toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

RandomMe is offline Around and About
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)

Robot Chicken now in Portugal!

Like This Thread!
    Apparently some low-budget channel specializing in horror movies and some shows (MOV) started aring Robot Chicken recently. I believe it has subtitles. It airs three episodes in a row. They started with the SW sub-series. Is this just one step ahead for the launch of CN Portugal?
    Anyone may believe that we must have half of the Adult Swim shows over here in two years. For 2013, it's quite simply a fair start with one of their famous shows!

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    CN isn't in Portugal already? I was under the impression that it was.

EDIT: According to this, it's been in Portugal since 1997.

CartoonNetRulzz is offline a.k.a. BlooMac
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikun View Post
    CN isn't in Portugal already? I was under the impression that it was.

EDIT: According to this, it's been in Portugal since 1997.
    From what I know, Portugal have the pan-European version of Cartoon Network. But he was saying that they don't have it in their own language.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CartoonNetRulzz View Post
    From what I know, Portugal have the pan-European version of Cartoon Network. But he was saying that they don't have it in their own language.
    But we did have some of its shows in "mah language" on terrestrial channels in the past.
    CN HQ has been here not since 1997, but since at least 1993/1994 when cable television began in my country.
    And yes, it has subtitles.

Red Arrow :D is offline Proud Beneluxer
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Oh, it has subtitles! Why do you want a Portuguese feed? That'll probably air everything in English with subtitles as well. Does Boomerang EMEA have subtitles as well?

Here, they aired a lot of cartoons in English with subtitles from 1997 until 2001 and it was really popular. Then, they canceled CN Netherlands(/Flanders) and replaced it by CN EMEA with a Dutch dub. Almost nobody wanted to watch it anymore, so CN became a digital tv channel.

Cow and Chicken was hilarious in Dutch (Cow's Dutch voice is amazing, I wish I had her laugh as my ringtone XD), all the other cartoons were much better in English.

By the way: in Flanders, ''Acht'' used to air Adult Swim programs. But since they've launched TNT Netherlands/Flanders in 2012 (which isn't free), all the Adult Swim programs airs on that channel. Both channels airs everything with subtitles.

I'm probably not the only one who has seen the promo of TNT Netherlands/Flanders already: A DRAMATIC SURPRISE ON A QUIET SQUARE - YouTube

(I don't like Robot Chicken btw )

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Arrow :D View Post
    Oh, it has subtitles! Why do you want a Portuguese feed? That'll probably air everything in English with subtitles as well. Does Boomerang EMEA have subtitles as well?

Here, they aired a lot of cartoons in English with subtitles from 1997 until 2001 and it was really popular. Then, they canceled CN Netherlands(/Flanders) and replaced it by CN EMEA with a Dutch dub. Almost nobody wanted to watch it anymore, so CN became a digital tv channel.

Cow and Chicken was hilarious in Dutch (Cow's Dutch voice is amazing, I wish I had her laugh as my ringtone XD), all the other cartoons were much better in English.

By the way: in Flanders, ''Acht'' used to air Adult Swim programs. But since they've launched TNT Netherlands/Flanders in 2012 (which isn't free), all the Adult Swim programs airs on that channel. Both channels airs everything with subtitles.

I'm probably not the only one who has seen the promo of TNT Netherlands/Flanders already: A DRAMATIC SURPRISE ON A QUIET SQUARE - YouTube

(I don't like Robot Chicken btw )
    My dream version of CN (CN Portugal) should be entirely dubbed, with dubbed AS shows at around midnight. There may also be the possibility to change the audio to english. Boomerang HQ doesn't have subtitles, sorry I already explained you about the channels where I can change the audio and you explained me about the channels where you can change the audio through your Belgacom basic package. As a side note, the "myzen" channels are available on my ZON package as three separate channels (the nature one should be useful for making lo-fi adventure movies with a cardboard box) and your indication that the three VRT channels are also available with audio track for blind people. RTP doesn't have enough budget to cover the entire schedule for deaf people.
    Back to the topic: I've seen an episode of it on MOV, and we, bizarrely enough, got the censored version.
    Time for a little backstory of mine feat. AS: i used to watch some AS programming on certain mornings in August of 2011, Due to timezone issues, of course! I remember seeing full Robot Chicken episodes for the first time, as well as other shows such as Stroker and Hoop and NTSF:SD:SUV. I also remember seeing AS handing over to CN... at 11 o'clock in the morning! (happy).
    About the TNT launch promo, i remember listening to "Buzz" on Antena 3 (what may be your country's MNM). One time, that show (which features the day's trending topics on social networks) featured the video of the Belgian version. I liked it. Later on, it launched in the Netherlands with a similar campaign.
    On MOV's facebook page, there are people who hate the decision of MOV airing Robot Chicken. Some people said that it should air on SIC Radical (which may be your country's Acht, except that SIC Radical airs less shows and more extreme cooking shows and el cheapo reality shows) but since RTP has the 90% exclusive rights to WB's catalog (SIC stole the rights to the fiest S-D live action movie and the first HP movie). Many fans "praised" MOV airing Robot Chicken, meaning that the show was "a breath of fresh air" to many viewers.
    MOV airs it subtitled, because, like in your side of Belgium, only children's shows and movies are dubbed. MOV airs movies and shows. it does not have an AS block, sorry.
    For my dream version of CN (Cartoon Network Portugal), all AS shows need to be uncensored (they must air after midnight). Swears on Portuguese TV are rare. Even rarer than swears on American TV.
    Some last off-topic thing before i end: we have a show called "5 para a Meia-Noite" (5 to Midnight) which has occasional swears floating in and out of the whole. Though some sketches during the middle of the interviews of this live show are sometimes censored.
    (Man, do I need to make so many blog posts about television in Portugal?)
    (someday i will listen to cow's dutch laugh)