toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    zetastrike is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lack of classic anime

Like This Thread!
    Is anyone else disappointed that Toonami doesn't seem to have any interest in airing classic (80s- early 90s) anime? That's really my favorite era and I think it's a shame that no one will give anything old a chance. I'd love to see them air Zeta Gundam, Macross, Dirty Pair, Saint Seiya, or anything else that's good and has a dub. I guess I'm not the biggest fan of their lineup right now.

vegeta95748 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No, not really. I would love to see Fist of the North Star on Toonami, but a lot of those animes have had their day. I would much rather Toonami put money into buying new series that haven't been very much exposed, rather than ones that have been around for 20-25 years.

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Toonami crew has made it very clear that they don't intend to be a nostalgia block. They're treating Toonami as if it never went off the air by continuing to showcase newer shows. Technically, we do have Cowboy Bebop as a classic 90s anime (it was produced and aired in Japan from 1998-1999). Of course, some fans are hating on Bebop due to how long Adult Swim has been airing it.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I'm not upset with the lack of classic anime on the lineup. While I wouldn't mind seeing some older titles on the lineup, I would much rather see them use their budget for shows that are more recent and/or haven't had much exposure.

Dub C is offline Just a animation lovin' dude
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As good as the old stuff is, I rather Toonami continue to give us more modern flavors of anime. Let's let shows like Soul Eater, Deadman Wonderland, and what ever other shows they have for us down the road get a chance to be 'Toonami Classics'.
    What has my attention in Animation RIGHT NOW:
    Hunter X Hunter (2011), One Piece, The Legend of Korra, TMNT (2012), Teen Titans Go!, Magi 2, Kill la Kill, A Certain Scientific Railgun

dumbfoolkid5 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like to see more classic shows too. Especially Gundam Wing.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using toonzone. And I'm a loner at heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Star Blazers on Toonami FTW!

aegisrawks is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think its best that Toonami focuses on New and Modern anime... but if I had to pick an classic anime I'd pick GATCHAMAN!

Gatomon41 is offline Deo confidimus.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub C View Post
    As good as the old stuff is, I rather Toonami continue to give us more modern flavors of anime. Let's let shows like Soul Eater, Deadman Wonderland, and what ever other shows they have for us down the road get a chance to be 'Toonami Classics'.
    Indeed. Toonami lived by bringing the edgiest and action filled series to the West. Many shows which are now considered classic were just years old when they first premiered on Toonami back in the 90's/early 2000's.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.” - Salvor Hardin, Asimov's Foundation.

Pro vita quad spes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The reason why we haven't seen anymore "classics" return to Toonami is because of a combination of licensing issues, being too expensive of an acquisition or that the ratings wouldn't justify airing it. That's not to say that we won't see anymore as I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more show up, although at the moment, the only "classic" Toonami show with a realistic possibility of returning is Yu Yu Hakusho (and even then the budget needs to improve before they can get airing rights).

Not that I'm complaining. It'd be awful if the block was a nostalgia block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatomon41
    Indeed. Toonami lived by bringing the edgiest and action filled series to the West. Many shows which are now considered classic were just years old when they first premiered on Toonami back in the 90's/early 2000's.
    To be fair, many of the shows they did air back in 1998-2004 had finished up airing years ago (or in Tenchi-Muyo! case, the OVA 2 had been finished for nearly five years). Dragon Ball/Z, Sailor Moon, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wings and Tenchi-Muyo were all popular shows and had finished in Japan by the time Toonami acquired them (heck, the only show that was "new" to American audience out of the five shows mentioned was Gundam Wings).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast