toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Master C is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should WB make a DC show for Toonami?

Like This Thread!
    I think WB should make a DC animated show for Toonami. Nothing Batman related, though. We've seen too much of him already. Bruce Wayne deserves a break.

Maybe they could do a series based on Injustice. That would be nice.

Jacob T. Paschal is offline Wolverine by Shida Naotoshi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That would be nice, but what would be the primary source of revenue? Midnight showings of a series that will likely fall under WBA's usual appropriation of money would make an extended series costly to produce, especially if there is a market unwilling to justify the budget.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Should they? Sure. will they? Absolutely not. There's no profit stream for them. No action figures to sell to kids, no merch, no nothing. Adults don't buy mass quantities of cheaply-produced items the way children do, so any project would be shut down since action shows at WB solely depend on merchandising to survive (At least based on what information we have).
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Rynnec is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    Should they? Sure. will they? Absolutely not. There's no profit stream for them. No action figures to sell to kids, no merch, no nothing. Adults don't buy mass quantities of cheaply-produced items the way children do, so any project would be shut down since action shows at WB solely depend on merchandising to survive (At least based on what information we have).
    Wouldn't the comics they're based on count as merchandise though?
    Currently Watching: Darker Than Black

Currently Reading: Tsukihime, Mahou Sensei Negima, Hayate Cross Blade

Currently Playing: No More Heroes, Skyward Sword, Persona 4

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynnec View Post
    Tiny drop in the bucket. Comics are just a licensing clearinghouse for them. Not where the real money is made.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Jacob T. Paschal is offline Wolverine by Shida Naotoshi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynnec View Post
    Assuming the comics are $3 an issue each issue would only make $21,000 an issue in gross if they sold seven thousand copies (Young Justice #24 sold seven thousand copies in January 2013). That doesn't even account for the comic's expenses. Since kids likely don't even bother to buy tie-ins (or comics in general) any more we can assume damn near all seven thousand units of the aforementioned example were from adult fans. Still, an estimated $21,000 isn't even enough to match a tenth of one episode of hypothetical series' budget. Of course, that's not even counting potential home video sales of which who knows how many or few units would pass.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I sadly have to agree with Jacob and Hazuda on this one. Toonami's ratings are likely not good enough to be able to fund a new WB animated series exclusively produced for the block. Western animated action shows rely on merchandise sales to make a profit. It's cheaper and less risky for Toonami to get anime acquisitions or canceled shows that Cartoon Network holds the rights to. Unfortunately, Toonami has said that airing Young Justice and Green Lantern aren't even in the cards, due to the complications of those shows being DC.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I think it would be a great idea. It could provide a bit of variety to the block and an animated superhero series aimed an older audience could be really interesting. Unfortunately, it just isn't possible. The ratings it would get on Toonami would be able to cover the expenses to make it and they may not be able to get as much revenue from the merchandise from older fans too.

swarlock is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I think it would be a great idea. It could provide a bit of variety to the block and an animated superhero series aimed an older audience could be really interesting. Unfortunately, it just isn't possible. The ratings it would get on Toonami would be able to cover the expenses to make it and they may not be able to get as much revenue from the merchandise from older fans too.
    I figured as much. Too bad it has to be like this.

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If DC makes money from adult-targeted DTVs, a Toonami series may be possible. Ideally something Vertigo. I'm hoping for Sandman.
    Please donate to help with my senior project for school: my senior project! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ical/x/1210328
    My blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast