champloo
    The hip-hop and samurai elements, make this show so creative, and so well done. If Space Dandy's comedy is anything like in this show, it will be excellent. The "Baseball Blues" episode is some of the best comedy in an action anime, and the show also delivers well with serious scenes as well. The ending is also extremely satisfying, as it doesn't try a terrible cliffhanger, or an ending that is just idiotic, but rather just a good ending to a good series.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast
    It is the first [as] show, and is one of my favorites. It was such a creative premise for its time, with solid jokes, and the characters in the show have become so iconic for [as], and for myself as well. My favorite interview still is the Michael Stipe interview, when he mentions how he hates "Shiny Happy People". Too funny.

The Venture Bros.
    How can I not love The Venture Bros.? Tons of action, solid jokes, character building moments, continuity. It is the kind of cartoon I would want to make (although mine would have less sexual content). The Hanna-Barbera parellels to Scooby-Doo and Jonny Quest also make me really appreciate it, too. Between this and Home Movies, I am not sure which of the two is my favorite [adult swim] original.

Trigun
    Vash the Stampede is one of the best main characters in an anime series. He can transition between being a series character and being a goofy character so easily and so smoothly, that it makes the show so fun to watch. Plus the show contains gun-slinging action, great supporting characters, a great antagonist, and great music.

Witch Hunter Robin
    This show is extremely hated, and I understand the complaints, yet I find myself liking this show a lot. It starts out with the monster-of-the-week (like Kikaider), and I did like the stories. I liked the characters, but what I really loved was the atmosphere. The dark, creepy tone of the show really gave it an edge. The characters were memorable to an extent, and the middle section of the show was excellent (Loaded Guns, Time to Say Goodbye). Overall, a solid show.

Wolf's Rain
    I have sang this show's praises on many sites, and I will continue to do so. A sad show, with excellent characters, a great premise, great music (Yoko Kanno can do no wrong), tons of drama, a few really good action scenes, and an ending that has left me still thinking about the show, really, this might be my favorite anime of all time.

CartoonFridays is offline Promoted to detective.
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Robot Chicken is my fave
    Young lady, I'm an expert on humans!

vegeta95748 is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If we're talking strictly Adult Swim (i.e. shows produced by them), then my favorites are Robot Chicken and Aqua Teen Hunger Force

If we're including everything, in addition to the two above, I enjoy older eps. of Family Guy, American Dad, 2003 FMA, Eureka 7, and Code Geass.
    THE NARUTO EPISODE TRACKER

Total Episodes To Watch: 99 Canon, 172 Total

Episodes So Far: 69

Lord Mawdryn is offline Board Bad Boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mine in no particular order:

Bleach
    Full Metal Alchemist
    The Boondocks
    Eureka 7
    Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Blood+
    Robot Chicken
    Neon Genesis Evangelion

"Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe..."

Nobodyman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, adult swim has had a lot of great shows over the years. But as far as my favorites go:

-Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    -Sealab 2021
    -Space Ghost Coast to Coast
    -Home Movies
    -The Boondocks
    -Robot Chicken
    -The Venture Bros
    -Moral Orel
    -FLCL
    -Cowboy Bebop
    -Durarara
    -Death Note
    -Fullmetal Alchemist (both series)
    -Paranoia Agent
    -Samurai Champloo

Radical is online now The Face of Evilness & Sadism!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My top favorite Adult Swim shows as much as I enjoyed Adult Swim over the years,

Space Ghost Coast to Coast
    Home Movies
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force/Unit Patrol Squad 1/Something You Know Whatever/TV Show Show
    Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
    The Venture Brothers
    Robot Chicken
    The Boondocks
    Moral Orel
    King of the Hill
    Baby Blues
    Futurama
    The Oblongs
    American Dad!
    The Drinky Crow Show
    Titan Maximum
    The Cleveland Show
    Black Dynamite
    Bob's Burgers
    Rick and Morty
    Cowboy Bebop
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Pilot Candidate
    Trigun
    FLCL/Fooly Cooly
    Blue Gender
    Witch Hunter Robin
    Case Closed
    Read Or Die
    Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex/2nd GIG
    Paranoia Agent
    s-CRY-ed
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Bleach
    Shin Chan
    Trinity Blood
    Blood+
    Death Note
    Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion/R2
    Kekkaishi
    Durarara!!

All of them were pretty awesome/enjoyable with has sweet comedy/action/drama/nice plots/great storylines/cool fight scenes with all great likable heroes/supporting characters/best villains as much as The Monarch, Molotov, and Phantom Limb/Bender, Richard Nixon's Head, and Roberto/Stan Smith,Roger Smith the Alien,and Principal Brian Lewis/Lieutenant Vronchy/Lt. Junior Grade Sasha Caylo(she's really evil/sadistic!!!)/Frank Smith,Crystal Peppers,and The Mayor(China, IL)/Vicious/Millions Knives & Legato/Haruko(surprising that she's evil/manipulative/selfish, cool)/Tony(Blue Gender)/Father, King Bradley, Lust, and Solf Kimblee/The Laughing Man & Kazundo Goda/Sosuke Aizen, Barragan, and Muramasa/Diva, Amshell, and Van/Byaku & Kaguro/Izaya & Haruna were all my favorite awesome Adult Swim villains ever for their great evil/cruel moments.The sloppy character designs in Shin Chan didn't bother me though which I find them so funny, hehehe.
    Last edited by Radical; 01-29-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneHungryHippo View Post
    Witch Hunter Robin
    This show is extremely hated, and I understand the complaints, yet I find myself liking this show a lot. It starts out with the monster-of-the-week (like Kikaider), and I did like the stories. I liked the characters, but what I really loved was the atmosphere. The dark, creepy tone of the show really gave it an edge. The characters were memorable to an extent, and the middle section of the show was excellent (Loaded Guns, Time to Say Goodbye). Overall, a solid show.
    I actually don't get why people disliked the show. It was atmospheric, the voices were well done, the plot interesting, and the protagonist is Haruka from FLCL.

Granted, it wasn't action packed as other shows on the block, but it's not the only show that lacked that aspect.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila