Quantcast
toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

C&C - The Venture Bros. - "SPHINX Rising" [6/16]

Like This Thread!
    A new episode airs tonight at midnight.

Broadcast Order: Season 5, Episode 3
    Production Order: Season 5, Episode 2

Kitschensyngk is offline It's Santa Titan!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's hard being a lone wolf.

"Artist Formerly Known as 21", thank you.

JETTISON THE LUNCHROOM!

Go easy on Dean. His not-girlfriend dumped him, he doesn't want to follow in his father's footsteps, and he just found out he was born in a tank.

I didn't think that was the Monarch at first.

Is it me, or as SPHINX's standards slipped since its change of management?

"Beaver inspector". Yeah, Monarch, TOTALLY inconspicuous.

Hank Venture is not Destiny's child. HE's a child named Destiny.

Dr. M-t-M's voice fits her disguise for once..

Gary will be fine, I'm sure. As for the rest of them...
    Ahh. Never mind. I didn't know Cobra Commander was a pedophile, though.

Well, if you'd let him join OSI...

Okay...STILL distracted by Sgt. Hatred's breasts.

That is terribly awkward.

Good night, sweet SPHINX. And flights of heavily-armed, costumed angels sing thee to thy rest.
    Last edited by Kitschensyngk; 06-17-2013 at 12:29 AM.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays

POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Electra Woman and Dyna Girl: THE FAILED TV PILOT

Visit my new Internet animation blog NEVERENDING SATURDAY MORNING!

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Monarch and Rusty used to be friends as babies.

Neo Ultra Mike is offline Creeping Shadow of 7000+ Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    You know I always did wonder more on what happened to the oriignal SPIHNX once we found out that Hunter and his team took them over in the modern era so good to at least see some of them pop up here. Including the very obvious Cobra Commander parody but hey since it's not the actual character just acting stupid for the sake of a lame joke (like say a Robot Chicken sketch) It isn't a pointless nor overly stale joke. Plus it's also good to see 21/Gary/Viceroy continue moving up in the system by trying to put together his own super hero group. Which yeah didn't work but was at least a good effort though I wonder what will happen with him now that SPHINX has been disbanded. Will he stay with Doc Venture or go with OSI? Also what is with that picture of a young Monarch with a young Doctor Venture and the Monarch not remembering it? Why was he mind wiped and why did his parents have anything to do with Venture? That seems like some epic teasing that may or may not reveal the actual reasons for the Monarch/Doc rivarly. Hard to say at this point. Also nice to see a bit of how Gathers now runs OSI. I hope that comment about him starting war with the Guild means he's taking a more proactive approach to hunting villiany then what happened under Treyster's range.

And as per usual a very strong selection of jokes: 21 instantly knowing the failings of the Monarch's acid magnet, Doc thinking that Hank was trying to hook up with some girl named destiny, the SPHINX guy with all the snake pets (yeah I know the two of them had names but since I'm not that into GI Joe I didn't really remember nor honestly care too much), The Monarch not knowing how to say Galafanikis's name, 21's surprise of the super suits (I think that's a funny running gag of him having no idea about what gear someone has or how it works like in "The Tears Of A Sea Cow" from season 3), Dr. Mrs and the Monarch actually being able to fool Venture into thinking they were beaver inspectors and Venture at first thinking that meant "vagin", "I forgot I was wearing a strength suit", the SPHINX Commander somehow still thinking the Countess wasn't Hank and still having a thing for "her", and Shore Leave's annoyance at Gary. I don't know if it was any better then the last ep but it was more character driven and hey did actually bring up something I wanted to see on the show again so yeah another winner here.
    Man now I"m up to 7,000+ posts. Hard to believe it took me 8 something years to get that many. How long will it take me to get another thousand? Guess you're going to have to keep reading what I have to say to find out.... I hope you've been doing that anyway as I feed off the attention.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow. I didn't think they'd actually revisit the OSI/G.I. Joe parody from way back in season 2. I thought it would be a one-time reference, but they actually established something with it here.

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitschensyngk View Post
    I didn't think that was the Monarch at first.
    Neither did I, and you can blame all those perspective shifts before we got back to him. I didn't get it until the guy with the white afro started talking like Dr. Girlfriend.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: In the newest (relatively speaking) Misfit Christmas Special, someone stole Santa Claus! Can a bestselling author and her talking mouse get to the bottom of this?

Kitschensyngk is offline It's Santa Titan!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    One late thought:

I wouldn't be surprised if they still didn't let Gary join the OSI after the events of this episode.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays

POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Electra Woman and Dyna Girl: THE FAILED TV PILOT

Visit my new Internet animation blog NEVERENDING SATURDAY MORNING!

Rick Jones is online now Keep my glass half-full in '15
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitschensyngk View Post
    Dr. M-t-M's voice fits her disguise for once..
    I've gotten so used to hearing that voice come out of a woman that it actually felt weird.

I loved the whole Chris Latta approach with Sphinx Commander.
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

maczero is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a huge G.I. Joe fan so I loved this ep. I loved matching VB character with their Joe/Cobra counterparts.

Sphinx Commander = Cobra Commander
    Countess = Baroness
    Windsong = Storm Shadow
    Shore Leave = Shipwreck

The only one I'm not sure about was the fat guy with the skin condition who was really into snakes. I want to say he was a Destro parody but I don't see it.
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at realtorva@verizon.net

Rick Jones is online now Keep my glass half-full in '15
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    The only one I'm not sure about was the fat guy with the skin condition who was really into snakes. I want to say he was a Destro parody but I don't see it.
    Haven't put any real thought into it but I'm guessing he might be a callback to another old mainstay like Mindbender, Zartan or Baron Blood. The Destro analogue was decapitated in an OSI flashback (the GI Joe theme parody).
    "I've had the same car since I was 19 years old, and never had a problem, yet this thing falls out of the sky every other Thursday." - Maria Hill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast