toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Talon is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will Adult Swim Lose The FOX Cartoons?

Like This Thread!
    I was thinking about the new adult-animation block that FOX wants to start up this summer, ADHD, after seeing a trailer for Axe Cop. This made me think, surely FOX wouldn't want anymore of their shows on AS, seeing as they want to compete with AS with ADHD.

So, how long would AS have the rights to the FOX cartoons if FOX doesn't want to renew their relationship with them?

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure. Thing is, ADHD is only a one night block. Fox still has much to gain having AS and TBS rerun them, money wise. However, wasn't there talks of Fox and Dreamworks possibly teaming up to launch a new channel? If that's the case, Fox would likely want those shows airing there. There's also the chance a competitor could outbid AS for the rights to those shows whenever they do expire, which Comedy Central did for Futurama.

ChildHood90s is offline Loves his coffee
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A Dreamworks/Fox channel, huh? I wonder what AS will do with its programming if Family Guy/Cleveland leave.... More Toonami? More Live-Action? All I have to contribute is speculation...

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Adult Swim's contracts will expire with Fox eventually, unless they keeping renewing them.

They have Family Guy till 2015, so that show is safe with them for a couple more years. They also only premiered The Cleveland Show about half a year ago, so I'm pretty sure they'll be keeping it for a long time.

They've had King of the Hill for four years now, so I'm guessing that will probably be out of their hands soon. I'm not sure about American Dad, but as long as Fox keeps renewing it, AS might still have reason to keep renewing their contract for that.

RandomMe is offline Around and About
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Maybe they will stop airing FOX's cartoons in a few years. But how did the never air The Simpsons? Maybe let's cross our fingers and wait for 2018, Adult Swim has become a standalone network, The Simpsons Channel is born and... well... that's it.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Adult Swim would fall apart without Family Guy and lose a lot of ratings without American Dad and The Cleveland Show so they'll do what they have to in order to hold on to at least Family Guy (and so will TBS). The landscape of Adult Swim would drastically change if they had less FOX shows but FOX really has no reason to take Family Guy away from Turner when it does so well on Adult Swim and TBS and the way AS reruns of American Dad constantly beat Futurama is enough indication that it's not just the show but also the venue that matters toward their success. Adult Swim may eventually part with King of the Hill but it serves as a buffer and it may be cheap enough to renew for that purpose. AS doesn't want to lose their newly achieved status for prime time ratings which they only were able to get with FOX reruns including King of the Hill. Being out-bid is certainly a possibility but Turner values Family Guy heavily for both AS and TBS so I think they'd be willing to outbid other networks to keep it.

In short, I don't see Adult Swim losing the FOX reruns any time soon. Maybe not even KotH if it's cheap enough to keep around.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikun View Post
    They've had King of the Hill for four years now, so I'm guessing that will probably be out of their hands soon.
    The version of KOTH they're using is the syndicated package; any network can have that. Family Guy is not the syndicated version, but a less-edited version delivered directly from Fox.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's been a while, but they've finally returned....press kits, prototypes, gorgeous neon signs, Sonic with a watermelon.....it must be THINGS YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE, Summer '14 Edition!

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    AS really got lucky with Family Guy, because it had been cancelled by Fox back when they did pick it up. It was considered a failure at the time, so I'm sure Turner got a really good bargain. Of course we all know the success in reruns led to the revival on Fox and it has remained on the air since. Had things occurred differently, who knows what would have happened.

It's a bit sad how much AS relies on reruns of Family Guy and other Fox shows to stay afloat. They tend to do better than even premieres of their own originals. The only AS original that tends to come close to it in ratings is Robot Chicken, which of course has ties to Family Guy (Seth Green is a main cast member on both, and MacFarlane himself tends to guest star on Robot Chicken frequently).

ChildHood90s is offline Loves his coffee
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    All this talk makes me wonder if AS has any plans to make Prime Time worthy shows, just in case they do lose a couple FOX reruns.

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomMe View Post
    But how did the never air The Simpsons?
    The fans didn't want it, plain and simple. (I remember seeing footage of a con panel years ago where AS brought it up and there was a wide reaction.) We got enough Fox shows as it is, and their dependence on them has only worsened over time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast