toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wolf's Rain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wolf's Rain

Like This Thread!

I've noticed this show has taken a lot of beatings on this forum, and I have to say... I don't really get why it has. Wolf's Rain has a unique premise, likable and memorable characters, great music, and a good blend of drama and action. I'll admit, episodes 15-18 are completely useless, however I don't understand why the show was panned to such a degree. In fact, I'd even say Wolf's Rain is up there with Bebop as one of the greatest anime ever made. It doesn't appeal to everybody, because some episodes don't really contain all that much action, so action fans probably wouldn't be fond of it, however to be panned where it was a general consensus that WR was awful, doesn't make sense to me. As for it being a flop on [as], I don't think it was as big of a flop as people claim. It did have 3 runs, and back in the day beat Inuyasha in ratings a few times. Was it as big of a hit as FMA, Bebop, FLCL, Trigun, Big O, GITS, et cetera? No. But was it a complete flop of a show? I don't really think it was.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Semi-interesting plot that leads absolutely nowhere and gives you a middle finger as the payoff. Once was enough for me and never again.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A sad ending is not the same thing as a middle finger, and considering the plot is constantly moving as the wolves are constantly on the run, I don't see how the plot could go nowhere.

Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The second half of that series had them all wandering around the wasteland getting captured and re-captured.

Spoiler:
    They pretty much kept that up through the last four episodes, when they started killing everybody off one by one.

It started out interesting, but then it sort of dropped off for me.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Nel_Annette is offline Go green!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Matt pretty much pegged it. Nothing interesting happened that whole series, until those awful last few episodes with one of the most confusing ending's ever.

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Four straight recap episodes followed by one of the most infuriating endings in the history of anime pretty much explains it.

And people wonder why Keiko Nobumoto hasn't done much since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They were only in the desert for two episodes. I don't know how nothing interesting had happened when they were constantly on the move. If you were confused by the ending, then I could understand how you may not be fond of it. The four recap episodes are easily skippable and in the middle of the series. As for Keiko Nobumoto not doing anything, I have my doubts that Wolf's Rain was the reason she hasn't done anything of lately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've never seen the series, but I do know that while ToonZone seems to hate it, the rest of the internet seems to love it; Doug Walker has considered it one of his favorite TV shows (listing it at #5 alongside Cowboy Bebop) and ANN and the like have given it similarly glowing reviews.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I never watched the anime, but I read the manga adaption. I'm not 100% sure if the anime and manga shared the same ending, but I hated the manga's ending, so I can't be people for disliking the anime's ending.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Wounded_Dragon is online now Beast in the Machine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Some people like self-flagellation. That's pretty much Wolf's Rain right there. There's not even the obligatory hope that the next cycle will be better (like most endings of this type would give); instead, it's pretty much implied everything will happen again in the same way, with only inconsequential differences.
    Playing: DC Universe Online(PS3)
    Watching: *Netflix backlog*

At least 15 percent of the moviegoing audience experiences headache and eyestrain during 3-D movies. I'm one of them. And no, I don't need corrective eyewear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Four straight recap episodes followed by one of the most infuriating endings in the history of anime pretty much explains it.

And people wonder why Keiko Nobumoto hasn't done much since.
    Ironic that you mentioned her name, considering what was just revealed today at Otakon.

Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You know I remember when this thread was made 9 years ago back when this show was still airing and at the time Matt Wilson said this about Wolf's Rain.

originally posted by Matt Wilson
    When there's more time spent on establishing shots than establishing characterization, that's when you know a show has nothing to give.
    Don't know if I'd be that harsh with but having seen all of the show I don't really think that fondly of it either. I know some people love it (In addtion to Doug Walker, Hope Chapman aka JesuoOtaku is also a big Wolf's Rain fan and calls it one of the best anime) but I was more bored with it then anything else. Granted it wasn't as stupidly boring and repetitve as say Casshern Sins but I only remember things occasionally happening and being enjoyable or that interesting and not really investing that much time in it. Oddly enough one of the things I remember most is that this was one of the last shows that Joshua Seth worked on before he left voice acting to become a hypnotist (yeah people that happened) as well as the already pointed out bleak "eveyrone dies" ending and key moments of certain episodes. But yeah nothing really that much honestly.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

anime_guru is offline show me your as-sets
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wanted to like Wolf's Rain. I really did. The character models, the scenery in general was very pleasing. Plus it's yoko kanno. Nuff said at least give the show a shot.

In clear retrospect, the entire show took far too long trying to establish some sort of enemy (often antagonists being rotated left and right - lord orkham, darsha, lady jagara, and then back to darsha, and let's not forget some minor characters made out to be "villainous"). The episodes themselves took turns that frankly just weren't satisfying. Especially the awful final four episodes.

Top that with four recap episodes, and not even Yoko Kanno can save this show. I was thoroughly disappointed with this one. Pacing, new antagonists coming every 2 or 3 episodes left me very cold.

I just couldn't do it anymore.

Lamel2g is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've only watched it once when it first aired on AS and I enjoyed it. It was something different at the time and would probably watch again in the future. Then again, I'm apparantly one of the few online who liked SAO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Alright, sorry for the extremely late responses on this. I actually hadn't read this until recently. Anyhow, the complaint that the show does not establish characterization is far from valid. The characters are extremely well setup so that near the end when they do die, you actually feel sad and upset for the characters. I think Quent is a good example of this. All throughout the story he is portrayed somewhat as the bad guy, who really wants to hunt down the protagonists, and even though he still despises wolves near the end of the show (mostly because he doesn't believe what was told of him earlier), you still feel really upset once Darcia kills him. Not only do you feel bad for him, but you also feel for Blue, who is seeing the one she spent all her life with die before her very eyes. Then of course you see Toboe crawling in that scene, and you feel extremely bad for Toboe, who starts out as the "runt" of the group, and by the end, ends up really coming into his own against that Walrus in "Pieces of a Shooting Star" to save his friends, then although Quent accidentally shoots Toboe in "Gunshot of Remorse", Toboe was courageously there to attempt to protect Quent from Darcia. At the end when Toboe dies, Tsume is also someone you feel for. He and Toboe had this bond together, that is shown from the beginning when they first meet in "Toboe, Who Doesn't Howl".