toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    animePWNS is online now Finally on VC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

C&C - FLCL - Series Talkback

Like This Thread!

I didn't see one put up yet, so I decided to. It's the Toonami premiere after all, and a little past the tenth anniversary of its first American airing.

Episode 1: Fooly Cooly
    Naota's ordinary life is interrupted when Haruka hits him on the head with her guitar. Crazy s*** happens.

Stephanie Sheh as Mamimi, playing a girl who kept showing her panties before moving on to big breasts on Bleach.

Bullet time!

And Steven Blum in a minor role.

MANGA SCENE!
    Last edited by animePWNS; 11-02-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    Oh, hai, Adult Swim.
    1/4/10: Reached 1000th post milestone
    4/1/12: Thanks to Adult Swim and Toonami, this date will live on as: Best. April. Fools. Day. Ever.
    6/3/12: 2000 posts

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keep in mind folks... Naota is voiced by Rita Replusa.

And here's Lucca talking to a cat. So meta.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Haruko plays bass, it looks like.

So who "never knows best" anyway?

First Mamimi panty shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    Keep in mind folks... Naota is voiced by Rita Replusa.
    And once again, she's getting SUCH A HEADACHE!!!
    Oh, hai, Adult Swim.
    4/1/12: Thanks to Adult Swim and Toonami, this date will live on as: Best. April. Fools. Day. Ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "NO. I MuSTre-spect his BROther's privacy!"

And Kari Whalgren is channeling Capt. Kirk here.

Nothing happens here.

Only in Japan a giant robot and a violent alien is considered normal.
    He is Risen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And TV Boy is part of the family.

Ride on Shooting Star!

And Haruka talks about the many incarnations of Game Boy, long before 3DS hit the scene.
    Oh, hai, Adult Swim.

Mr. Anime is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by animePWNS View Post
    And Haruka talks about the many incarnations of Game Boy, long before 3DS hit the scene.
    Since this is coming directly off the heels of Sword Art Online, I can't help but think that Haruko would break that game in two if she was ever a player.

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ...Yeah, still one of my favorites of all time. It's easy to latch onto the animation, which is indeed unique and impressive, but I also just love the atmosphere of the whole thing. I dare say the story's more told by the mood of the more dramatic moments than the actual dialogue. Speaking of which, I love how the dialogue has this surreal, almost dreamlike quality to it.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm not really sure how to describe what I just saw. I knew a bit about this series going in and heard how strange it was, but this might be too bizarre and surreal for my tastes. It's clearly trying to be wacky and all over the place with its humor and animation, which does at least make the art style stand out, but I was mostly confused and relieved when the commercial break came. That's not really a good sign, especially for a first episode. I might give it another episode to see if it is more appealing, but I might just decided to go to sleep a bit earlier instead of trying to watch the rest of the series. That does sound rather tempting right now.

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I'm not really sure how to describe what I just saw. I knew a bit about this series going in and heard how strange it was, but this might be too bizarre and surreal for my tastes. It's clearly trying to be wacky and all over the place with its humor and animation, which does at least make the art style stand out, but I was mostly confused and relieved when the commercial break came. That's not really a good sign, especially for a first episode. I might give it another episode to see if it is more appealing, but I might just decided to go to sleep a bit earlier instead of trying to watch the rest of the series. That does sound rather tempting right now.
    I just wanna say that this show's really better on repeat viewings, as the gags and intensity can be really overwhelming on a first viewing. Episode 2 is a bit better in that regard, though episodes 4 & 5 are particularly crazy and often uncomfortable. And this is coming from a big fan of the series.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart View Post
    I just wanna say that this show's really better on repeat viewings, as the gags and intensity can be really overwhelming on a first viewing. Episode 2 is a bit better in that regard, though episodes 4 & 5 are particularly crazy and often uncomfortable. And this is coming from a big fan of the series.
    That would make sense. I think one reason why I was relieved when the commercial break came on was because the gags were just overwhelming me since it felt like that there was too much going on all at once. I can like bizarre humor, but it's usually better if it's more evened out and put in small doses, rather than twenty some minutes of nothing but bizarre gags that make it difficult to get into the show when I'm just starring at the screen and constantly asking myself "What the heck is going on?" I might give the second episode a bit more of a chance, but the idea of just going to sleep until they put another show on this slot still sounds tempting.

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well it is obvuois whoever wrote this was high on something. The girls from Eureka Seven, though kind of role reversal, this time Kari Wahlgren is the alien, while Stephanie Sheh is the earthling, though Kari is still the crazy one.

I love Haruka, she defenetely makes my list, Anemone is still number one for now, but Haruka might past Charmcaster for number two, and creeping it as number one. While Anemone is one kind of crazy, Haruka is a whole other type of crazy.

It is nice to see Stephanie voice a character with a deep voice, I don't see too many of those, most of the Stephanie characters I know has a higher pitch voice, and I have heard talk in interviews and commentaries, Mamimi that is her real voice. Haruka is crazy, but Mamimi she has issues, not very real adjusted. Naota has some crazy women in his life, not to mention his family is crazy, his dad reminds me of Isshin Kurosaki.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    The second episode takes a step back from the rapid pace a bit. It's not as confusing or has as many eyeball kicks, though it still energetic. And it does make sense as the series goes on - even the robots coming out of Not-Rita Repulsa's forehead.

The context of FLCL is that the originally this was released as an OVA - each episode was released (back then) in single DVD's. Gainax, I suppose, was trying to create a massive first impression to get attention. That way, the anime could begin with telling the actual tale.
    He is Risen.

Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    (Where was this talkback last night?!)

Those of you who liked Anemone in Eureka Seven will LOVE Haruko. You know, same voice actress and all.
    This show will certainly give you a general idea of Kari Wahlgren's vocal range.

"STAY RIGHT THERE!! I'M GONNA MAKE YOU FEEL ALL BETTER!" is my favorite part of the episode.

And since its new licensors at Funimation have uploaded the subbed episodes to YouTube, I thought I'd translate the Japanese text for you all since Adult Swim never thought to.

Below red X on screen during slow motion sequence: It's wrong.
    "Vespa" definition flashed on screen: Ves-pa 1. wasp, hornet
    Sign outside hospital: MM Branch Hospital: Brain Surgery, Respiratory Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology
    Lettering on hospital following Nurse Haruko's rampage: Medical Mechanica Branch Hospital
    Naota's shop sign: Shikeguni Bread
    Sign on window before manga scene: Due to circumstances, closed for the time being. -Management
    Manga scene dialogue: Come on, do you really need me for that?
    Writing on postcard when we find out Naota's brother has an American girlfriend: I got me a blonde gal!
    Sign on window in final scene: Store reopened as of today. -Management
    End credits: Sorry, you're on your own

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anime View Post
    Since this is coming directly off the heels of Sword Art Online, I can't help but think that Haruko would break that game in two if she was ever a player.

She certainly wouldn't take TWO YEARS to beat it because of COMPLACENCY.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitschensyngk View Post
    (Where was this talkback last night?!)
    Those of you who liked Anemone in Eureka Seven will LOVE Haruko. You know, same voice actress and all.
    This show will certainly give you a general idea of Kari Wahlgren's vocal range.
    Yeah I know, as big of fan I am or her, vocal range is not something I think of when I think of her talent, just like Johnny Yong Bosch, I love him, but vocal range is not his forte either, how he is the voice of Renton in the original series is still unbeliveable, Which is okay, a lot of great voice actors can get by with just a certain voice type.

But yeah, if I wasn't told Haruko was Kari, I wouldn't know.

Haruko is crazy, you know she reminds of Mashiro from Bleach. If those two ever meet, OMG the world couldn't survive that.

Radical is online now The Face of Evilness & Sadism!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Episode 1 was pretty sweet/bizarre/hilarious,

The highlights:
    Both Naota/Mamimi are the best cutest couple ever after Kenshin/Kaoru, Naruto/Hinata, Renton/Eureka, Ichigo/Orihime, and Kirito/Asuna(their relationship rocks).
    I love Haruko who's cute/awesome/wacky/hilarious with all of her best epic scenes, hahahahahaha, she looks like a taller Sakura Haruno who's more epic and reminds me of Haruhi Suzumiya/Rebecca(Becky),Ichijo,and Himeko(Pani Poni Dash!)/Lucy,Erza,and Juvia(Fairy Tail) among cool wacky hilarious female characters.
    Haruko running over poor Naota with her Vespa scooter was hilarious.
    The 4th wall breaking scene with Naota/Mamimi/Haruko watching was priceless.
    The large horn-like bump on Naota's head was so bizarre/weird.
    Junko the crazy eccentric female teacher is so hilarious.
    Gaku & Masashi were funny which they're like Keigo, hehehe.
    Eri Ninamori is also cute/awesome.
    Haruko the nurse scaring Naota, hahahahahaha.
    The whole manga-like scenes with Naota/Haruko/Kamon/Shigekuni while mentioning "fooly cooly" was random/wacky/hilarious, hahahahaha, with Haruko enjoying the craziness, even Naota's family are just as crazy as Mamimi/Haruko, hahahahaha.
    Kamon is another great hilarious idiot dad next to Isshin, Spirit(Maka's dad), and Sojiro(Konata's dad from Lucky Star), hahahahaha.
    Haruko as Naota's live-in maid, sweet/funny.
    Poor Mamimi is poor, how sad.
    The scene with Naota/Mamimi at the bridge was SO CUTE.
    Mamimi likes Tasuka(Naota's older brother), interesting.
    A TV-headed robot/giant detached piece of a giant robot coming out of poor Naota's head was so weird/bizarre.
    The TV-headed robot is so awesome.
    Haruko crushing the detached piece of a giant robot was awesome, she can use her bass guitar as a weapon, cool.
    The TV-headed robot joins Naota's crazy family, sweet.
    Both Haruko/Mamimi/Eri Ninamori are epic likable female characters more better than the horrible unlikable female characters Iris(Pokemon Black & White)/Sakura & Ino/Aquarius/Tokine.

FLCL
    is was one of my top favorite epic wacky funny bizarre series ever while Haruko brings out the comedy as well, hehehe, I do love this Toonami having Tenchi Muyo! GXP/Cowboy Bebop/IGPX/One Piece/Samurai 7/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood/Bleach/Soul Eater/Deadman Wonderland/Casshern Sins and now FLCL, epic, welcome to Toonami FLCL!!!!!
    Barbara "Rita Repulsa" Goodson as Naota was fantastic, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers actors voicing anime characters is sweet.
    Kari Wahlgren was funny/awesome as Haruko as much as I loved her other sweet roles as Luca(IGPX), Arisa(Stellvia of the Universe), Lavie(Last Exile), Anemone(I love her next to Haruko, she rocks), Saya/Diva(Blood+), and Kagami(Lucky Star), go Kari!!!!!
    Stephanie Sheh was amazing as Mamimi next to Hinata/Eureka/Orihime/Akira(Lucky Star,her psychotic voice rocks)/Kinon(Gurren Lagann), I do enjoy both Steven Blum/Derek Prince/Johnny Bosch/Kari Wahlgren/Stephanie Sheh/Monica Rial's epic voice acting roles in the world of anime.
    Last edited by Radical; 12-01-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitschensyngk View Post
    (Where was this talkback last night?!) (snip)
    Yeah, it was bellow the sticky threads, and only two users with bald avatars commented while watching.

Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    Well it is obvuois whoever wrote this was high on something. The girls from Eureka Seven, though kind of role reversal, this time Kari Wahlgren is the alien, while Stephanie Sheh is the earthling, though Kari is still the crazy one.

I love Haruka, she defenetely makes my list, Anemone is still number one for now, but Haruka might past Charmcaster for number two, and creeping it as number one. While Anemone is one kind of crazy, Haruka is a whole other type of crazy.

It is nice to see Stephanie voice a character with a deep voice, I don't see too many of those, most of the Stephanie characters I know has a higher pitch voice, and I have heard talk in interviews and commentaries, Mamimi that is her real voice. Haruka is crazy, but Mamimi she has issues, not very real adjusted. Naota has some crazy women in his life, not to mention his family is crazy, his dad reminds me of Isshin Kurosaki.
    I'm still surprised that Mamimi is voiced by Sheh. Seriously, after ten years, and I never knew that until recently.
    He is Risen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FLCL Episode 2 On!

I forgot Haruka looks so hot in that nurse outfit

Space Patrol? I just hope Tenci Muyo GX isn't involved.
    He is Risen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Episode 2: Firestarter
    Fires are being started (hence the title) in town, but by whom? Could a video game be responsible?

Guess the dub was made before American Idol.
    Oh, hai, Adult Swim.

JShaggy is offline Happy People ClickPLAY! Rainbow Champion BioGems Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    You should hear some of Stephanie's previous roles she did for Funimation. I didn't even know that was her voice when I watched a bit of Strike Witches (she plays Gertrud Barkhorn in that series).

Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sign on school: Mabase Elementary School

Either that's Naota's X-ray or that of a Sword Art Online episode writer.

I'm not telling you what HARUKO's nametag says.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast