toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    simpsonsfan is offline Froakie - Bubble Frog Pokemon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How did the old Toonami get away with airing anime like Gundam Wing during the daytime?

Like This Thread!
    I'm just curious if anyone knows how shows not really for kids were allowed to air during the daytime. I thought I read years ago that Weekday Toonami was removed and replaced with Miguzi because parents didn't think certain animes were good for kids to watch or something along those lines.
    Check out my new blog. It is all about Tech, TV, Music and Books. techplusthings.wordpress.com

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    In short, it happened thanks to a combination of edits and having the right people in charge that were A-OK with pushing boundaries a bit. Though, I don't want to oversell that too much - while a few Toonami programs had appeal for older audiences, TV anime like Gundam Wing were in fact made for a younger audience - and there is no such thing as a Gundam TV anime that wasn't made to reach out to teens and boys first and foremost, including Gundam 00. In general they were not airing actual "anime for adults" in the afternoon.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Dub C is offline Just a animation lovin' dude
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It should also be noted that back then, Toonami also had the "Midnight Run" block. For the daytime Toonami, they pretty much censored some of the material, like blood, words like "damn" & "hell" and the like. The late night airing actually kept the material in. Looking back, it was a really unique situation for an animated show in America
    What has my attention in Animation RIGHT NOW:
    Hunter X Hunter (2011), One Piece, The Legend of Korra, TMNT (2012), Teen Titans Go!, Magi 2, Kill la Kill, A Certain Scientific Railgun

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DeMarco and company have also clarified time and time again that Toonami aired shows that they themselves liked. These guys don't play by the rules of standard television, and are willing to take a lot more risks to honor quality action programming. Honestly, I'd say airing Tenchi back in the day was by far a bigger risk than Gundam. I mean airing a harem anime as a kids show here? Nobody else would have took that risk, even if much of the perverted humor was edited out.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The amount of distribution Cartoon Network had in 2000 was considerably smaller than it is now, so that's a big reason they were able to get away with it.

SpaceCowboy is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A show like Gundam Wing may have also gotten away with a lot more due to having aired in the pre-9/11 era. Action cartoons with war themes, explosions, and the like were not considered too extreme for children back then, IIRC.
    Last edited by SpaceCowboy; 05-30-2013 at 06:52 PM.

TheVileOne is offline Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It was a crazy time to see stuff like Gundam Wing in the afternoons.

I also loved the Midnight Run, it was basically the pre-cursor to Adult Swim anime.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Tohya is offline deficit omne quod nasciture
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Obviosuly you werent around for Toonamis early years. Its not like the block snuck in these shows and turned them into TVs best kept secret. The shows Toonami put out were ridiculously edited, to the point where they no longer resembled there original versions. Take cardcaptor sakura's dub as a reference of how they managed to air a lot of these shows.
    "If that's what it means to be wise, I guess that means I'll be fool all my life" - Naruto, after Jiraiya has told him to wise up and give up on his friend.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohya View Post
    Obviosuly you werent around for Toonamis early years. Its not like the block snuck in these shows and turned them into TVs best kept secret. The shows Toonami put out were ridiculously edited, to the point where they no longer resembled there original versions. Take cardcaptor sakura's dub as a reference of how they managed to air a lot of these shows.
    I thought that Cardcaptor Sakura's dub aired on Kids' WB. I don't remember it airing on Toonami, except for maybe that time when they had Toonami on the Kids' WB afternoon lineup. That was only a couple of weeks or so if I remember correctly.

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I thought that Cardcaptor Sakura's dub aired on Kids' WB. I don't remember it airing on Toonami, except for maybe that time when they had Toonami on the Kids' WB afternoon lineup. That was only a couple of weeks or so if I remember correctly.
    Cardcaptor Sakura actually did air on regular Toonami itself briefly during summer 2001. Of course it had already premiered on KidsWB.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast