toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can Futurama return to Adult Swim?

Like This Thread!

The final season of Futurama is airing on Comedy Central. Sometime after that season ends, can the show conceivably return to Adult Swim, or will there be some contractual problems with that?

I remember reading in this earlier thread that Adult Swim can't air The Simpsons until the show is cancelled. Does the same hold true for Futurama?

Eggy is offline DA EGGY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's not repeat that thing from 10 years ago. Futurama had its run.

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What I am unsure of is whether or not the produced for Comedy Central episodes would be allowed to air on Adult Swim, if they did get the rights to air the show again. Would Comedy Central retain the rights to those specific episodes, or would those rights revert to 20th Century Fox?

Toonatic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtar View Post
    What I am unsure of is whether or not the produced for Comedy Central episodes would be allowed to air on Adult Swim, if they did get the rights to air the show again. Would Comedy Central retain the rights to those specific episodes, or would those rights revert to 20th Century Fox?
    The latter seems like. And yeah, I too would love Futurama to return to [adult swim].

vegeta95748 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't mind seeing it on [as] again. I honestly haven't been keeping up with it since it left [as], so it would give me some reason to finally watch the Comedy Central episodes.
    THE NARUTO EPISODE TRACKER

Total Episodes To Watch: 99 Canon, 172 Total

Episodes So Far: 69

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If Futurama did return, I think it would be perfect as a lead-in for Toonami. It would likely perform better than Boondocks currently does, and there's more of a crossover audience between Futurama and Toonami. Fittingly enough, Futurama used to to lead Toonami out for Adult Swim on Saturdays back when it was last airing there.

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Meh, King of the Hill has already filled the void on AS, and CC still needs more than just South Park.

Peter Paltridge is offline Thank God he wore trunks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If it ever does return, you can forget about any more new episodes. AS didn't have the budget then and it doesn't now.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: This week Winnie and Gene crash Hollywood in Part 1 of a brand-new Free Spirit!

ILDC is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    If it ever does return, you can forget about any more new episodes. AS didn't have the budget then and it doesn't now.
    Yet CC barely had the budget.

Dantheman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would have to say "No" as well, because Adult Swim pretty much got the rights to air it in the first place because no one else was interested in it, since they were in their "dumping ground for failed prime-time animated sitcoms" phase at the time.

veemonjosh is online now The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    As much as I've been grateful for the additional 52 episodes that Comedy Central has given the show, I wouldn't mind if that's it for new episodes. It doesn't really need any more than its already gotten.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Beefy is offline Get to work Toei!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All it takes is money.
    It depends on how determined Comedy Central is to hold on to the rights when the license is up for renewal (for seasons 1-4).
    For seasons 5-8, it depends on how the rights work, (because of CC helping fund them, do they have co-ownership, or is everything still owned by FOX?) but I would imagine it would be more expensive to get than seasons 1-4.

Personally, I would like to see Archer on Adult Swim.
    When do Family Guy's rights expire? 2015? It would be interesting to see if anybody would try to outbid Turner for the rights.
    ASF: You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
    [bump worthy]: You will download Adult Swim bumps because ASF doesn't have them.
    ---------------------
    Welcome back Toonami. I hope Adult Swim treats you better than Cartoon Network did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    All it takes is money.
    It depends on how determined Comedy Central is to hold on to the rights when the license is up for renewal (for seasons 1-4).
    For seasons 5-8, it depends on how the rights work, (because of CC helping fund them, do they have co-ownership, or is everything still owned by FOX?) but I would imagine it would be more expensive to get than seasons 1-4.

Personally, I would like to see Archer on Adult Swim.
    When do Family Guy's rights expire? 2015? It would be interesting to see if anybody would try to outbid Turner for the rights.
    Turner would likely bid as much as they could to make sure they don't lose Family Guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Comedy Central or somebody else had attempted to outbid Turner for it the last time the rights were up. Plus, Comedy Central was in FOX's favor at the time, because they were willing to help fund new episodes for their Futurama deal.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd watch Futurama more often if it was back on Adult Swim. They can get it if they want to and CC doesn't renew the rerun rights but it's gonna cost them.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

NovelleX is offline "Something did die. Gumball."
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My local syndication CW often airs Comedy Central episodes on weekends, so I wouldn't say it's an impossibility.
    That one show about that one cat that did that one thing that involved doing some things that he wouldn't normally do or should be doing but he did it anyway for laughs?

You know what that thing did? It spawned a lot of naughty internet things.

Kuromi_Star is offline Neko mimi mode
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Turner would likely bid as much as they could to make sure they don't lose Family Guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Comedy Central or somebody else had attempted to outbid Turner for it the last time the rights were up. Plus, Comedy Central was in FOX's favor at the time, because they were willing to help fund new episodes for their Futurama deal.
    Yeah, AS isn't the only Turner channel airing those FG episodes, so it's more of a priority.

RandomMe is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    There may be contractual problems, IMHO.