toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Oh? Maybe that'll up my chances since I only entered once.

I really don't have issue with them using some mini-games to wind down, there were some amusing moments.

I think the bigger issue here is the pacing once again felt all over the place and the show continues to be the evidence that telling instead of showing can really weaken a story.

Of course we have to wait a week for the rest of that battle and the conclusion of Aincrad.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post

Of course we have to wait a week for the rest of that battle and the conclusion of Aincrad.
    Wait are they preempting again this week?

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    The idea of wanting to take a break from the fighting isn't bad, but I think that the problem is that we haven't really seen a lot of this two year struggle. They've skipped around so much of that time and they've cleared so much of the dungeons off-screen that it kind of difficult to make the struggle look like its taking its toll on them to the point where they'd want to take a break from it. They've emphasized that the game is dangerous, but they haven't shown enough of the struggle, at least for me, to make this break seem more reasonable/understandable. If we saw more of the struggle of clearing levels and both leads had better/more interesting personalities that showed how clearing the levels took a heavy toll on them, then taking a break would feel a bit more like a natural progression of the storyline and their character arcs. As it is, it just feels too jarring for my tastes and the idea itself is just executed poorly.

It's kind of weird because of how she apparently cares more about Kirito than any of her friends or family members, despite being separated from them for two years. While they have made it clear that they love each other, they do so more by telling the audience, more so than showing them, which makes declarations like she'd kill herself if Kirito died or that she wants to stay with him all the time feel more hallow than touching as a result. There's really not enough emotion within their relationship to make it compelling, despite how much the show tries to sell it, so I don't think it makes sense for Asuna to want to be with Kirito over her life in the real world.
    That's a fair opinion to have, but most of the responses I saw treated it as a logic problem, not an execution problem. I saw more people saying that it didn't make sense to relax because they were in a "death trap" than I saw people saying that we haven't seen enough of the rigors they've had to endure. I'm just saying that, from a logic point of view, there's nothing wrong with it. Floor 22 isn't exactly a death trap from what I can see.

Also, humans are very adaptable people. I'm sure Asuna misses her family, but the whole point of her speech was to say that she's realized that she can still make life worth living even in their unusual circumstances. And Kirito is a big part of the reason for that obviously. Now again, if you don't like them as characters, I can understand if you dismiss it, but the logic isn't flawed.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    That's a fair opinion to have, but most of the responses I saw treated it as a logic problem, not an execution problem. I saw more people saying that it didn't make sense to relax because they were in a "death trap" than I saw people saying that we haven't seen enough of the rigors they've had to endure. I'm just saying that, from a logic point of view, there's nothing wrong with it. Floor 22 isn't exactly a death trap from what I can see.
    I could see how people would find it a bit illogical to relax when they've emphasized how dangerous the game is for the bulk of the series, but that just ties into how the execution problem as well. They haven't really suffered on screen for the audience to find the decision to go on a honeymoon to be a logical choice. Just going on the honeymoon itself doesn't really make sense either, but that has more to do with relationship more than anything else. It just comes off as sudden, at least for my tastes, and it could have worked with better writing and characters.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild
    Also, humans are very adaptable people. I'm sure Asuna misses her family, but the whole point of her speech was to say that she's realized that she can still make life worth living even in their unusual circumstances. And Kirito is a big part of the reason for that obviously. Now again, if you don't like them as characters, I can understand if you dismiss it, but the logic isn't flawed.
    It's not so much that I'm dismissing it, but her whole speech rubbed me the wrong way for multiple reasons. It was just another huge example of the show doing much more telling than showing, which highlights one of its main writing problems in general, and it did feel like she was just glorifying Kirito. Yes, he is a big part of the reason that she could make life worth living even in their current situation, but it just recapped to the audience what we already knew and made Kirito look a lot more special than I think he is. Not to mention the lack of passion/emotion in their relationship really makes it difficult to find her speech compelling on that level. Plus, the tone of that scene kind of gave me the impression that she was a bit too happy in her current situation and made me question why they're bothering trying to clear the game. They clearly love each other, they value each others' safety more than anything else, to the point where Asuna would commit suicide if Kirito was killed instead of trying to live on in order to see her family again, and they seemed perfectly content with living in their little house in the woods. So, why even bother trying to clear the game at this point when it just puts them in life threatening danger? This probably wouldn't be a problem if the show had made the effort to highlight their relationships outside of the game so that there would be more of a personal reason to get out besides not wanting to die. Outside of Kirito mentioning his cousin in I think the fourth episode and maybe a brief mention of Asuna's family once we got into the episodes that covered first novel, I don't think that they've mentioned their families or friends outside of the game, so it's kind of hard for me to believe that they'd want to see their families and loved ones again when they value each other so much and seem perfectly content living in the game. Or at the very least, it weakens that motivation for me.

Gold Guy is offline I kan spel grate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An okay episode. I actually thought that the fishing sequence was kinda fun, and well-animated. The second half got down to the nitty-gritty, but the cliff-hanger annoyed me for some reason.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5