toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by savedbythebell View Post
    I love Yu Yu Hakusho and Outlaw Star but considering how cheap and available the DVD's for those shows are, I'd rather they air Rurouni Kenshin.
    This.

The DVDs are pretty much rare and whatever availability they have shows in their prices. Rurouni Kenshin always had that [adult swim] tone to it anyway. They did a great job editing it for Toonami back in the day. Really anime in general back then on Cartoon Network was edited just fine. It's truly ridiculous how PC television has gotten with animation since then.

TheCtes is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbfoolkid5 View Post

What's special bout Bebop again? For them to ignore Gundam Wing?
    They really like Bebop and they already had that on Adult Swim which wasn't the case with Gundam Wing.

That said, back when they got Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins for the premiere, they did mention an interest in Gundam Wing along with Panty & Stocking, Fairy Tail, The Final Act and One Piece.

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know it will never happen but Mobile Suit Gundam. I know if a Gundam series ever airs on Toonami it will be Wing. That's a disappointment as I never liked Wing.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    Oh dear, there are quite a few, but my top two series would be YuYu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin, both of which never even finished airing on Toonami in the first place.
    I thought Rurouni Kenshin finished airing on the Saturday evening Toonami block (around 2003 or 2004...). Am I misremembering?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnatek View Post
    I know it will never happen but Mobile Suit Gundam. I know if a Gundam series ever airs on Toonami it will be Wing. That's a disappointment as I never liked Wing.
    Yeah, that'd be something - they never finished airing the original "Mobile Suit Gundam" thanks to Sept. 11th, 2001 occurring (they took it off the air), so that'd be nice, to finally see the end of it...

Rynnec is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    RK moved to SVES around the Kyoto arc in late 2003. (Toonami didn't move to saturdays until april 2004)
    Currently Watching: Darker Than Black

Currently Reading: Tsukihime, Mahou Sensei Negima, Hayate Cross Blade

Currently Playing: No More Heroes, Skyward Sword, Persona 4

Cartoon X is offline Lum the Forever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rurouni Kenshin reruns aired on the Saturday Toonami block between November 2004 and March 2005 as "The Best of Rurouni Kenshin," which was basically all the canon episodes of the show up until Kenshin vs. Saito. As for shows I would want back, really, none. I mean, having The Big O's first season back in rotation would be nice, and if they can get it, Megas XLR would be nice to have back, but I'd prefer new to the network shows over reairing shows anytime (unless they can get the classics for cheap and air them instead of Cowboy Bebop or InuYasha and such).
    Aspiring Animator. A Toonami Faithful since January 2005, and proud fan of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since October 2005. Wig Out. Stay Gold.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynnec View Post
    RK moved to SVES around the Kyoto arc in late 2003. (Toonami didn't move to saturdays until april 2004)
    What's SVES? And if Toonami didn't move to Saturday Nights until 2004, what was on Saturday evenings in 2002 and 2003? Adult Swim?

I seem to remember Rurouni Kenshin and Hack//Sign airing on a Saturday night in 2002 or 2003, am I misremembering?

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    What's SVES? And if Toonami didn't move to Saturday Nights until 2004, what was on Saturday evenings in 2002 and 2003? Adult Swim?
    SVES was Cartoon Network's Saturday night action block. The full name was Saturday Video Entertainment System, but it really was Toonami without being Toonami in name. It aired from 2003 until Toonami took over Saturday in 2004. Adult Swim Action was airing at that time, so it would have been airing after CN was done for the night.

Kenshin and SIGN both aired on SVES, so you're not mistaken there.

And just to keep this on-topic, add me to the list of people who would love to see Yu Yu Hakusho back no the block. I know this will never ever happen, but I'd love to see it finally get a true and complete run on Toonami. Same goes for a fully remastered version of Outlaw Star. The show would benefit greatly with one and I hope whoever picks it up from Sunrise *cough*Funimation*cough* would see fit to pony up some money to make a cleanup of the series possible.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, I now vaguely recall those bumpers...didn't know it had a name besides Toonami or Adult Swim.

One follow up question (sorry for going slightly off topic): For how long was Adult Swim Action on Saturday nights? From 2001 till... when?

More on topic: Count me as another one who would like Yu Yu Hakusho to get some proper treatment (to fully air all episodes in order...if DBZ could get that treatment, why couldn't Yu Yu Hakusho?)

Beefy is offline Get to work Toei!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderfly View Post
    One follow up question (sorry for going slightly off topic): For how long was Adult Swim Action on Saturday nights? From 2001 till... when?
    February 23, 2002 - May 19, 2012.
    ASF: You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
    [bump worthy]: You will download Adult Swim bumps because ASF doesn't have them.
    ---------------------
    Welcome back Toonami. I hope Adult Swim treats you better than Cartoon Network did.

The Man in Black is offline I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Beefy is now 'The Date Man'

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Wait, that's the date Toonami came back, right? (as the Saturday night replacement to Adult Swim). But even if Adult Swim was still on the air on Saturday nights all that time, that's not what I'm saying: wasn't it specifically called "Adult Swim Action" for those first 2 or 3 years?

EDIT: Found a video:

Sorry for going slightly off topic, just wanted to clarify my memories...

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding Yu Yu Hakusho, it still makes me facepalm for what happened to it on Toonami. A lot of people forget that it actually wasn't yanked off the block in the middle of new episodes. Toonami actually decided to start reruns of the series all the way back to episode 1, and these reruns lasted for about 2 months. Yu Yu Hakusho wasn't pulled off the block until Zatch Bell replaced it in March of that year. Months later, the Toonami crew had reportedly claimed that low ratings was the reason it got pulled from the block, but I'm skeptical if it was really Chapter Black that scared viewers away or if it was more so going back to reruns with the first episode. After all, why air reruns of it for another 2 months if ratings for new episodes were struggling?

The Man in Black is offline I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really do not remember YYH going back to reruns of early episodes. But in my defense I got behind on a lot of Toonami VHS recordings back around then and it's possibly I just wasn't following closely enough. Either way removing it from the block was lame. Bring it back and give it the IGPX treatment

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man in Black View Post
    I really do not remember YYH going back to reruns of early episodes. But in my defense I got behind on a lot of Toonami VHS recordings back around then and it's possibly I just wasn't following closely enough. Either way removing it from the block was lame. Bring it back and give it the IGPX treatment
    You can see it yourself in my schedule archive from that year, which I compiled by searching old threads on these very forums. I even remember that happening, and I've talked to other Toonami fans who remember it happening too.

Aquadementia is online now Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No love for Robotech?
    It's full of robots! (well, not technically)

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the three series I wouldn't mind seeing again are Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin and 08th MS Team. YYH is a good choice, although at this point, they have enough long shows on the air.

Neo-god is offline Moonrider
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add me for Yu Yu Hakusho. I never watched it when it was originally on Toonami, but I think the amount of censoring to make that pass on CN must have been overkill.

I also never got around to finishing Gundam Wing and G Gundam back in the day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2