toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Rynnec View Post
    That example sounds like pretty terrible writing. :P
    Well it is Homeland...

WickedChild is offline Kissing the shadows
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tell that to the Emmy voters, as it won 6 if I recall. Including Best Writing and Best Drama. The same awards won in the previous and subsequent years by Mad Men and Breaking Bad, respectively.

Rynnec is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good for it then.
    Currently Watching: Darker Than Black

Currently Reading: Tsukihime, Mahou Sensei Negima, Hayate Cross Blade

Currently Playing: No More Heroes, Skyward Sword, Persona 4

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild View Post
    It may sound like an odd comparison, but in the acclaimed Showtime drama Homeland, almost the same exact thing happens with the 2 main characters. Halfway into the first season, and it's a 12 episode season (though it's hourlong episodes). Anyway, the main female character (Claire Danes) in in love with the guy about 6 episodes into the show, despite never having met him before, and it's not even like a lot of offscreen time passes. Then in episode 7 or 8, frustrated with their situation, they run away together to a cabin in the woods and start playing house, despite the fact he has a wife and kids (though there's obviously unusual circumstances there, as he was away from his family for 8 years as a prisoner of war). And there's a MUCH greater sense of urgency in that show, as they're trying to thwart an active terrorist threat no less! And it pretty much swept the Emmys that year.

Anyway, I'm saying these whole "lack of urgency" and "no time to develop relationship" claims are pretty unfounded and indefensible.
    I've never seen that show, but I don't think that just because it won a bunch of Emmys necessarily means that it was good or at the very least that it justifies choices in a completely unrelated show like this one. I also completely disagree that those claims are unfounded and indefensible. Pretty much everyone has given reasons as to why they made those claims, so it isn't like no one is explaining their position. Besides that, I honestly don't see how anyone could believe that they provided enough time to develop the relationship between Kirtio and Asuna. While it was clear that they liked each other, even if it did come off more like typical male and female lead romance without anything to make it interesting, or passion for that matter,, going from declaring their feelings to getting married and playing house does not make sense. It's far too rushed and the show is spending too much time telling the audience that they love each other, rather than showing us through good buildup, which does make the scenes with Kirito and Asuna too snappy in my opinion.

As for the lack of urgency, I do think that's an issue given that, at this point, both leads seem perfectly happy with being in this idealized death trap. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem if it was handled more like that process that TheGunHeart and Monte described earlier. That way, it would feel like a more natural progression for both the storyline and their characters. Because of how they've skipped so much of the two years they've been in the game, the fact that we're told that they don't want to forget their lives here, despite being in life threatening peril practically every day, and both of the lead characters are rather uninteresting, at least to me, I don't think that they can pull off this lack of urgency to escape the game that well at this point.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, this episode was pretty boring. Not much else to say about it...
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    As for the lack of urgency, I do think that's an issue given that, at this point, both leads seem perfectly happy with being in this idealized death trap. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem if it was handled more like that process that TheGunHeart and Monte described earlier. That way, it would feel like a more natural progression for both the storyline and their characters. Because of how they've skipped so much of the two years they've been in the game, the fact that we're told that they don't want to forget their lives here, despite being in life threatening peril practically every day, and both of the lead characters are rather uninteresting, at least to me, I don't think that they can pull off this lack of urgency to escape the game that well at this point.
    The nature of the filler episodes was another problem. Too much emphasis on just how dangerous the game is to make wanting to live there seem reasonable, while at the same time, not enough emphasis on the struggle of clearing the floors to make retiring seem like a good alternative.

I think some more emphasis on why one would want to stay in the game might have helped, too. Let's take that blacksmith, for example; in the real world, she's probably nobody, doesn't know what to do with her life, etc.. In the world of Sword Art Online, though, she's a famous blacksmith creating legendary weapons that, due to the stakes of the game, are actually vital to survival (unlike, say, a regular MMORPG where being able to smith isn't really that big a deal). It's an angle the show could've played off on to actually provide some reason for why the playerbase has gone native, But again, that potential was sadly never developed.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart View Post
    The nature of the filler episodes was another problem. Too much emphasis on just how dangerous the game is to make wanting to live there seem reasonable, while at the same time, not enough emphasis on the struggle of clearing the floors to make retiring seem like a good alternative.

I think some more emphasis on why one would want to stay in the game might have helped, too. Let's take that blacksmith, for example; in the real world, she's probably nobody, doesn't know what to do with her life, etc.. In the world of Sword Art Online, though, she's a famous blacksmith creating legendary weapons that, due to the stakes of the game, are actually vital to survival (unlike, say, a regular MMORPG where being able to smith isn't really that big a deal). It's an angle the show could've played off on to actually provide some reason for why the playerbase has gone native, But again, that potential was sadly never developed.
    That's a good point. They've made it clear how dangerous the game is that it doesn't seem like people would want to live there, but they haven't put much focus on the difficulty in clearing the floors. I think that the only case of people wanting to stay in the game was in the early couple of episodes where they were just terrified to move out of the first town, which is an understandable response to their fears, but it wasn't really explored beyond a couple of mentions. Characters feeling more useful/important/stronger in the game world than they normally would in the real world could have potential to flesh out the characters, instead of making them boring and the cases of the female characters, make them primarily love interests for Kirito.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4