toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Should there be a catch up special?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 66.67%
  • No

2 13.33%
  • Maybe

2 13.33%
  • I Don't Think Toonami Will Bother With One

1 6.67%
  • People Still Remember Clip Shows?

0 0%
    Neo Ultra Mike is offline 6000+ Posts In Space!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Should There Be A One Piece Catch Up Special?

Like This Thread!

Now those of us who watched and remembered back during Cartoon Network's Saturday Toonami about 8-7 years ago know that when an anime was fairly popular, chances are not only would it actually get rerun slots on weekdays, but that Toonami would even air special episode specific promos for each upcoming new release. Why? It was a way of trying to get people invested in the show who may of missed an episode or two or maybe hadn't really been paying attention but wanted to check it out. Of course there was another way of catching people up that Toonami did for it's most popular series at the time:

The One Hour Catch Up Special.

Both Naruto and Zatch Bell after a certain amount of time on the air (Naruto after the Chunin exams's third round was over, Zatch Bell after episode 26 and then after episode 52) had a special american only Catch Up Special. Which was pretty much an excuse to showcase clips of previous episodes with narration trying to put it into some sort of actual story. Like it actually was part of the show's canon (well the Zatch Bell ones anyway) and happened between the episode before and the episode after it. Still the point was mostly just making sure people remembered key elements or battles or characters or plot points from the series in case they missed a specific episode. And this talk of One Piece coming back to Toonami got me thinking:

Should One Piece Have A Catch Up Special?

Now for those of you who haven't heard, One Piece will be back on May 18th on Toonami but starting at episode 207. The 4th "Season" of OP and the start of the Davy Black Fight Arc. Why is the show starting there? Because starting over at the beginning wouldn't really interest folks and 207 is when the show actually went widescreen HD in Japan so seems like as good a place as any for Toonami Adult Swim to start showing it. Problem is that there are going to be people coming on May 18th who may of never seen One Piece and haven't been watching the sub release of the epsodes or read the manga. Or even those who were following the show when it ran on Toonami years back when the show ended midway through Skypeia who may be lost on what happened. And really starting with the slower episodes most likely aren't going to keep people's interest up in the show, which is why I propose the idea of A One Piece Catch Up Special.

All you need to do is on May 11th have Toonami/Funimation cut together a various selection of clips of OP and run an hour of them explaining the show's premise, the characters, the plot points and what's happened so far in the various arcs of OP. You know a way of condencing the previous 206 episodes of OP down so you can have people go into it at 207 and not be totally loss. Since at least the basics would be covered in the catch up special and hey may give people more incentive to buy the DVDs/ read the manga of the material they missed.

So what do you think of this idea? You think it's something that should be considered/done or should they not bother and just have the show air from 207 without bothering to explain anything that happened before it? Talk about that here people.
    Instead of just using this new signature to celebrate a thousand more post, let me list of all the great things you can expect of me on this board for 2012:

...... The same talkbacks you saw me do last year but with new episodes.

.... What are you doing still reading this? Move to the next post already! .

Nobodyman is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Straight from the horse's mouth:

Quote Originally Posted by Toonami
    We know we’re skipping ahead a bunch, but we think this is a great place to start- plus, it’ll be in HD! For those of you who are worried you won’t be able to jump in to the story, don’t worry! Go to Funimation.com now and you can watch ALL of the older episodes, plus there are a bunch of cool little video “catch up” pieces for folks who just want the overview. In addition, our friends at Funimation are working on some “orientation/catch up” pieces we’ll be putting on Toonami.
    Crunchyroll - "One Piece" to Join Toonami Block Starting May 18

Yep, I think it would be great if Toonami aired some "catch-up" videos (and it looks like they're going to). It certainly couldn't hurt.

Beefy is offline Get to work Toei!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FUNi also made one for Dragonball GT, since it did not start airing on Toonami from the beginning either.
    ASF: You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
    [bump worthy]: You will download Adult Swim bumps because ASF doesn't have them.
    ---------------------
    Welcome back Toonami. I hope Adult Swim treats you better than Cartoon Network did.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They're doing some catch-up videos but probably nothing episode length.

An episode length or hour long catch-up special certainly wouldn't hurt but I trust they'll be able to cover enough of the key material in their catch-up videos.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

The Man in Black is online now I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I will say that hopefully any One Piece catch-up promos they do will explain more stuff than that Bleach one did. "Luffy ate a gum-gum fruit and now he's stretch armstrong. They're all looking for the lost treasure of gold roger but they keep running into more adversaries along the way. There's too much to mention here, you'll have to watch 200 episodes online somewhere." That (not that it would actually say that) but that would be pretty weak). Clearly they need to play the 4Kids rap intro as an interstitial.

vegeta95748 is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't effect me either way. I think I can power my way through 200 episodes before the start of 207 on Toonami.

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any catch up promos or specials would help get new fans into the series. I still don't think One Piece has as much continuity lock out as some might think, as Oda has designed it so his arcs are easy for new people to dive into. How do you think One Piece's target audience manages to jump right in to the current episodes or chapters just fine? Certainly not all of One Piece's viewers are veterans who have watched since Day 1. Plus, its not like the anime itself doesn't have its own ways of recapping certain things. We're actually fortunate starting at Davy Back because immediately after is the Oceans Dreams filler arc, which focuses on the Straw Hats' memories.

The Man in Black is online now I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Either way I plan on watching up to 206 before May 18th.

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now I have a reason to buy the DVD's again. Granted I already have up to past where they are airing, but I think it would have been more of an injustice to start airing in the Middle of Skypiea after One Piece was off the air so long, even though that is where they left off. I would assume the return of One Piece to Toonami also gives us a very good chance of season 5 and on being released on DVD/ Blu Ray as soon as FUNi gets them dubbed (since we haven't heard of anything past season 4 being dubbed).

Of course many people may be disappointed that the return of One Piece moves Soul Eater back by half an hour, but oh well. You win some, and you lose some, but now Toonami will have Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, and Soul Eater back-to-back-to-back-to-back.

And just to think that this announcement has basically overshadowed the return of IGPX to Toonami next Saturday (replacing Sym-Bionic Titan).
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

veemonjosh is online now The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigddan11 View Post
    And just to think that this announcement has basically overshadowed the return of IGPX to Toonami next Saturday (replacing Sym-Bionic Titan).
    It's not really replacing Sym-Bionic Titan, they're moving that down to 3:30.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Looney Tunes Fan is offline Classic Cartoon Fan!!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anything it's just replacing a slot of Cowboy Bebop. (For IGPX I mean).

Back on topic, I know I will never get through 206 episodes before the 18th
    I love classic cartoons!!
    If you're a fan of classic cartoons, please visit The IAD Forums! It's the place to talk and chat about your favorite cartoons! Run by eutychus, this site has brought back a bunch of GAC members, and some toonzone members are over there too! Check it out today!: http://www.intanibase.com/forum/index.php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A 30 minute special before toonami would be nice.

adyniz is offline Surgeon of Death
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, there should be one. A lot of stuff happened before Long Ring Long Land. So yeah, a special would be a nice way to bring newbies in the loop.

trance2009 is offline Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just saw the new promo. They're starting it like right in the midst.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Good promo. I especially liked when TOM said "if you haven't seen One Piece, you haven't lived"

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Matt Hazuda is online now Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funimation has posted a few (Storyline) in 60 Second videos to get you caught up on One Piece.

Arlong Park
    Alabasta
    Skypiea
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

firecrouch is offline A Pimp of Science!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just saw them, if that's what Toonami's airing that's pretty bad. They don't really tell you much and more importantly they're too shorty. Hopefully if this is what's going on Toonami they should at least have these for every arc in the first three seasons.

Matt Hazuda is online now Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, these haven't aired on Toonami. They were made for online use most likely (I haven't seen them on TV at least).
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

ChildHood90s is offline Loves his coffee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    These look and sound like they're trying to be Toonami promos... kinda a fun approach! Since there's no narrarator, that leaves the focus on the show's dialogue, which feels like a mature approach.

These are a bit lacking in detail though. Still, it gets me interested.

Hypeathon is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    Just saw them, if that's what Toonami's airing that's pretty bad. They don't really tell you much and more importantly they're too shorty. Hopefully if this is what's going on Toonami they should at least have these for every arc in the first three seasons.
    I'm not the most impressed with these quickies either, but let's be frank. Unless there's recap episodes for these story arcs, (which to my knowledge, none of the episodes before Davy Back Fight have that at all), then everyone's better off taking the time to watch the show on Funimation.com or Onepieceofficial.com. Yeah, it would mean a bunch of folks will be behind, won't have much of a clue of what's going if they haven't watched the show and would have no time to catch up on all the episodes prior in time for next week (my girlfriend and her niece and a couple of my friends fall into this category unfortunately), but what else can be done other than air from episode 1 which isn't happening? I mean everyone has been wanting Toonami to get that extra 11 o' clock hour since it came back, but there's not much that can be done about that either unless the ratings constantly skyrocket or something.

The way I see it, if those quickies can serve any kind of purpose at all, it's to make people who've never seen the show wonder even more about the show and just watch it on Onepieceofficial, Funimation, Hulu, Toonzaki or Vizanime. Although I wonder why Funimation doesn't just show select clips of past season sets of the show on Youtube like they do with most of their other shows?