toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hypeathon is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    At least they finally mentioned how their bodies are doing in the real world, even though I think that should have been brought up a long time ago. I didn't quite understand that they're already on a time limit because of being in the hospital. Bodies in a coma can survive for years with the right medical equipment, which I imagine hospitals would have and they would be trying their best to keep their bodies as healthy as possible when so many people were affected by this game. So, I don't think that there is as much of a time limit, or at least any more than what they already have in regards to how long they'll live. The fight near the end looked pretty decent though.
    Huh. Interesting. I didn't even know that sort of thing about bodies being in comas was even possible, so I couldn't help but sort of believe what Asuna said. Well, now I guess I know.

kamina170 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    this is a little off topic but Funimation announced that Toonami will air Space Dandy on January. im assuming after the horrors of SAO will finally be over beforethen.

FUNimation Official Blog - Read the Latest Anime News and Updates

Gatomon41 is offline Digital Kitty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Though as silly as it sounds, I don't think the Bass Fishing Tourney is a stupid concept, even in the death trap that is SAO. Let's face it - anyone whose played any games will probably spend some time saving the world to play a mini-game. Look at Final Fantasy X - world's being destroyed by a giant space tick, and the player characters are being sent to play water soccer. Blitzball is so addicting.

Besides the meta aspect, there's one thing to consider - people in prolong periods of stress need some way to unwind. There's a science fiction story I once read about a rather brutal attempt to colonize an alien world. People are literally dropped by the millions, separated from their families and many dying on landing. After months of hard labor to survive, one colonist sets up a gambling house. Why? "To take the worry out of people's souls".

It might be odd, but the fishing aspect isn't as pointless as one might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambdadelta View Post
    I turned it off half way through the Bass Masters' Fishing Championship. Officially done with this show. Dropped.
    Drats, then you missed the best part of the episode - people dying!

But seriously, the good part of the episode was after the first half.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamina170 View Post
    this is a little off topic but Funimation announced that Toonami will air Space Dandy on January. im assuming after the horrors of SAO will finally be over beforethen.

FUNimation Official Blog - Read the Latest Anime News and Updates
    Hah! Because of movie month we're stuck with Alfheim til February.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypeathon View Post
    Huh. Interesting. I didn't even know that sort of thing about bodies being in comas was even possible, so I couldn't help but sort of believe what Asuna said. Well, now I guess I know.
    I have heard of people being in a coma for ten or more years. I don't think that it's common for people to wake up after that long, but it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Though as silly as it sounds, I don't think the Bass Fishing Tourney is a stupid concept, even in the death trap that is SAO. Let's face it - anyone whose played any games will probably spend some time saving the world to play a mini-game. Look at Final Fantasy X - world's being destroyed by a giant space tick, and the player characters are being sent to play water soccer. Blitzball is so addicting.

Besides the meta aspect, there's one thing to consider - people in prolong periods of stress need some way to unwind. There's a science fiction story I once read about a rather brutal attempt to colonize an alien world. People are literally dropped by the millions, separated from their families and many dying on landing. After months of hard labor to survive, one colonist sets up a gambling house. Why? "To take the worry out of people's souls".

It might be odd, but the fishing aspect isn't as pointless as one might think.
    While needing something to unwind would make sense, I don't think that they handled it that well here. It just comes off as jarring to go from a life and death situation, or even just their ridiculously melodramatic heartbreak over losing their virtual daughter in the last episode, to a fishing competition. Going back to the more dramatic/serious tone in the second half of this episode didn't help either. Like most of the ideas in this series, it could have worked better if there was better writing involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41

I don't think any part of this episode was good, but that's just me.

marklungo is offline Greetings from Honneamise
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I don't think any part of this episode was good, but that's just me.
    Actually, the monster was pretty cool. The downside: Everything else.
    "Hey Bender, it's that guy you are."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdadelta View Post
    I turned it off half way through the Bass Masters' Fishing Championship. Officially done with this show. Dropped.
    Oh just stick around one more week to see Aincrad go boom and Kayaba's "brilliant" explanation as to why he did it in the first place. Then you can quit.
    Last edited by Lord Dalek; 10-27-2013 at 05:06 PM.

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also, gotta be honest, that that weird face the guy made when Kirito said he could help with his soy sauce problem and that long, lingering shot of a dead fish staring at the camera were arguably creepier than the Skull Reaper.

Still, my biggest problem was Asuna and Kirito's "romance", as usual. The weird thing is, Asuna explaining how she met Kirito probably made a lot more sense in the book when we, you know, hadn't seen that part already, and even then was pretty much a flagrant case of telling instead of showing.

Still, the episode didn't really bother me much at all.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marklungo View Post
    Actually, the monster was pretty cool. The downside: Everything else.
    The monster's design was intimidating and the fight was looking pretty decent, but I don't think that I'd label either elements as good per say. Although, I agree with the downside being everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart
    Also, gotta be honest, that that weird face the guy made when Kirito said he could help with his soy sauce problem and that long, lingering shot of a dead fish staring at the camera were arguably creepier than the Skull Reaper.
    I thought that the weird face the fisherman made was so hilarious. I initially thought that that expression would make watching this episode almost worth it. By the halfway point, I changed my mind, but it was still pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart
    Still, my biggest problem was Asuna and Kirito's "romance", as usual. The weird thing is, Asuna explaining how she met Kirito probably made a lot more sense in the book when we, you know, hadn't seen that part already, and even then was pretty much a flagrant case of telling instead of showing.
    That whole scene really annoyed me because of how it just came off as glorifying Kirito rather than making their romance look touching to me. Not to mention beating their romance over the audience heads like I mentioned before, which just made it even more tedious. Plus, recapping everything we already knew about how they met wasn't really necessary when we already saw it. At least in the novel, it probably did work a tad better due to not covering it beforehand, but I agree that the fact that it was still telling instead of showing was a major problem.

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's also kinda weird seeing her remember those sequences "romantically" when those very scenes had her come off as uptight and angry. And yeah, glorifying Kirito...when really, Asuna's done the majority of cool stuff since Volume 1 began. I mean, she saved Kirito's ass from that assassin, scared off those soldiers terrorizing those players back in the first town and taking down that fish monster in one blow. To be honest, I kinda wonder if the author noticed this, given how drastically different her characterization was in the short stories.

Should make it clear that I still kinda unironically like this show...for reasons even I'm not 100% sure of. Though I do have to say, as few and far between as they may be, I do love the Sword Art sequences despite not really being any better than other, better action shows. I guess for me, I can't really hate something unless I find it outright offensive or obnoxious (and no, what happens in Fairy Dance isn't particularly offensive to me, yes I know all about it already), or if it's a lousy adaptation of a work I really like, or if I've mainly been exposed to an insufferable fanbase beforehand (I try not to let that last one get to me, but it's happened).
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart View Post
    It's also kinda weird seeing her remember those sequences "romantically" when those very scenes had her come off as uptight and angry. And yeah, glorifying Kirito...when really, Asuna's done the majority of cool stuff since Volume 1 began. I mean, she saved Kirito's ass from that assassin, scared off those soldiers terrorizing those players back in the first town and taking down that fish monster in one blow. To be honest, I kinda wonder if the author noticed this, given how drastically different her characterization was in the short stories.
    She was rather uptight during that scene and I honestly thought that her attitude before with considering every day spent in the game was another day lost in the real world was better than just being happy with her live in this virtual death trap. It made more sense to me at least. That's a good point on how Asuna has done more in the episodes based off the novels. If he did notice that, it could be one reason why Kirito suddenly became overpowered in the short stories.

kamina170 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Hah! Because of movie month we're stuck with Alfheim til February.
    whats happening in movie month? did toonami announced this or something?

Gatomon41 is offline Digital Kitty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh just stick around one more week to see Aincrad go boom and Kayaba's "brilliant" explanation as to why he did it in the first place. Then you can quit.
    Well, I'm already deep enough in this experiment, why not.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamina170 View Post
    whats happening in movie month? did toonami announced this or something?
    Yeah... last week. Movies on three weeks in December (presumably the 14th, 21st, and 28th).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    Well, I'm already deep enough in this experiment, why not.
    Oh no you have to stick around til 21. ;-)

Megumi is offline ★ No One's Dream Anymore ☆
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post

I guess I can watch one and a half more episodes of this series. Just to get some closure or to cope.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ Yeah, same here. As much as I'm NOT enjoying this show, I've never stopped watching an anime halfway. I would like to see what happens in the end.
    I'm a Writer, first. THEN I'm an artist.

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The latest thing I disagree with - "how can they be having fun when they're in a DEATH TRAP!" Uh, they've been in the game for 2 years now. Despite Asuna's concerns about their real world bodies, people can survive for long periods of time in comas, so it's not like they're gonna die tomorrow or next week. And it's been made pretty obvious that they've cleared the lower floors of monsters, so it's not like it's dangerous. Why is it absurd that they'd want to take a 2 week break from 2 years of endless struggle?

And despite the struggle, Asuna met someone that she fell in love with in SAO, so how is it weird that she'd want to stay in the place where she's been happier than any other time in her life? She's still very young after all, and it's not unusual for young people in love to act irrationally. Of course she knows that they can't stay there forever, but it's not an unusual instinct for someone to have.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    The latest thing I disagree with - "how can they be having fun when they're in a DEATH TRAP!" Uh, they've been in the game for 2 years now. Despite Asuna's concerns about their real world bodies, people can survive for long periods of time in comas, so it's not like they're gonna die tomorrow or next week. And it's been made pretty obvious that they've cleared the lower floors of monsters, so it's not like it's dangerous. Why is it absurd that they'd want to take a 2 week break from 2 years of endless struggle?
    The idea of wanting to take a break from the fighting isn't bad, but I think that the problem is that we haven't really seen a lot of this two year struggle. They've skipped around so much of that time and they've cleared so much of the dungeons off-screen that it kind of difficult to make the struggle look like its taking its toll on them to the point where they'd want to take a break from it. They've emphasized that the game is dangerous, but they haven't shown enough of the struggle, at least for me, to make this break seem more reasonable/understandable. If we saw more of the struggle of clearing levels and both leads had better/more interesting personalities that showed how clearing the levels took a heavy toll on them, then taking a break would feel a bit more like a natural progression of the storyline and their character arcs. As it is, it just feels too jarring for my tastes and the idea itself is just executed poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild
    And despite the struggle, Asuna met someone that she fell in love with in SAO, so how is it weird that she'd want to stay in the place where she's been happier than any other time in her life? She's still very young after all, and it's not unusual for young people in love to act irrationally. Of course she knows that they can't stay there forever, but it's not an unusual instinct for someone to have.
    It's kind of weird because of how she apparently cares more about Kirito than any of her friends or family members, despite being separated from them for two years. While they have made it clear that they love each other, they do so more by telling the audience, more so than showing them, which makes declarations like she'd kill herself if Kirito died or that she wants to stay with him all the time feel more hallow than touching as a result. There's really not enough emotion within their relationship to make it compelling, despite how much the show tries to sell it, so I don't think it makes sense for Asuna to want to be with Kirito over her life in the real world.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not sure if anyone noticed, but the SAO contest had the same exact code both weeks. Also, I noticed a funny little thing in the contest rules they failed to mention on-air:

Limit one entry per person. Duplicate entries will be subject for disqualification.
    So if you entered both weeks? You've been disqualified. Good job there Aniplex.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast