toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adult Swim 2013 Upfront announcements

Like This Thread!
    Surprised no one mentioned it yet but Adult Swim made their upfront announcements and there's a big pile of stuff coming down the pipe.

New original series and specials:
    RICK AND MORTY - Rick and Morty is about a genius inventor grandfather and his less than genius grandson, and the journeys in life they share. From Dan Harmon (Community, Channel 101) and Justin Roiland. Animated half-hour.

MR. PICKLES - In Mr. Pickles, the urban sprawl of modern society pollutes the old-fashioned town where the Goodman family lives with their lovable pet dog, Mr. Pickles, a deviant border collie with a secret satanic streak. From creators Will Carsola and Dave Stewart (Funny Or Die Presents Nick Swardson's Pretend Time). Animated quarter-hour.

MIKE TYSON MYSTERIES - In the new animated comedy series Mike Tyson Mysteries, Mike Tyson is taking the fight from the boxing ring to the streets... by solving mysteries! Armed with a magical tattoo on his face and a trusty associate by his side -- a talking pigeon -- if you have a problem that needs solving, Iron Mike is in your corner. The series incorporates live-action appearances featuring Mighty Mike himself, and the gloves come off as the former heavyweight champ and his fowl-mouthed partner gear up for weekly adventures as they put unsolved mysteries -- like how to defeat a super computer at chess or why a famous author/werewolf can't finish his novel -- down for the count. Animated quarter-hour from Warner Bros Animation.

KING STAR KING - King Star King features a punk rock, modern day he-man who falls from the realm of the gods to land as a fry cook in a slummy waffle joint. King Star King must regain his memory to defeat the evil (and adorable) Spring Bunny and rescue his love, the megababe Princess Snow White. Only then will King Star King regain his rightful place in the heavens. From artist JJ Villard (Monsters Vs. Aliens). Animated quarter-hour.

YOUR PRETTY FACE IS GOING TO HELL - This new live-action series from Adult Swim is a workplace comedy about Gary, an associate demon, as he attempts to capture souls on earth in order to climb the corporate ladder of the underworld. Gary hopes to advance in Hell, but he may be too stupid, lazy and kind-hearted to realize his dreams of promotion. Meanwhile, Gary's intern Claude is more talented, more devious and will do whatever it takes to impress Satan. A Williams Street production, the show is created and directed by Dave Willis (Squidbillies, Aqua Teen Hunger Force) and Casper Kelly (Squidbillies, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, Stroker & Hoop). The series is currently presenting premiere episodes on Thursday nights at Midnight ET/PT on Adult Swim. Live-action quarter-hour.

ROBOT CHICKEN DC COMICS SPECIAL II -- Faster than a speeding bullet! Well, maybe not but quality takes time. Stoopid Buddy Stoodios, in partnership with DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, will premiere a sequel to their acclaimed Annie Award-winning Robot Chicken DC Comics Special in 2014. Robot Chicken DC Comics Special II brings you the awesomeness of the DC Comics universe of characters as only Robot Chicken can, with amazing guest stars and the stop-motion sketch comedy you've come to love after six seasons of the popular Adult Swim series. Executive producers for the second Robot Chicken DC Comics Special include Stoopid Monkey's Seth Green and Matthew Senreich, DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns, Warner Bros. Animation's Executive Vice President, Creative Affairs Sam Register, and Stoopid Buddy Stoodios' John Harvatine IV and Eric Towner.

METALOCALPYSE: THE DOOM STAR REQUIEM -- In Metalocalypse: The Doom Star Requiem, we pick up directly after the abduction of Dethklok guitarist Toki Wartooth in the season 4 finale. With his life in danger his only salvation can come from the four most selfish human celebrities on earth-his bandmates, extreme metal band DETHKLOK. Will they be able to get past their own egos to help someone besides themselves? Find out in this one-hour heavy metal rock opera special with a completely original score. Created by Brendon Small, Metalocalypse: The Doom Star Requiem airs in October. Animated one-hour special.

HOT PACKAGE -- Premiering in October on Adult Swim, Hot Package is a live-action fictional Canadian entertainment news program in vein of "Entertainment Tonight," "EXTRA," or "E! News." Hot Package is created by and stars Derrick Beckles (TV Carnage), produced by Abso Lutely, with Derrick Beckles and Dave Kneebone as executive producers. Live-action quarter-hour.
    I'm a bit disappointed that Metalocalypse seems to be ending with a single special and not an entire series, but I am impressed that a majority of the new content is animated. Pretty Face and Hot Package being the outliers.

Also for those playing at home, Mike Tyson Mysteries is Warner Bros Animation's first project with Adult Swim (and yes, Tyson is actually appearing in it in live-action like older 80s series with live-action star names).

The article also mentions the various pilots in the works in addition to returning shows.

Returning series:
    AQUA TV SHOW SHOW
    BLACK DYNAMITE
    THE BOONDOCKS
    CHILDRENS HOSPITAL
    CHECK IT OUT! WITH DR. STEVE BRULE
    CHINA, IL
    EAGLEHEART
    THE ERIC ANDRE SHOW
    THE GREATEST EVENT IN TELEVISION HISTORY
    THE HEART, SHE HOLLER
    INFOMERCIALS
    LOITER SQUAD
    NTSF:SD:SUV::
    ROBOT CHICKEN
    SQUIDBILLIES
    SUPERJAIL!
    THE VENTURE BROS.
    Last edited by Matt Hazuda; 05-10-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

ShadowGUN is offline YES!YES!YES!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Robot Chicken DC special and the Metalocalypse are only thing that sounded interesting to me. Good to see Black Dynamite back.

ChibiGoku is offline Something Not Quite Right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's interesting I personally find is how One Piece is listed as a "Returning Acquisition".

As for the other things... Honestly, I don't even know how to comment about the original series being produced. Never been a fan of a lot of Adult Swim's produced content, except say Aqua Team and Venture Brothers, but I might give King Star King a shot. Unless this already started up and I didn't notice, which tends to be my luck.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
    I might give King Star King a shot. Unless this already started up and I didn't notice, which tends to be my luck.
    The only thing on the list to have already started was Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell, so you're good.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Beefy is offline It only hurts forever.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Still no new Titan Maximum.
    Glad to see everything else returning though.
    ASF: You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
    [bump worthy]: You will download Adult Swim bumps because ASF doesn't have them.
    ---------------------
    Welcome back Toonami. I hope Adult Swim treats you better than Cartoon Network did.

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Glad to see everything else returning though.
    I think its clear that Titan is dead.

And it's about time that WBA started making adult animated shows.

Sadsic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mike Tyson Mysteries, Rick & Morty, the Metalocalypse Movie and Hot Package all sound pretty great, looking forward to most of the returning series too

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet

I think its clear that Titan is dead.

And it's about time that WBA started making adult animated shows.
    Hoping they do Sandman for Toonami...
    Please donate to help with my senior project for school: my senior project! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ical/x/1210328
    My blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/

DeanBurrito25 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I couldn't stop cracking up at the Mike Tyson show synopsis. Looking forward to that show as well as Dan Harmon's cartoon and the return of Black Dynamite and Superjail.

And yeah, it is pretty great that Warner Bros. Animation is still planning to delve into more mature shows after Seth McFarlane's "Flinstones" reboot fell through, huh?

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    WBA is actually making a show for Adult Swim?!? It's about time!

They should have done this sooner. They're part of the corporate higher-ups that own Turner; they should have gone together like bread and butter.

It's really late in the game, but I'm glad they're finally taking the initiative. I'm hoping it's well-animated (or at least better animated than some of that ugly crap that AS has churned out for several years) and leads to more productions from them if successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    They announced its cancellation two years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast