toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGunheart View Post
    As I've said before, I'm really feeling the "baby's first novel" aspect now that the story proper has begun. It's really clear how this was hastily put together for a writing contest, and it apparently only got published to cash in on the popularity of his later Accel World. I'd be willing to cut it a bit of slack as just a slightly competent bit of RPG drama by a teenager, but it just makes it more annoying how the anime does little to fix the problems for its adaptation.

I mean, it's kinda funny to realize how the novel begins literally two years after the incident that started this mess and went on from there. Suddenly, the focus on only a small cast actually seems to make a mild amount of sense. But starting with the side stories, it feels instead like we're given a potentially interesting premise and then made to view it through the eyes of the most boring character present.
    I'm getting that kind of impression as well. The concept sounds potentially interesting, but the setup and execution both in the episodes based on light novels and in the side stories comes off sloppy and incompetent. If this is how the light novels come off, then it does seem like a waste for the anime, as an adaptation, to not try and improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedChild
    So, the ENTIRE episode they spent showing him getting the sword he needed to perform the move wasn't enough? Do you want the show to happen in real time or something?
    I don't think that episode provided buildup, or at least not a good amount of buildup for this special move. The episode was more focused on Liz suddenly falling for Kirito and then dealing with the heartbreak at the end. Getting the material for the sword and then making it was more like a plot device to get them together so that Liz could fall in love with him more than anything else. Aside from not breaking apart, there wasn't any indication that this second sword was special. There certainly weren't any indication that it could provide a powerful and unique move only to Kirito before this episode so I don't see how simply getting the sword provide much, if any, buildup. Kirito said that the move just appeared one day, so as far as we know, Kirito learning this special move had nothing to do with getting the sword.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Screw it, I'll spoil it.

Later it is stated that Kirito gained the ability duel wield because of his speed stat reaching a certain value before anyone else in the game. Supposedly there are other people with unique skills in the game so Kirito isn't the only player who has one. It is plot convenience to be sure but there's your explanation.

You want to see some real deus ex machina BS? Wait for a few other fights.

On the romantic stuff, I think the conversations Kirito and Asuna have are adorable. I get a lot of amusement out of their interactions. I do see some problems in how they set up some of these scenarios as the progression from point A to point B could be a lot smoother but none the less I enjoy their banter. They act like two teenagers who try to one-up each other and are also too embarrassed to admit their feelings. If that's what the writer was going for then I think he overall succeeded.

And if you don't like the relationship stuff those fights sequences are pretty exciting IMO.

As for "trying to improve" the story presented in the light novels. I imagine they were weary of a backlash for changing things even if it may have been for the better. That's reasonable right? They wanted to keep the intended audience satisfied by not deviating from the source material because someone did buy those novels and liked it as is.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Screw it, I'll spoil it.

Later it is stated that Kirito gained the ability duel wield because of his speed stat reaching a certain value before anyone else in the game. Supposedly there are other people with unique skills in the game so Kirito isn't the only player who has one. It is plot convenience to be sure but there's your explanation.
    That's a bit of a strange reason to get such a powerful move, but again, I don't know if that works in MMORPGs either, so maybe it does make more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    As for "trying to improve" the story presented in the light novels. I imagine they were weary of a backlash for changing things even if it may have been for the better. That's reasonable right? They wanted to keep the intended audience satisfied by not deviating from the source material because someone did buy those novels and liked it as is.
    Fair enough. It just seems kind of jarring to adapt the extra stories and then play the story presented in the light novels straight since it does kind of toss some of the earlier episodes aside. Asuna going from being a bit tough typical love interest for the male lead to being a cook and hiding behind Kirito when her bodyguard was chasing her, for example, is a bit odd. Changing a few details like that to give the series a better narrative flow probably wouldn't be that drastic, but to be fair, I didn't think that there was much of a good flow in the earlier episodes anyway. It's just that doing it this way makes it more obvious that this material was written before the side stories and that just comes off as a strange choice as an adaptation.

Gold Guy is online now This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked the episode, aside from the cooking scene. It felt out-of-place. The boss fight was pretty epic though, and I enjoyed the animation. I honestly didn't mind the whole dual-blades thing. Power-ups like that are pretty popular in anime, anyway. And ooh, looks like Kirito has another battle on his hands.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alright here's the exact passage from Chapter 12...

"There wasn’t a shred of lie in what I said. About a year ago, I opened my skills window one day and found the name <Dual Blades> just sitting there. I really had no clue on what conditions made it appear."

It should be pointed out that in Volume 07 we meet a character who would have probably received the dual wield ability instead of Kirito if she were playing SAO at the time. ...but she's in ALO instead.

Rynnec is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Alright here's the exact passage from Chapter 12...

"There wasn&rsquo;t a shred of lie in what I said. About a year ago, I opened my skills window one day and found the name <Dual Blades> just sitting there. I really had no clue on what conditions made it appear."

It should be pointed out that in Volume 07 we meet a character who would have probably received the dual wield ability instead of Kirito if she were playing SAO at the time. ...but she's in ALO instead.
    Would she have also gained a harem and a waifu too?
    Currently Watching: Darker Than Black

Currently Reading: Tsukihime, Mahou Sensei Negima, Hayate Cross Blade

Currently Playing: No More Heroes, Skyward Sword, Persona 4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynnec View Post
    Would she have also gained a harem and a waifu too?
    Well Yuki sorta gets one anyway.

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Again you have to basically divorce yourself from episodes 2-7 when watching these episodes because that material won't be written for 2-4 years after this.
    The more I learn about this anime, it sounds like whoever was in charge of the anime was more responsible for this show being disappointing more than the original source material.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    The more I learn about this anime, it sounds like whoever was in charge of the anime was more responsible for this show being disappointing more than the original source material.
    Nah the SAO novels are terribad on a whole other level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nah the SAO novels are terribad on a whole other level.
    Yikes. I am tempted to ask how bad it is.

In any case, you would think the adapters would have taken steps to improve the story.
    He is Risen.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41 View Post
    Yikes. I am tempted to ask how bad it is.
    You haven't lived until you've seen Kirito ramble on endlessly about room tatami sizes.
    In any case, you would think the adapters would have taken steps to improve the story.
    Seven Days War (the A-1 script writing division) rarely if ever goes beyond what the source material dictates. Occasionally it turns out ok (Shinsekai Yori), most of the time not (this, the godawful Oreimo 2, Vividred, etc.).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You haven't lived until you've seen Kirito ramble on endlessly about room tatami sizes.
    Seven Days War (the A-1 script writing division) rarely if ever goes beyond what the source material dictates. Occasionally it turns out ok (Shinsekai Yori), most of the time not (this, the godawful Oreimo 2, Vividred, etc.).
    You would think one of them would notice that the writing and chronological order would cause the show to suffer.

Writer A: Hey guys, Sword Art Online is filled with boring dialogue and the plot suffers by going in chronological order. Don't you think we should do something like liven up the story, or rewrite the dialogue for natural drama?

[Team glares at Writer A]

Writer B: Get out. NOW.
    He is Risen.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4